Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - performance drop-off issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just curious how the performance drop-off is progressing in the community?

Did Tesla release an OTA fix, or is it still an issue where the horsepower drops as it gets a little cooler, or the battery % diminishes?

still in two-minds whether to go M3P or M3LR (heart vs head!).

The issue was linked to cold weather and low charge if I remember so we're unlilkely to have many issues at the moment.

Maybe its better to use the old thread than start a new one so the history is there.

Reactions: init6 and btc1k
I can totally back that up - not noticed a performance drop, and everytime I press the 'go' pedal I laugh my socks off - it is *so* quick...

And although the wheels carry the 'curb scare' - they just look great...

:p
I don't think the M3P wheels are as much of a "curb scare" as we think. I have clipped curbs and pot holes a couple of times but when I got out no damage. It might be because they are quite thin edges. It is the flat diamond cut alloys which get trashed if you get near a curb.

Reactions: spooksman
Not noticed any performance drop off here.

Have to say though, were I to buy another Model 3 it wouldn't be the Performance next time. I find I spend 99% of the time in Chill mode as it is just far nicer to drive in day to day driving than Sport mode. Yes it's fun to plant foot occasionally, but the rest of the time the performance is ultimately pointless.

So, if there's a next time, it'll almost certainly be Long Range Model 3 for me. I'll save myself circa £11.5k and just suffer the ignominy of 0-60mph in around 4.2 secs as opposed to 3.1 secs...

Had my M3P over a year now (15k miles) and noticed no drop off in any performance metric other than the normal drop off in acceleration as battery % goes down.

Sadly, one thing I would do is buy the LR with performance boost next time.

I had 3 punctures last year, all through hitting potholes. The last time I was left after midnight with a cracked wheel. It needed to be welded.
I bought some great looking 18 inch wheels from the US, put some Michelin Crossclimates on and am very happy with that solution.

Not noticed any degradation on accesseration or range with that combo.

Still really love the car but an expensive mistake not getting the LR.

Reactions: Timberman
The last few comments are why the previous thread is important - from recollection its about the 2021 model year cars delivered in Dec using the new battery, it doesn't apply to people with other performance models. As mentioned above its also about cold weather performance which doesn't apply to this time of year.
it's exactly the same in that thread as well. A specific issue to a specific model and most of the replies are along the lines of "my P from 2019 in hot weather at 90% charge is fine" 🤣

Ran my 2021 M3P battery all the way down last weekend, no noticeable change in performance at all until 18% SoC where it does drop off a cliff but that was obviously software limited as it just flicked like a switch.

Its obviously fair weather just now so not the time where we expect problems but those tests were actually in 13 Degrees in the evening so previous tests were showing issues even at that temperature.

All told I’m having no problems at all with the P, really enjoying it.

Ran my 2021 M3P battery all the way down last weekend, no noticeable change in performance at all until 18% SoC where it does drop off a cliff but that was obviously software limited as it just flicked like a switch.

Its obviously fair weather just now so not the time where we expect problems but those tests were actually in 13 Degrees in the evening so previous tests were showing issues even at that temperature.

Some people will have bought one to enjoy the occasional track day so I think they would still like their performance to continue all the way down. Laps are limited on an EV anyway and this would make it worse.

Maybe you could check back in in December. Oh hang on you are in Scotland. Make that October.

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k and Durzel
Some people will have bought one to enjoy the occasional track day so I think they would still like their performance to continue all the way down. Laps are limited on an EV anyway and this would make it worse.
Teslas and probably all EV's performance have always dropped off at a low state of charge. Anyone who bought one not knowing this did not do their homework. It is what it is and that part of the performance is not likely to change. Battery probably cannot supply the necessary current at that low state of charge

Battery temperature or ambient?

I've noticed a difference a few times now. I noticed it happened a few times at approx 60% charge, but i'm not 100% sure if it's related to state of charge or battery temperature (i don't have teslamate etc and didn't make a note of how long i'd been driving at the time), or both.
Essentially, it's still blisteringly quick, but doesn't have that same punch/kick when initially planting the accelerator. It's quite a subtle difference, but there's definitely a difference.
I hope to try pinpoint why it happens over the coming weeks to see if it's simply the state of charge or something else.

Edit: whilst it's noticeable to me, it's very subtle so it's not something i'm losing any sleep over or plan to do anything about. I wouldn't hesitate to get a P again.

Teslas and probably all EV's performance have always dropped off at a low state of charge. Anyone who bought one not knowing this did not do their homework. It is what it is and that part of the performance is not likely to change. Battery probably cannot supply the necessary current at that low state of charge

Absolutely but not at the level previously highlighted by Bjorn Nyland... if the Performance ends up slower than a LR or SR+ in some circumstances then it's an issue that went far beyond the natural characteristics of "all EVs". Only M3 Performance owners can say whether this has already been resolved in software ... and I'm not one of them!