Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Steering Wheel Functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say it is a touchpad. How would you use it and for what? Don't you need some visual feedback to inform you what function you are trying to locate and select with the touchpad? Would you have to glance off to the side and look at the display when using the touchpad? If so, wouldn't it be faster and more precise to use the touchscreen display to make those selections, especially in a moving car? Or are you still thinking there will be a HUD and the steering wheel touchpad will be used for it?

Maybe the touchpad it isn't there to select Items or move a cursor but just for gestures. Swipe up to reduce TACC distance. Tap with three fingers to mute sound or draw a circle to change HUD brightness. *running for cover*

A touch pad right there would be really hard to use, it would be way too close to your body.

On the street I normally drive 1 hand, left or right, at the bottom right of the wheel. Touchpad would work for me. It could also be limited with the car in motion providing only minimal function much like many incar screens these days.
I agree with the swipe theory.

i hope they devised something different than this. not intuitive especially without markings anywhere. do we even know that the wheels can scroll left or right? not sure if model S/X have something similar.

What I might do:

Left scroll wheel: Audio controls.
Standard Mode:
Press: Off (mute) / On
Roll: Volume control
Press Left: track / station mode
Roll: change track or station
Press: set (i.e. return to standard mode)
Press Right: Source select more
Roll: change source (CD, radio, USB)
Press: set (i.e. return to standard mode)

That would seem to be all the things I want to do while driving, with one wheel, with the only thing needing to be remembered, being left vs right.

I might add:
Long Press: Phone mode...

Thank you kindly.

If you don't regularly drive the car, you won't know which action does what..It isn't a good user experience to have to shift the scroll wheel in a direction and then look to the screen to your right to see what it did -- and if it isn't the action you wanted, try a different direction.

Labels are easy enough. What do you think is unintuitive without a label?

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Big-T
If you don't regularly drive the car, you won't know which action does what..It isn't a good user experience to have to shift the scroll wheel in a direction and then look to the screen to your right to see what it did -- and if it isn't the action you wanted, try a different direction.

Yes, I understand that, which functions do you think need a label?

Thank you kindly.

I think every function on the steering wheel should be labeled.

the most vital being

a) a way to interact via voice
b) volume controls
c) changing station and/or audio source

I don't think it works well the way you mentioned.

It is probably more practical to have one dial change what function you are dealing with, and the other change the option within that function. so moving the left dial changes between volume, station, source. when you are within one of those sections, using the right dial would change the volume up or down, rotate between audio sources, etc.

still not as intuitive as a dedicated button, but it doesn't seem like we'll get better at this point.

Thank you kindly.

Thank you kindly.

Since we don't know what these do by looking at the steering wheel it's impossible to say

Good design is intuitive and the average user should be able to understand it's function with minimal or no instruction. Think of a simple door handle, or if you want to go more high tech the physical design of the iPhone.

Now tell me that most of us can sit down the first time, at this steering wheel and the two roller balls, rockers, switches, whatever they are make sense as is? You can't, that's why everyone's wondering what they are going to do. If you take a look at a model S steering wheel at least there are some buttons with labels that make it obvious.

This wheel has no markings of any kind and therefore is not intuitive. Hopefully it's just a placeholder.

Reactions: lunitiks
Since we don't know what these do by looking at the steering wheel it's impossible to say

If you re-read the thread you will see that I created a hypothetical arrangement of functions. That is what I was asking for feedback about here.

you want to go more high tech the physical design of the iPhone.

The physical design for the iPhone is COMPLETELY unintuitive. No idea what any of the buttons do, even the ones with labels. Go give on to someone who has never has a cell phone and you will see what I mean.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
I think every function on the steering wheel should be labeled.

It is probably more practical to have one dial change what function you are dealing with, and the other change the option within that function. so moving the left dial changes between volume, station, source. when you are within one of those sections, using the right dial would change the volume up or down, rotate between audio sources, etc.

How exactly would you label that?

Thank you kindly.

The physical design for the iPhone is COMPLETELY unintuitive. No idea what any of the buttons do, even the ones with labels. Go give on to someone who has never has a cell phone and you will see what I mean.

Thank you kindly.

I gave my 63 year old mom an iPhone a few years ago, it was her first cell phone. She took to it like a fish to water.

Thank you kindly.

You conveniently forgot to quote this part of my message:
"still not as intuitive as a dedicated button, but it doesn't seem like we'll get better at this point."

Left wheel could be labeled Select, right could be Adjust. Its a moot point -- we've seen the steering wheel, there is no label.

How exactly would you label that?

Thank you kindly.

From the perspective of someone sitting in the car for the first time, especially the 90% who don't visit the forum and follow tesla or the model 3 religiously and have some sort of idea how to interact with the scroll wheels -- yes, it is a help.

I think you mistakenly identify me as someone who is in favor of this route however. Either that or you just like to argue with people.. as i said in previous posts, i think based on what we know about the car, the idea of two scroll wheels over having dedicated buttons is a mistake.

That's a help is it?