Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3OC's In-Depth Look Video (1:10hr long, very thorough)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car is heavily loaded you need to be able to lower the light aim point to keep from blinding other drivers. Some cars auto level.

Not that people care about other drivers being blinded going by the amount of people I see driving with misaimed lights in general, or their (also misaimed) fog lights on in clear weather

I think from what I saw on this video, we're going to have a lot of people flashing their highbeams at us, to turn down our highbeams....except we might have the lowbeams on.

I get that a lot now in my Audi, and I'm more than happy to flick my highbeams on as a return of the gesture.

I'm glad the Model 3 headlights will be bright and white instead of dim and yellow.

my wife's Subaru headlights are atrocious.

Alfa Romeo Giulia ("maybe even Quadrifoglio") by MotorTrend.

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

I noticed the dearth of used Porsche Cayman's / 718's on our Canadian autotrader site and how much resale value they hold/

When I tried to configure and add just a few performance upgrades (PASM, torque vectoring, steering plus and one more thing), the 718's price shot up to $55k USD.

The Macan is cheaper but engine and chassis is based on the A4 but still well regarded but the options on Porsche's get ridiculously expensive since they are ala carte.

Maybe I should stop comparing the Model 3 to our RAV4 Hybrid's cost to maintain and compare it more with entry-level German models. :)

...the rear passengers should have the ability to enable and set the rear seat heating without having to submit a request to the driver or passenger.

Maybe Tesla will let the passenger do it from their smartphones (sarcasm).

I hope I am wrong about this because if true it points to a decision to put cost savings above the need for basic switchgear. Where else has this type of rationalization been made in the Model 3?

SERIOUSLY!!!

If you’ve ever used heated seats before, you know that the power level requires frequent adjustments in order to keep yourself in that Goldilocks not-too-hot/not-too-cold comfort zone. Having to bug someone in the front seat everytime you want it tweaked is just stupid and annoying for both people.

And this design choice is especially confounding given that the PUP already requires a unique rear center console with wiring included for the rear USB ports. Adding a couple switches next to the USB ports would’ve only cost maybe a couple dollars. And as others have already pointed out, the rear console is not exactly a work of art, and it already has USB ports in it anyway, so it’s not like adding 2 switches could be considered an eyesore or ruin some minimalist aesthetic. So I can’t think of any defensible rationale for this.

There are plenty of things to quibble about in regards to the touchscreen-centric controls strategy, but this one is in another league IMO.

So so stupid. :mad: :(

SERIOUSLY!!!

If you’ve ever used heated seats before, you know that the power level requires frequent adjustments in order to keep yourself in that Goldilocks not-too-hot/not-too-cold comfort zone.

I use heated seats a lot and do not have this problem. Not saying others don't, but your assumption it applies to everyone is wrong

Having to bug someone in the front seat everytime you want it tweaked is just stupid and annoying for both people.

My plan for this is just not to tell passengers about the heated rear seats on the few occasions where I'm carrying enough people so that some are in the back.

Reactions: melindav
'e class territory' means absolutely nothing unless the buyer is trying to decide between a Model 3 and a similar spec ICE. I can guarantee for a majority of those of us here, ICE is not an option. To me, M3, A4, and e-class represents a bygone era technology and design-wise which is no longer appealing.

Minority checking in. The Model 3 is why I'm not buying an Audi A4, and if for some reason I was sure I wouldn't get my Model 3 for another year or more I'd be buying an A4 next week.

Adding a couple switches next to the USB ports would’ve only cost maybe a couple dollars.

It's not that simple. There are three zones, so three switches, plus indicators (are they high/low?) So 6 indicator lights. You don't want the seats to default to their last state (staying on), and to be able to control from the front screen. So it's momentary switches to cycle. Now you need to add a microcontroller to control operating state. Either there is an I/O multiplexer and the main MCU handles control, or a local micro and a network connection to the MCU. Either way you have to add more connections to the wire harness. And another assembly operation.

Now you have a smart module which requires software along with the switches and PCB. Is that insourced our outsourced? Need profit and warranty margin on it (design cost is low at 3's volumes).

How robust are the switches? Spill proof, cleaner proof, cycle life, little be an kick proof (current issue with cup holders)? The 3 is designed with absolute minimum of extra modules/ switches.

I'm assuming USB is back there for charging and music selection for future Tesla Network. TN will have music and climate controls and such through the app. Otherwise, riding in the rear would require an entire duplicate HVAC control system. With a Bluetooth control app, all controls are redundant.

Minority checking in. The Model 3 is why I'm not buying an Audi A4, and if for some reason I was sure I wouldn't get my Model 3 for another year or more I'd be buying an A4 next week.

I was in this same frame of mind back on 3/31/16 when I put down the deposit. We want a second car. I was considering ice sport coupes as we have a Ford Escape AWD. Fast forward to now. I have changed. I will wait for the Model 3. If for some catastrophic reason I can’t get one eventually my next vehicle will be a BEV. I’m a lifelong gear head and don’t see another ice in my future.

GVz06tl.jpg

Did they miss a 12v outlet, or is this a hook, or … well, what is it?

I was in this same frame of mind back on 3/31/16 when I put down the deposit. We want a second car. I was considering ice sport coupes as we have a Ford Escape AWD. Fast forward to now. I have changed. I will wait for the Model 3. If for some catastrophic reason I can’t get one eventually my next vehicle will be a BEV. I’m a lifelong gear head and don’t see another ice in my future.

There's admittedly a small chance I'd just say "fine, screw it" and buy a Model S but having used one for a few days I wouldn't be thrilled with the range of a 75D and I'd constantly whine about the size of it. ;) I'd never realistically buy a Bolt or Leaf or any of the other weirdo derp pods.

There's admittedly a small chance I'd just say "fine, screw it" and buy a Model S but having used one for a few days I wouldn't be thrilled with the range of a 75D and I'd constantly whine about the size of it. ;) I'd never realistically buy a Bolt or Leaf or any of the other weirdo derp pods.

Completely agree. Don’t want an S for its size or as a second car. I want the 3 for sure but really looking forward to the BEV’s coming out down the road. Would never consider a PHEV, Bolt, Ioniq, i3 or Leaf. Nothing wrong with them. They just don’t crank me.

Completely agree. Don’t want an S for its size or as a second car. I want the 3 for sure but really looking forward to the BEV’s coming out down the road. Would never consider a PHEV, Bolt, Ioniq, i3 or Leaf. Nothing wrong with them. They just don’t crank me.

Yeah hybrids are absolutely out of the question for me except for the supercar-class hybrids like the 918 or McLaren P1 and I'm not playing in that league so it's moot. Anything with front wheel drive is immediately ignored as well.

I'm very much looking forward to Audi and BMW and other brands bringing out models to actually compete with Tesla for my money in the BEV market, but sadly it sounds like everyone's going to start with crossovers and SUVs, which I won't buy. Hopefully 3-4 years after I get my Model 3, which is probably when I'll be ready for something new, there'll be some interesting things on the horizon in the rear wheel drive or all wheel drive sedan-without-a-stupid-looking-design market segment.

Lot's of responses so far and my thoughts may have already been addressed in part or in whole.

Enjoyed the video. What I noticed was:

No details on tires or wheels other than the lug measuring.
No 12v outlet in the trunk - filled a lot of soccer balls from back there!!
The drive sequence was magnificently quiet!!!!!
Agree with other comments that though interior is great, little things have been omitted. Things that much cheaper cars already have.
First production owners are going to have to do without all the stuff that has been forgotten or left off because of rush job production.

Trying to keep the price of the car at the promised $35,000 may be the underlying reasons for a lot of the pretty basic extras from being omitted.

I'm pretty happy with what Tesla has been able to accomplish. For an INFANT automaker to come this far so soon is nothing short of amazing. Imagine what they will accomplish with the years under their belt that Ford and other companies have.

Lot's of responses so far and my thoughts may have already been addressed in part or in whole.

Enjoyed the video. What I noticed was:

No details on tires or wheels other than the lug measuring.
No 12v outlet in the trunk - filled a lot of soccer balls from back there!!
The drive sequence was magnificently quiet!!!!!
Agree with other comments that though interior is great, little things have been omitted. Things that much cheaper cars already have.
First production owners are going to have to do without all the stuff that has been forgotten or left off because of rush job production.

Trying to keep the price of the car at the promised $35,000 may be the underlying reasons for a lot of the pretty basic extras from being omitted.

I'm pretty happy with what Tesla has been able to accomplish. For an INFANT automaker to come this far so soon is nothing short of amazing. Imagine what they will accomplish with the years under their belt that Ford and other companies have.

Tesla was founded July 1,2003 14 years ago. I wouldn’t call them an INFANT automaker. Perhaps till recently a niche automaker. Model 3 is in early first production. Compare an original rwd, what’s autopilot? P? L? with what the S is today. Expect the same with the 3. The great thing about Tesla is the ongoing OTA product improvement even on 5 year old cars. I’m expecting some significant differences when I trade my ‘18 or ‘19 Model 3 for a ‘23 or ‘24 Model unknown!

little things have been omitted.

Such as? (Other than your mentioned 12V outlet in the trunk).

Such as? I didn't see anything forgotten or left off (i.e. planned, but not completed). There was some missing functionality, but it was all software, which can and will be updated over the air.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Anyone know why or have thoughts as to why Tesla would make the UMC for the 3 only capable of 32 amps if the LR battery option comes with a 48 amp onboard charger? Makes no sense to make all cars charge slower unless they are at a SC.
The prevailing thought (from what I’ve seen) is that Tesla limited it for safety. 32 amps is the max for a 40 amp circuit and many 14-50 plugs are only on 40 amp circuits (and I believe that is code is Canada). If the UMC could go up to 40 amps then the user would have to know to limit charging manually based on the circuit rating (instead of limiting it automatically based on the type of plug).

You’ll probably also have people say that Tesla is cheaping out but then they say that about everything they don’t like about the car.

The prevailing thought (from what I’ve seen) is that Tesla limited it for safety. 32 amps is the max for a 40 amp circuit and many 14-50 plugs are only on 40 amp circuits (and I believe that is code is Canada). If the UMC could go up to 40 amps then the user would have to know to limit charging manually based on the circuit rating (instead of limiting it automatically based on the type of plug).

You’ll probably also have people say that Tesla is cheaping out but then they say that about everything they don’t like about the car.
I ask because I am putting in a NEMA 14-50. You say it is for safety reasons, so are they limiting all future S/X UMC's to the same 32 amp? If not, I do not see why they have done it to the 3's UMC.