Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Steering Wheel Functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a Model S for 3 years and 73K miles and can tell you that the buttons and scroll wheels can be confusing. On the left side, the scroll wheel controls audio volume, and the buttons above and below are for "next" and "previous." That can be next track, or next favorite radio station, or maybe some other stuff depending on context. On the right side, the scroll wheel is programmable to do a number of functions like open sunroof, raise/lower fan speed, raise/lower climate control temperature, or select from a context sensitive menu. The upper button initiates voice control, and the lower one brings up a menu. Either scroll wheel can be pressed in to select and, if held in, will allow the selection of different apps (nav/radio/phone/clock) for that side of the binnacle. Obviously that last one won't apply to the 3. Hold both scroll wheels down to reboot the center screen, and hold both upper buttons down to reboot the instrument panel (nevermind!). It took weeks for me to learn how all this stuff worked and for it to become second nature.

I'm intrigued by the scroll wheels with apparent lack of buttons. I also have this nagging gut feeling that the large blank area on the bottom spoke is going to be used for something. It's just so much bigger than the same area on S and X. It's the wrong orientation for a touchpad, but still could be useful for something. Maybe that's the spaceship part yet to be revealed.

• Informative
Reactions: Chewy3 and ikjadoon
I had a feature-rich clock radio like that, where the same buttons did different things depending on order of use and context. It made the simplest things ridiculously complicated.
Is this where I yell at kids to get off my lawn?
Robin

any idea how those scroll wheels interact with the infotainment system? seems like its going to be a PITA to do simple tasks in the model 3 that my 5 year old honda can do easily from the steering wheel -- like change volume or radio station.

Right; the idea of buttons -> screens assumes they know how to design UI and eloquently utilize the few buttons they have. It's either going to be the "novel iPod scroll wheel for cars" or my signature will probably get another line, :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be any harder to do stuff than any other car. Like @ikjadoon mentioned, it'll be context sensitive. You might have to change the context using one of the wheels but then the other wheel will perform functions based on that context. Or, there could be dedicated controls on the back of the steering wheel for common functions like volume, answer/disconnect a call, etc.

Right, customization would be helpful. Or, exactly, it could be behind the steering wheel, like on some bigger SUVs:

CLRAYoA.jpg

Seriously ppl why are you still debating this? We solved this question weeks ago. Left scroll wheel is for acceleration/braking/reverse, right wheel for steering left/right. Shmon, guis

We did? I cant tell if you're being serious or not. Still don't know why they couldn't have just put a model S steering wheel on. Would have looked waaay better than what's on the RC cars.

Reactions: zenmaster
Volume Up/Down is needed universally. I think one of the buttons up/down will always be volume up/down

Left/Right can be used for next track/previous track, and maybe even answer call/hang up call.

Something has to do voice control.

Pushing one of the buttons in for 3 seconds could do voice control, where a quick push can do something else.

the other button will control things on the screen, like scrolling through car info, and scrolling the right hand side of the screen through maps, music section, climate control, and everything else.

Something has to do voice control.

Pushing one of the buttons in for 3 seconds could do voice control, where a quick push can do something else.
So maybe a Model S/X owner will answer this: Is creating voice activation system awareness only with a button? No verbal cue like "Hey, Siri"? Since Musk talked about being able to name your car on the old Colbert Report, I was hoping the system could be customized to "listen" when a driver says "Hey, (insert name here)".

So maybe a Model S/X owner will answer this: Is creating voice activation system awareness only with a button? No verbal cue like "Hey, Siri"? Since Musk talked about being able to name your car on the old Colbert Report, I was hoping the system could be customized to "listen" when a driver says "Hey, (insert name here)".
Only with a button.

Ok, here's a likely scenario. Left wheel controls volume universally. Flick that wheel left or right for previous / next, press to mute. That pretty much mirrors today's functionality on that side. Right wheel programmable for various functions, press to select. Press and hold for voice command. Still wondering about that bottom spoke.

Have we seen anything indicating whether the wheel telescopes? I think we've seen a button to tilt it, but no indication it telescopes like the Model S. And no indication whether you have to manually move the wheel, or it's motorized.
I would assume it telescopes (is there any vehicle today that doesn't have that feature?) but most likely manual. Less cost and complexity. Just my assumption though.

Concerned about the Autopilot interface. With the AP stalk missing, how does one...
1. TACC/AP cancel (Model S/X stalk: push)... could be just brake/steer manually?
2. TACC +1/-1 mph (Model S/X stalk: small up/down)
3. TACC +5/-5 mph (Model S/X stalk: large up/down)
4. TACC following distance (Model S/X stalk: twist)... could be just a menu option?

I get that the right wheel would do various things, depending on the currently selected function. But, don't we want AP speed control readily available all the time?

Also, I guess with the Model 3 there will not be an option for Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) without AutoSteer?
APstalk.png

I had a feature-rich clock radio like that, where the same buttons did different things depending on order of use and context. It made the simplest things ridiculously complicated.
Is this where I yell at kids to get off my lawn?
Robin

My first digital watch was like that. Changing the time involved four steps just to get to the change screen and one step required pressing three of the five buttons at the same time! When the battery died, I tossed it.

Concerned about the Autopilot interface. With the AP stalk missing, how does one...
1. TACC/AP cancel (Model S/X stalk: push)... could be just brake/steer manually?
2. TACC +1/-1 mph (Model S/X stalk: small up/down)
3. TACC +5/-5 mph (Model S/X stalk: large up/down)
4. TACC following distance (Model S/X stalk: twist)... could be just a menu option?

I get that the right wheel would do various things, depending on the currently selected function. But, don't we want AP speed control readily available all the time?

Also, I guess with the Model 3 there will not be an option for Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) without AutoSteer?View attachment 232595

1. Cancel both with upward lift into D
2. Right scroll wheel small movement?
3. Right scroll wheel large movement (could be just continuous +1 MPH that changes rapidly)?
4. Good question. A menu item would be barely acceptable unless it was on screen when AP was in use.

What I might do:

Left scroll wheel: Audio controls.
Standard Mode:
Press: Off (mute) / On
Roll: Volume control
Press Left: track / station mode
Roll: change track or station
Press: set (i.e. return to standard mode)
Press Right: Source select more
Roll: change source (CD, radio, USB)
Press: set (i.e. return to standard mode)

That would seem to be all the things I want to do while driving, with one wheel, with the only thing needing to be remembered, being left vs right.

I might add:
Long Press: Phone mode...

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but the M3 steering wheel we've seen looks out of place and rubbish. It looks like the sort of thing that ultra low volume British sports cars have. It does not look like it fits well with the design of the M3. My theory is that the wheels we have seen have been prototype ones, and at the reveal, there will be an updated wheel. I am not suggesting the wheel will have a hud etc.

Maybe because the Model S wheel doesn't have a touchpad?

From Trev Page at M3OC: Hmmm... Could this be a touchpad replacing the lack of buttons beside the scroll wheels?

Twitter
Let's say it is a touchpad. How would you use it and for what? Don't you need some visual feedback to inform you what function you are trying to locate and select with the touchpad? Would you have to glance off to the side and look at the display when using the touchpad? If so, wouldn't it be faster and more precise to use the touchscreen display to make those selections, especially in a moving car? Or are you still thinking there will be a HUD and the steering wheel touchpad will be used for it?

Last edited:
There are theories floating on the M3OC forum. The touchpad would replace the buttons beside the knobs on the wheel. The knobs are unlabelled as well most likely programable for your uses. Possibly the touchpad would work to move across icons on the screen and then selecting with one of the buttons.
It certainly seems feasible to me as the material used on the wide pad at the bottom of the wheel is a different material than anywhere on the rest of the wheel. Why not the same dull grey plastic where the wheels are?
No hud.