Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3OC's In-Depth Look Video (1:10hr long, very thorough)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ask because I am putting in a NEMA 14-50. You say it is for safety reasons, so are they limiting all future S/X UMC's to the same 32 amp? If not, I do not see why they have done it to the 3's UMC.
I don’t know the answers to those questions. Maybe with the lower price point they expect the 3 to be purchased by more people who are not familiar with amperage of the circuit they are using (renters, non-ev enthusiasts, etc). Just a guess...

Anyone know why or have thoughts as to why Tesla would make the UMC for the 3 only capable of 32 amps if the LR battery option comes with a 48 amp onboard charger? Makes no sense to make all cars charge slower unless they are at a SC.

Here's my theory: a 32 amp connection is enough to charge the entire battery of a Standard Range Model 3, at least on paper, within 8 hours. The overwhelming majority of users are not going to need anywhere near that level of charge speed, and only building the UMC to that spec probably lowers the cost of the UMC non-trivially. When you consider how many of these things they will (hopefully) eventually be selling, that's going to add up to big savings. For the folks where this is truly not enough charging speed, they can buy an S/X UMC, or better yet just install a Wall Connector.

Reactions: Acps110 and MP3Mike
Anyone know why or have thoughts as to why Tesla would make the UMC for the 3 only capable of 32 amps if the LR battery option comes with a 48 amp onboard charger? Makes no sense to make all cars charge slower unless they are at a SC.

When at a SC, the car isn’t even using the onboard charger. Seems that the 48 amp is a selling point for the Wall Charger.

Loved the video. Loved what I saw. If anything my anticipation is now heightened, and who'd have thought that possible?!

It is a shame there's no 12V outlet in the boot, and I'm no fan of piano black on the console nor that faux timber as a dash finish, but a lot can/will change between now and when RHD starts shipping so we'll wait and see.

Add to that, it's not even showing 115!

View attachment 256680
It's Frunk 'N Trunk, their video is not perfect, but they can sell you a great T-Shirt! But i will repeat that it is the best video review so far, in my opinion, despite all the obvious errors - ("press the button on the lower left Frunk for a clearer picture so we can show the world how I am doing it wrong.").

• Disagree
Reactions: frozenpenguin
It's Frunk 'N Trunk, their video is not perfect, but they can sell you a great T-Shirt! But i will repeat that it is the best video review so far, in my opinion, despite all the obvious errors - ("press the button on the lower left Frunk for a clearer picture so we can show the world how I am doing it wrong.").

TSportline has removed the (Speculated) from the PCD: 5x114.3 on their Model 3 wheel and tire guide. I believe it’s safe to say this is the PCD of the Model 3 wheel studs.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Has anybody test driven both the LR M3 and say the RWD Model S 75 (or greater) in terms of handling/nimbleness?

I read that weight, wheelbase, suspension set ups (among others) play important roles. The M3 is lighter, has a shorter wheelbase, suspension setup is likely similar but the drive train motor is now using permanent magnets instead of induction.

Well back to the original point, Frunk 'N Trunk measured the PCD at around 115. That means their measurement is off from 114.3 by around 5/16" That is significant operator error. What else did they get wrong? Frunk 'N Trunk said the car had a tight turning circle while OCD Joe said it had a wide turning circle. Joe has driven more Teslas than Frunk 'N Trunk, so who has more credibility? It sure would be nice if someone actually measured the turning circle, with something other than Frunk 'N Trunk's 5 foot sewing kit tape.

Well back to the original point, Frunk 'N Trunk measured the PCD at around 115. That means their measurement is off from 114.3 by around 5/16" That is significant operator error. What else did they get wrong? Frunk 'N Trunk said the car had a tight turning circle while OCD Joe said it had a wide turning circle. Joe has driven more Teslas than Frunk 'N Trunk, so who has more credibility? It sure would be nice if someone actually measured the turning circle, with something other than Frunk 'N Trunk's 5 foot sewing kit tape.
Tight/wide are descriptions that only make sense relative to something else - in this case the vehicles they are used to driving. Hopefully one of the current owners will come through with an actual measurement. It’s been requested on the other forum.

I must have missed where “Frunk ‘N Truck” came from - is that a derogatory term?

Heard them talking about saving "driver profile". I'm guessing these are driver settings like seat position, steering wheel position, mirror adjustments, etc. Anyone know how many profiles can be saved?

Going by Tesla Network/ phone app as key, I'd say it's unlimited with network connectivity. Without internet, may be able to pull from phone. And some number (probably your original question) cached on the vehicle.

Has anybody test driven both the LR M3 and say the RWD Model S 75 (or greater) in terms of handling/nimbleness?

I read that weight, wheelbase, suspension set ups (among others) play important roles. The M3 is lighter, has a shorter wheelbase, suspension setup is likely similar but the drive train motor is now using permanent magnets instead of induction.
Yes, Frunk 'N Trunk have driven both. They gave the model 3 two thumbs up. You can buy a T-shirt with Two Thumbs Up.
Untitled.jpg

They are off by .7mm, not 7mm, so about 1/32".

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Runt8
Not really. But I partially agree: you can't gripe about a car by comparing it to one that doesn't exist.
Something usually beats nothing, even if that something doesn't check off all the boxes.
Robin
Yes I get it. There is simply no other car in existence which could be compared to TM3. Therefore we must imagine a better car with 35k$ price tag and same specs as TM3 but with german quality interior and fit and finish. My point is that it is not possible for this car to exists today. Even if Musk put more importance into interior quality for TM3 and give people all this stuff the price tag could not stay in range of 35k$. Pople must realise that they are getting the best car in the world that could be build for 35k$. Yes they could wish for more but they are then disilusionsl in thinking that it could become a reality. Not in 2017.