Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ - GPS and Cameras stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this morning, went to pull out of my garage. Noticed the screen was dark and not going brighter. Put the car in reverse and backup camera was black. Then when driving I noticed my GPS was not working, map appears but the card doesn't move on the page.

Then while driving I noticed none of the visualization is working, cars are not appearing, lines not showing, etc.

Tried a reboot twice, still same issue. Installed 2020.4.1 last week.

Anyone else see this? Thanks!

This happened to me yesterday. Same software version. Appears to affect all light sensing devices. Back up camera, perimeter cameras, windshield rain sensor, and brightness sensor for dashboard display. And GPS was frozen. Occurred in the middle of the day, many days after the latest software update. Tried two reboots and no effect. Then this morning, all was working normally. No additional software update. Didn’t Plug in either over night. Strange.

If “Software Failing To Load” correctly is going to be a continuing issue, the ability of the vehicle owner to “Hard Reset/Reboot” needs to be an option/ability.

Having to wait three weeks for an available appointment at the Service Center, and driving a vehicle that is not functioning as purchased during this time is growing increasingly annoying..

Add to that the fact that it is Mardi Gras time here, and all visiting family and friends wants to see/ride in the new car, and I spend more time trying to explain how “it is supposed to work” is frustrating. As well as hearing over and over, “see, that’s why I could never have a Tesla.”

Reactions: Chemios
Similar thing happened to me this afternoon as well. Backup camera was working when I arrived to work. Then suddenly stopped working when I left for lunch. After work, I did the soft reboot (scroll wheel press and hold), and hard reboot (scroll wheel+brake). I also attempted toggling the backup camera on and off, and switching the selector from Park to Reverse to Drive alternatively. I also tried turning the car off via safety and security. Then waiting 3 minutes to turn back on. None worked. It suddenly started working after charging for 2 hours.

I checked the teslacam, and confirmed the recording only for the backup camera stopped working around lunch time.

Reactions: Bry2001
This happened to me yesterday after installing a new software version the day before. Model 3 SR+, software version 2021.4.18.2. GPS froze, cameras stopped working (and everything relying on the cameras), the screen brightness didn't automatically change. Tried soft reboot, hard reboot, power off. I also got a warning that the eCall emergency system needed service, so I booked an appointment.

I read on some other threads that it might be because a corrupt USB device for the sentry cam footage so I unplugged that as well. The issues were not resolved immediately, but after about an hour of driving it all started working again. I sincerely doubt it was due to the USB device. If a bad USB device can cause this much issues then there is some major refactoring needed in the Tesla software.

I'll keep my service appointment and will hopefully get a comment from Tesla after that.

Reactions: Patrick66
I had Tesla tell me to re-format the USB drive the first time I had a no-cause shutdown, but today on 2023.27.12 I lost cameras and GPS. Removed USB drive and rebooted twice, no change. Will wait a couple hours to see if it self-resolves.