Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you mis-read me or not, but I think we are in agreeance. I was just saying they are different appeals depending on what care about most. I know the M3P quite well as mine is one, and I have taken it well past those numbers before. In 3+ years of ownership, I've yet to be overtaken by any car other than some heavily modified ones and those were only when starting at 60. The M50 is a great effort by BMW, but the cost is not competitive enough much less the performance to be a daily driver on the same level. The interior is subjective but I think most people who get into a Tesla don't yearn so much for the exuberance of a BMW or the like and tend to be accustomed to the minimalism. The 3 is still the king of value, but I'm open - or actually encouraged to see other manufacturers attempt to match or surpass Tesla.

I'm agreeing with you...was just expanding on it with my thoughts. I've only ever got overtaken a couple times and those were by a 911 and something else that was pretty exotic. I never mind...just means people are enjoying their rides. Most of the time, I don't every do highway pulls as traffic is too heavy these days. A good stoplight romp never hurt anyone...i typically only get it to 5-10mph over the limit anyway but man...the car pulls so nicely until then and i'd rather have really good speed between 0-80mph than 60-130mph.

The M50 is for people that don't like Tesla which is fine...lots of people hate the brand so its a good alternative. I'm happy to see great alternatives pop up now to put the smackdown on the ICEs :D

Embarrassingly slow? It seems like they are fairly even in a straight line until higher speeds where the M50 pulls away.

This youtube is BS and all Tesla owner's know it. A M3P doing a 12 second 1/4 mile? What did they run it with, 20% charge? This video show's the BMW's screen a few times, but never the M3P screen. Wonder why!
My 18 M3P has run 11.4-11.5 every time I ran the 1/4 mile, even with 85% charge.
And the M3P's don't just do well in the 1/4 miles, at the 2019 SCCA Nat'l Champ race in Lincoln, Nebraska, A M3P won BS beating a Shelby Mustang, Lotus, and yes a BMW M2 and M1. The Tesla was too fast for the class, so it was moved to a different class, so the Bimmers could have a chance.
Not Fanboy crap, just facts.

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the forum as I'm hoping to get some help from some current tesla owners (particularly those with the performance version)

I am going to be making the swap to an electric vehicle early next year and I'm looking to place an order soon as the build times should take me nicely up to the end of my current lease.

I am constantly fighting with myself over choosing the model 3 performance or the upcoming Bmw i4 m50. Both cars look really nice to me and performance wise they don't seem to dissimilar.

My concern with the bmw is that I'm going to get ripped off with the maintenance costs as I have had numerous bmw's in the past and this always seems to be the case. I've been advised this particular bmw will only require a minor service every 2 years. Tyres will potentially need changed yearly or maybe every 2 years if I'm lucky.

Anyone who owns a model 3 performance and has had use of it for some time has had to take it to a garage for any servicing and is this expensive? Do the tyres last a reasonable amount of time? Are there any other costs involved u should be aware of?

Tesla themselves told me that the model 3 requires no servicing at all but can get a summer health check if people wanted at a cost of around £60. Tyres last roughly 15k to 20k depending on driving style. Is anyone able to confirm whether this is true for the tesla?

Since I'm so undecided on which car to go for, im just going to go with the one that seems as though it will save me a bit more money after it's been bought and will be better in the long term.

Apologies for the long post and thanks to everyone who reads it.
People may not believe me but the BMW i3s is perhaps the best car BMW ever made on many levels. I'm not talking performance. Just sheer driving enjoyment, the tech, the interior design, the concept. I'd had 4 of them and hands down it's the best car I've ever owned. We also now have M3 and it's a tank compared to this thing. There is no other EV out there that feels and drives like a hot-hatch.

I personally would never buy a ICE-based EV. Too much compromise. BMW made a terrible mistake discontinuing the i3. They could have had a true winner on their hands had they marketed it correctly, upgraded it better, and modernized it by now. Even so, you sit in the thing and can't believe it's almost a decade old design.

When any production BEV under $100k can lap my local track faster than my M3P I might take a look at it.
The i4 M50 is certainly not going to pose a threat.
Why is everything a "threat" to Tesla fanboys? Lol...are they on constant high alert or what? I don't get it. In daily life and driving, the two cars are practically the same in metrics and few will care to even notice the difference. What will stand out between the two are how they feel, how they drive, how they look, and what sort of customer service they will receive when things go wrong. Those are what people experience on a daily basis...not threats.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
BMW is not playing catch up. I drove an i3 for several years as a "transitional" vehicle for several years with zero issues. I would have bought the i4M if they had done a better job with range. If anything, I think BMW has misread the market for electric vehicles in spite of having years of experience with electric drivetrains. The i3 was a great car and was everything I needed it to be - except visually appealing as a car.
BMW didn't misread the market. They changed course and decided not to dedicate themselves further in their i-line. Poor upper management decision making based on short bean counting. Which is unfortunate because had they, they'd be leading the way right now.

I assume you haven’t gotten it yet..

What made you pick the M3LR?

I have a 2020 BMW M340i and lease is up in July, trying to figure out which way to go.

Mainly the reviews on how the I4 is built on the existing ICE design and Tesla Super Chargers...This video covers a lot of the pros and cons but the CONS of the BMW (and I am a BMW guy for 10 years) out weighted the pros.

Why is everything a "threat" to Tesla fanboys? Lol...are they on constant high alert or what? I don't get it. In daily life and driving, the two cars are practically the same in metrics and few will care to even notice the difference. What will stand out between the two are how they feel, how they drive, how they look, and what sort of customer service they will receive when things go wrong. Those are what people experience on a daily basis...not threats.
I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. I'm not threatened at all, I'm saying that if and when an EV with similar price and better performance is available I'd consider it, but there isn't anything there yet, BMW or otherwise.

BMW made a terrible mistake discontinuing the i3.

The best part about the BMW i3 is getting to your destination and realizing you don't need to drive it anymore. It's my least favorite EV and I'm glad they discontinued it. BMW would have sold even less i3 if they didn't have huge lease rebates. I give BMW props for that, my coworker's i3 lease was under $200 / month for a brand new vehicle. They hated the car though.

The best part about the BMW i3 is getting to your destination and realizing you don't need to drive it anymore. It's my least favorite EV and I'm glad they discontinued it. BMW would have sold even less i3 if they didn't have huge lease rebates. I give BMW props for that, my coworker's i3 lease was under $200 / month for a brand new vehicle. They hated the car though.
I know two people that had i3s…and the best way I can explain what they said was “meh”.

I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. I'm not threatened at all, I'm saying that if and when an EV with similar price and better performance is available I'd consider it, but there isn't anything there yet, BMW or otherwise.
Your metric of performance may be very different than what others think. Straight line performance isn't the end all be all of driving experience. So your comment is moot as far as what you'd consider verses what someone else may consider.