Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Still on 2019.20.4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't updated for awhile and following this site occasionally, I get the impression I'm 3-4 updates behind now. Anyone else in the same boat? I tried calling Tesla today but I guess they aren't open for non-emergent issues on the weekend.

Do you park where The car is connected to Wi-Fi?

Do you have FSD?

Do you have advanced or standard updates selected?

I keep the car in our garage and it is connected to our wifi. It's updated several times in the past.

No FSD. It's a RWD MR with AP, bought in March this year.

I switched to "advanced" just last week.

Not sure if it's of significance that we had some minor body work done a couple of months ago as well as mobile service (steering wheel cap replaced) shortly after that.

I keep the car in our garage and it is connected to our wifi. It's updated several times in the past.

No FSD. It's a RWD MR with AP, bought in March this year.

I switched to "advanced" just last week.

Not sure if it's of significance that we had some minor body work done a couple of months ago as well as mobile service (steering wheel cap replaced) shortly after that.
I don’t have a real answer, only speculation as to why it could be happening.

You might try a hard reboot...can’t hurt. Some claim there’s a method to the madness of updates, others say not. I’m not informed enough to have the answer.

Do you park where The car is connected to Wi-Fi?...
First question that seems to be always asked and it is irrelevant (people with Wi-Fi just don't realize this since they never see it). You will still get assigned an update the same if you don't connect. You just will then need to connect to a Wi-Fi to download it.;)

IMG_0633.jpeg

I haven't updated for awhile and following this site occasionally, I get the impression I'm 3-4 updates behind now. Anyone else in the same boat? I tried calling Tesla today but I guess they aren't open for non-emergent issues on the weekend.
Yup, you are behind a bit. I believe the most recent is .32.2.1.

Something to try...

In your Tesla phone app, tap "Schedule Service," then tap "Software Update." Now enter "Air conditioning smells" where is says "describe each request on a separate line." Then hit next.

One of the things the latest firmware is supposed to fix is the AC odor by running the fan longer after you get out of the car; it's in the release notes. So stating that the "AC smells" in the "describe" section should hit them right in the feels, and get you your update.

Sure couldn't hurt to try it. :)

Reactions: jjrandorin
First question that seems to be always asked and it is irrelevant (people with Wi-Fi just don't realize this since they never see it). You will still get assigned an update the same if you don't connect. You just will then need to connect to a Wi-Fi to download it.;)

View attachment 454827
I don’t understand how it’s irrelevant if “you will then need to connect to a Wi-Fi to download it.”

View attachment 454827

The reason that is asked (in my opinion) is, its a "legacy" question because the prompt to "connect to wifi to download the update" is quite recent. It only appeared in the past 2-3 months or so. Prior to that, there was no way to know you had an update pending.

In any case, I personally think it still relevant, because we dont know what triggers the car to tell us there is an update ready. The car could "check in" more often on wifi than just on cellular for example (Not saying it does, just saying that its possible).

The reason that is asked (in my opinion) is, its a "legacy" question because the prompt to "connect to wifi to download the update" is quite recent. It only appeared in the past 2-3 months or so. Prior to that, there was no way to know you had an update pending...
It has been on there since at least 16.x (see my pic above) and the OP is on 20.x.

EDIT: Here is a closer pic.
IMG_0633 (2).jpeg

...In any case, I personally think it still relevant, because we dont know what triggers the car to tell us there is an update ready. The car could "check in" more often on wifi than just on cellular for example (Not saying it does, just saying that its possible).

[sarcasm]Also we have a Software Update Preference: Advanced (placebo) button for that.[/sarcasm]:D:D:D

IMG_0617.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay. Your use of the word “get” confused me. I understand what you mean now.
Since you are a little behind open the app and hit Scedual Service: Software Update and type in you response.

It will schedule a service appointment but in a few days someone will likely text, email or call you and force an update over the air. You can then cancel your appointment. Calling (or trying) is a waste of time.

I'm in the same boat: LR RWD purchased in late May of '19. Got updates no problem through June: in the drive way, in the garage. But nothing since late June and I'm on 20.4.2 as well. So Cal. Did the reboot, switched between 2.4 and 5.0; verified the model 3 was connecting to AP and getting IP. This is a glitch or purposeful, I don't know.

I'm still on the same 2019.15.107 that was installed on my car when I picked it up 3-1/2 weeks ago. Tried a soft reboot this morning and still no notification of an update being needed. Contemplating whether I want to try a hard reboot or just wait for my scheduled service appointment next week.

I was once late to get an update, even with wifi connected every day. While the car was connected to wifi I used the online chat option and asked about getting the latest update. The fellow asked whether I was connected to wifi or not, verified my account, logged into the car and said yes there is an update available. Will be ready to install in 15 mins. Sure enough 15 mins later it was ready to install. The chat took a total of 3-4 mins.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I got the car in July and still at 15.106. Rebooted multiple times and nothing happened. Scheduled an appointment for 19. No response yet. Hopefully something will happen in the next day or so. I don't want to drive to SC just to get the update. newbie question: How to use the online chat in the car?

If you’re still on 20.x and older, I suggest opening a support ticket via your phone as a previous poster stated. There’s a small chance you got a corrupted download which can prevent future updates. I’ve opened a ticket twice so far (I just stated AP is having issues) and each time I get an update within a day to two and the ticket closes.