Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 test-drive: turn-signals and the head-rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
test-drove (and ordered) a 3 yesterday. We recently got an X and I was quite surprised by how differently it drove.

First irritating thing...the turn signal. Why does the stalk not stay put when you use it to signal left or right? I get that the turn-signal continues to be on after just a quick bump, but I miss the tactile feedback to know that it's on/off. More than once I only knew the turn-signal was still on because I could hear it and had to look to tell which way to flick the stalk to turn it off.

Second item - the head-rest is not adjustable. Was ok for me, but DW felt like it was way too far forward. I'm really surprised it's not adjustable. Anyway else feel like it's pushing their head forward?

test-drove (and ordered) a 3 yesterday. We recently got an X and I was quite surprised by how differently it drove.

First irritating thing...the turn signal. Why does the stalk not stay put when you use it to signal left or right? I get that the turn-signal continues to be on after just a quick bump, but I miss the tactile feedback to know that it's on/off. More than once I only knew the turn-signal was still on because I could hear it and had to look to tell which way to flick the stalk to turn it off.

Second item - the head-rest is not adjustable. Was ok for me, but DW felt like it was way too far forward. I'm really surprised it's not adjustable. Anyway else feel like it's pushing their head forward?

The turn signal is kinda funny but whatev(as in it's really not that bad)...they'll tweak it as time goes on. The seats are super adjustable and there is absolutely no reason for you to feel like it's pushing your head. Some of the seat adjustment controls have multiple functions...it sounds like you may have the seat tilted to far forward or something.

The turn signal returns to home position because that reduces complexity and allows auto lane change to turn off the signal. Despite not having ALC, newer BMWs are also like this, I believe.

VW has had this for a while as well. I remember seeing tons of complaints when BMW introduced this functionality for the first time (possibly in the E6x/E9x generation) ... It's quite intuitive once you use a few times. Don't have my Model 3 yet but I'm glad to hear this is the implementation :D

Does the Model 3 have a 2-stage blinker as well, where it flashes the appropriate blinker 3 times if you half-press the stalk?

VW has had this for a while as well. I remember seeing tons of complaints when BMW introduced this functionality for the first time (possibly in the E6x/E9x generation) ... It's quite intuitive once you use a few times. Don't have my Model 3 yet but I'm glad to hear this is the implementation :D

Does the Model 3 have a 2-stage blinker as well, where it flashes the appropriate blinker 3 times if you half-press the stalk?
Yup.

• Informative
Reactions: thewishmaster

The stalk will stay, you’re just not pushing down hard enough/all the way. I don’t like how it doesn’t go back after you complete the turn.