Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 vs My after the price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is actually less hip room on the Y than 3, which matters if you were trying to fit 3 car seats back there.

That is true, although there is much more room from the front seat to back seat which really matters for a lot of car seats.. some don't fit the model 3. Also I love how the MY reclines in the back, giving my daughter who is rear facing much more leg room as she grows since its safer to keep them rear facing longer. All in all the MY is a much better car for little kids in car seats imo. Oh and may the biggest thing at least for me ;) It is soooooo much easier getting them in and out with them being higher up and the doors being taller, this is a huge win in my book!

Looks like the Tesla Model Y is 2.2 inch longer, 2.8 inch wider and 7.2 inch taller as compared to Model 3. you get about 5 inches more second-row legroom in the Y than in the 3.

Visibility is somewhat poor in the Tesla Model 3 because its tallish rear seat blocks your view out back. In the Model Y, it's even worse. The sharp angle of the rear window leaves only a tiny space to see through when you check the rearview mirror. To compensate, you'll likely rely on the car's computer-aided alerts such as the proximity sensors and rear-facing reversing camera.

Cargo space seems to have the biggest difference

Anyone have a pointer to more detailed dimensions between the two?
Tesla_Model_Y_vs_Model_3_Performance.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
Looks like the Tesla Model Y is 2.2 inch longer, 2.8 inch wider and 7.2 inch taller as compared to Model 3. you get about 5 inches more second-row legroom in the Y than in the 3.
Cargo space seems to have the biggest difference

Yes and no. There is more leg room for the rear passengers but there is more leg room in the 3 for front seats.

The cargo room is misleading, the model 3 has 46 cu ft with seats folded. The Y's cargo is measured with seats folded, so thats the only way to do apples to apples. And while 46 is less than 66, most of that number comes from height since there isn't a trunk lid and pass through to deal with. Plus the roofline is taller.

So if you were doing groceries in plastic bags, the cargo area is about the same since things won't stack well. But if you had luggage that you could stack, you could obviously get in more (and maybe block rear view mirror). Y will always be easier to load stuff into the rear of the trunk due to the taller and larger trunk opening. But cargo is NOT 400% larger than the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude
We have had a LR RWD 3 for over 2 years and a P100D X since the summer. Was debating to switch the 3 for a Y sometime in the future since lots of reviews mentioned how big it was and we have a growing family. Took a family members PY for the weekend to test it out and came out underwhelmed.

The Y is quick and handles well for it's size like a Model 3. Still think the 3 is more nimble and more fun compared to the Y probably due to the 3 being lower and smaller but it felt more fun to drive vs a S/X. The Y felt more agile and drives like a car vs a suv which is a huge plus in my book and I'd definitely put it above a Macan S in the fun factor department. Love the interior layout and efficiency and ease of use of the 3 and the Y felt exactly the same. The hatch makes it easier to load things into a trunk vs a 3 but with the back row up it wasnt all that much different in terms of what I can fit. A full size Vista stroller took a significant amount of space in the Y but it was much easier to load.

The Y also had the biggest downsides I experienced in the 3 carry over. The rear passenger space and comfort is not much improved over a 3. We have a rear facing car seat currently and will need another one in a few months. Have a Britax Boulevard, Uppababy Mesa and Diono radian with angle adjuster and it's a challenge getting a baby in all besides the Mesa infant seat. You have to bend down and do some gymnastics to get the baby in and I have felt the door height on the 3 is kind of tight. Sadly, the Y was difficult using a rear facing car seat too. Forward facing car seats shouldn't be an issue in either a 3 or Y but those planning on kids need to remember that most babies stay in rear facing for around 2 years, and multiply that by number of kids you will have. The 6 seater X is on a whole different world in terms of comfort, can't even be compared. The captains chairs are electronic and can move easily to make room for rear passengers. The falcon wing doors are also incredible in the X. You can literally walk into the car and stand and load a baby into a car seat, once you have experienced it, it's hard to ever go back.

Overall the Y is a great package and feels just like the 3 with some added storage and height. Its an excellent CUV and will be ideal for many people who are looking at BMW x3,x2 Mercedes GLC or RAV4 size. I can't recommend it as a full size SUV or minivan replacement or as a true X alternative. It's more similar to the 3 in terms of size vs an X.

There is actually less hip room on the Y than 3, which matters if you were trying to fit 3 car seats back there.
I thought there was more room as well. Someone made a video stating the middle sit was a little bit wider as well. Mind sharing where you got this info? I was planning on selling my 3 for the Y for this reason...thanks

I think the MY is much closer to the 5 seat MX than to the M3 in terms of passenger and cargo space.

If one really wants child seat ease amd space, it's hard to beat the Pacifica hybrid. We have ~75% of the miles electric only. I like the driving experience of the electric drive so much, I ordered a MY for my commuter.

If the Model 3 had a hatch, that would be what I would get. I like the way the 3 looks WAY more than the Y. As it is, I'll be getting a Y next year when my current lease is up. With that price difference though, you can get a M3P for about the same price as the AWD Model Y -- I'd honestly rather have the Model 3 Performance but I don't want to deal with a trunk and a small pass through. Also, part of me doesn't want to be a family with TWO model 3s.

The Model Y seats sit 2 inches taller than a 2013 Subaru Outback. Also, the floor driver and passenger floor is flat on the Model Y. The Model 3 goes lower ~1" where your feet goes. I noticed it when vacuuming. Model Y footwells are easier to vacuum.

Favorite features: standard power liftgate, tow hitch option, and factory tint. (I tend to avoid aftermarket solutions.)

Last edited:
Did you end up getting your Model Y yet? If so, I would like to hear your thoughts about it in comparison to the Grand Cherokee its replacing.
Yep, got the Model Y 2 weeks ago. Took it on a weekend getaway over the 4th. I liked sitting up almost as high as the Jeep for these trips. Since we have a Model 3, the technology is identical and there is no learning curve. I had started to hate driving the Jeep anyway, with all the knobs, etc, not to mention forgetting to turn it off. Including the frunk and below trunk storage, there seems to be almost as much storage space in the Model Y, certainly more than we needed. I also loved the automatic hatch for loading/unloading. We also took the 85 lb lab for his first getaway. He loved riding in the back seat. We packed a large cooler, some groceries, a small suitcase, 3 chairs, etc and did not full up the back at all. Looking out the rear view mirror, there is a better view with the Jeep, but I didn't have the stuff piled up blocking the window anyway. Also, the upcoming software that turns on a side camera when a turn signal is on will help with any visibility issues. The Model Y handles the mountains way better than the Jeep as there is no down shifting, and the regen brakes are wonderful on the descent. Because I drive a Model 3, I'm used to one pedal driving and brakes should last well over 100k miles. I have to say that as much as I liked the Grand Cherokee, I won't miss it much at all driving the Y.

Doesn't the delta between the two shrink if you configure/modify the M3 to be equal to the Y. For Example, the Y comes with 19" wheels/tires so you'd have to add the $1500 wheel option to the 3, I was quoted over $1000 by two local detail shops to blackout a 3 and tint the windows. So now I was up to $2500 in mods for the 3, then there is the power liftgate, not sure how much the aftermarket mod is for the 3 but I'd guess $500 so now I was up to $3K and finally we come to the HEAT PUMP. What's that worth - who knows but I'd rather have it then not. Just saying.....but no matter we wanted/needed a CUV sized vehicle to replace our GMC Acadia. And we already have a small sedan for city use, didn't need another one.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Doesn't the delta between the two shrink if you configure/modify the M3 to be equal to the Y. For Example, the Y comes with 19" wheels/tires so you'd have to add the $1500 wheel option to the 3, I was quoted over $1000 by two local detail shops to blackout a 3 and tint the windows. So now I was up to $2500 in mods for the 3, then there is the power liftgate, not sure how much the aftermarket mod is for the 3 but I'd guess $500 so now I was up to $3K and finally we come to the HEAT PUMP. What's that worth - who knows but I'd rather have it then not. Just saying.....but no matter we wanted/needed a CUV sized vehicle to replace our GMC Acadia. And we already have a small sedan for city use, didn't need another one.
I used the same justification for price delta with the Model 3 trade-in. Power trunk, tint, AWD, and much more cargo space. An aftermarket tow hitch on the Model 3 would have been short lived. I traded-in FSD for the included Autopilot to narrow the gap (acceptable downgrade). No inspection trade-in with bald tires & windshield chip with Tesla helped seal the deal. Upside is that the next car can be a low-cost Nissan Leaf and need not be another CUV.

Yep, got the Model Y 2 weeks ago. Took it on a weekend getaway over the 4th. I liked sitting up almost as high as the Jeep for these trips. Since we have a Model 3, the technology is identical and there is no learning curve. I had started to hate driving the Jeep anyway, with all the knobs, etc, not to mention forgetting to turn it off. Including the frunk and below trunk storage, there seems to be almost as much storage space in the Model Y, certainly more than we needed. I also loved the automatic hatch for loading/unloading. We also took the 85 lb lab for his first getaway. He loved riding in the back seat. We packed a large cooler, some groceries, a small suitcase, 3 chairs, etc and did not full up the back at all. Looking out the rear view mirror, there is a better view with the Jeep, but I didn't have the stuff piled up blocking the window anyway. Also, the upcoming software that turns on a side camera when a turn signal is on will help with any visibility issues. The Model Y handles the mountains way better than the Jeep as there is no down shifting, and the regen brakes are wonderful on the descent. Because I drive a Model 3, I'm used to one pedal driving and brakes should last well over 100k miles. I have to say that as much as I liked the Grand Cherokee, I won't miss it much at all driving the Y.

Did you have the V6 Grand Cherokee or V8? How does the acceleration of the Model Y AWD feel compared to the Jeep GC?

About the brakes... I have 190K miles on my 2014 Black Tesla Model S and I am still on the original brakes. I rarely use them. I would imagine it will be the same or even better with the Model Y with two motors helping you to stop the car instead of just one motor on rear-wheel drive Model S.

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
About the brakes... I have 190K miles on my 2014 Black Tesla Model S and I am still on the original brakes. I rarely use them. I would imagine it will be the same or even better with the Model Y with two motors helping you to stop the car instead of just one motor on rear-wheel drive Model S.

Brent
So anything about those the 6 year old pads that warrants replacement? Do they suffer from any aging affects without significant use?

I was thinking about this the other night, wondering if brake pads still need periodic replacement due to their age, and not their wear. One of the guys said that I should use the brakes with a hard stop once a month, to exercise that system periodically and make sure that all is still in good working order just in case I should ever need them later on. Not a bad idea I guess, just to make sure that they are still there.