Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Running costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’d check out the actual running cost of my M3 SR+ by extracting data from TeslaFi.
Not a very big data sample, just 1200 miles (readings from odometer) over a couple of months. (I don’t do many miles) and charges at home only using Octopus Go (5p per KWH). Worked out to be just 2.3p per mile - this includes pre-heating, sentry mode everywhere except at home and any other drains on the battery like bad weather etc. I was quite pleased with these figures compared with my previous ICE vehicle (Lexus hybrid) which averaged probably about 10 times that amount.
:)

Thats good,

Ive just check my check meter, i have installed before my car charger, Only charged at home (except 1 20min Suoecharge, but that was free ), so this includes all Kwh used for car charging, over 5 weeks i have done 2674k and this equates to 5.2p per mile at 12pper Kwh flat rate electricity cost. - Still not bad.

SR+ always preheat and sentry etc....

and should improve in the summer...

SR+ No Aero Covers, Free Charging at work, Octopus Go

Numbers so far (Excel not Teslafi):
Miles Driven: 5200
Electricity Used: 1800kWh
Electricity Costs (all charges): £135
3p per mile
Average 346 Wh/m

Didn’t pre-heat for a while. It’s been quite wet. I drive it the same as the old car.

So I have driven 3180 miles since end of September, only charged on octopus go overnight or free chargers (thank you Tesco) whenever I can. According to teslafi all in I have spent £49.50 which works out at 1.6p a mile. crikey! And that's not even in the summer when I can charge from the solar panels. Love it!

Reactions: tess19
4000 miles and probably in the region of £80 in electricity.

a mix of free scottish charging, 5p kwh octopus at night and occasional supercharging on long trips. (spent about £40 on supercharging in total)

so i’m getting it at about 2p/mile

M3P
2942 miles
1180 kWh charged
280 kWh free
735 kWh at home at a cost of £54.35
162 kWh at superchargers at a cost of £38.88
~3p per mile
322 Wh/mile according to teslafi but works out at 400 Wh/mile if you do 1180 kWh / 2942 miles

SR+ No Aero Covers, Free Charging at work, Octopus Go

Numbers so far (Excel not Teslafi):
Miles Driven: 5200
Electricity Used: 1800kWh
Electricity Costs (all charges): £135
3p per mile
Average 346 Wh/m

Didn’t pre-heat for a while. It’s been quite wet. I drive it the same as the old car.
Is there a way to see how much electricity used without having teslafi please?

The car keeps an internal tally of DC and AC kWh added, but you need access to the internal diagnostics for that (you can get at this with an OBD-ii cable and dongle set - see ScanMyTesla (OBD-ii & app) titbits I've learned

Otherwise, even with teslaFi, you can only get the running total starting from when you begin collecting the info, or for commercially bought kWh you may be able to add up your receipts/invoices - e.g. you can get your supercharging kWh from Tesla SSO – Login

Reactions: freekie
Best I got in M3P+ for driving like a granny is 305Wh/mile. 90miles in light rain, 5'C at night. That is because it says i will get home with 7% left. Normally, i get about 360-400Wh/mile on my normal 10mile commute
Over short distances, at this time of year, that is quite likely, and 10 miles does quality as short in my terms . If you do a longer journey it rapidly starts to come down significantly in my experience. I do a regular 120 mile journey in my LR mainly A roads averaging 50mph, It starts out 400+ but rapidly comes down once you get over 15 miles. ends up 290-300 average. Obviously P+ would be a little worse due to the wheels and tyres.
But it's no different in an ICE. I get 50ish mpg in my Octavia VRS on that same route but when my wife has it for the week with her 10 mile commute she averages no better than low 30s