Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so if i'm used to my hellcat, corvette and 340i and i drive wide open and on the anchors constantly... will the M3P- brakes and equipment suffice?

No. Even the larger P+ Brakes are weak compared to my C7 Grand Sport 6 piston Brembos. If you are just driving around town then it doesn't really matter much because when you combine regen braking with the standard brakes you are fine. But if you actually drive in a spirited fashion and use the brakes then you will want more stopping power for this 4100lb car.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Big Earl
Just got off Tesla chat - sounds like they are inventory and he told me it's not just a software unlock. Who the heck knows.

I'm sure "unicorn" is the party line but I certainly don't believe it's true either. However with them still refusing to admit the obvious [AWD to P3- is just software] I'm a little less hopeful for the prospect of an after purchase upgrade for us AWD folk. :/

so if i'm used to my hellcat, corvette and 340i and i drive wide open and on the anchors constantly... will the M3P- brakes and equipment suffice?

My previous car was a C7 Z06 with Z07 gigantic ceramic brakes. My AWD has tiny baby brakes. I drive hard. I'm not missing my old brakes and wouldn't be unless I was on a track.

Enjoy!

My previous car was a C7 Z06 with Z07 gigantic ceramic brakes. My AWD has tiny baby brakes. I drive hard. I'm not missing my old brakes and wouldn't be unless I was on a track.

Enjoy!

Yeah but those carbon ceramic brakes are awesome though. Stop on a dime. The g forces felt when braking are incredible. No doubt overkill for the street as you can’t really even heat them up but on track they are awesome.

Hey everyone, first post. Just wanted to confirm what everyone else is saying . I placed an order for a LR AWD aero wheels last Thursday and the store called me today letting me know they had a P3- at the service center in the same color combo I ordered Blue/White. Had me submit a new order, then matched me to the car and canceled my original order. I did have to submit another lease application, so I hope nothing gets hung up there since I lost my original order, but I can't imagine it would. Excited for the extra power!

Since the 2018 M3P- eventually got track mode why wouldn't these new ones? I'm only interested if these new M3P- have track mode since I would be upgrading the brakes, changing to wider wheels/tires, and adding coilovers to a car I tracked anyway.

You would assume but assuming is not a good thing to do with Tesla since they seem to change things weekly. Going aftermarket for the brakes, wheels and suspension is better anyway.

Order placed on a M3P-. My OA says these are still unicorn cars and one cannot order to build but handful of these were made accidentally at the end of last quarter and Tesla is only selling those inventory cars. So the swap the 18 inch wheel option for Performance will probably disappear after the stock M3P- cars are sold out
They are not unicorns, anyone can order one. Just needs to be done over the phone or at the store.
It essentially is a $5000 discount over the std performance model confirmed by my sales advisor.
You subtract 20 in wheels/alum pedals/carbon spoiler/performance brake package/lowered susp and save 5 grand.
This is a true bargain which basically confirms what everyone is thinking. This is simply a unlocked LR AWD for another 2 grand.
Even on the parts list between the awd and performance they use the exact same motors so there is no difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and 3Sweet
I asked my SA to let me know if a P3D- matching my LR AWD order shows up in inventory. For me this is a "wouldn't mind having it" but I would pay the $2k extra to get the car sooner.

However I'm torn because I wouldn't modify my order and lose my place in line just to get it, the LR AWD is more than fast enough for me, and I can spend that $2k elsewhere like another Tesla in the fleet in a couple years or a new bicycle.

Am I the unpopular opinion in this thread? I like to think I'm being logical.

I am in the same boat they actually have two performance version in Atlanta right now. It was either 1,00 extra for performance and lose the white seats I want.
I'm thinking the car is already very fast is 1,000 extra worth the excitement of the extra speed?
Probably but again, 1,000 extra is still nice pocket money.

I am in the same boat they actually have two performance version in Atlanta right now. It was either 1,00 extra for performance and lose the white seats I want.
I'm thinking the car is already very fast is 1,000 extra worth the excitement of the extra speed?
Resale value/resale value/resale value.
Get them both. It will pay off in the long run and you will be happy you made that choice.

Reactions: phantasms
Just got off the phone with them and they are saying they got an email saying the 18" wheels price the same as the 20"s and the only difference is they don't include the performance brakes. She was confident there was no such beast as what's being reported here. Anyone have any tips for how to refer to this to be able to switch my current LR AWD configuration? Would be awesome if anybody has a VIN of one of these I could use to jump start the conversation.

No. Even the larger P+ Brakes are weak compared to my C7 Grand Sport 6 piston Brembos. If you are just driving around town then it doesn't really matter much because when you combine regen braking with the standard brakes you are fine. But if you actually drive in a spirited fashion and use the brakes then you will want more stopping power for this 4100lb car.

Yeah but those carbon ceramic brakes are awesome though. Stop on a dime. The g forces felt when braking are incredible. No doubt overkill for the street as you can’t really even heat them up but on track they are awesome.

Your stopping power, 100% of the time, is limited by your tires, not your brakes.

Take a Model 3 with the basic stock brakes. Test your stopping distance.

Now swap on the biggest, baddest, most expensive, brake upgrade kit they make. Test your stopping distance.

They'll be exactly the same.

On the other hand, test that SUPER BRAKE UPGRADE car on the stock all-season 18s.

Now test a bone stock little-brake model 3, but swap PS4s tires on it.

The bone stock brakes will stop the car much shorter than the BIG BRAKE KIT car on the less sticky tires.

Brake upgrades can do many things- and there's indeed reasons to upgrade them if you're planning to drive on a (non-drag) race track... but stop you shorter than the stock brakes did the first time is not one of them.

I highly suggest this article for anyone wanting details on what each part of the system does, and doesn't do, and what actually stops the car-

GRM Pulp Friction

The author teaches SAE master classes on brake system design as well as doing said design for folks like Stoptech, Ford, and others.

Your stopping power, 100% of the time, is limited by your tires, not your brakes.

Take a Model 3 with the basic stock brakes. Test your stopping distance.

Now swap on the biggest, baddest, most expensive, brake upgrade kit they make. Test your stopping distance.

They'll be exactly the same.

On the other hand, test that SUPER BRAKE UPGRADE car on the stock all-season 18s.

Now test a bone stock little-brake model 3, but swap PS4s tires on it.

The bone stock brakes will stop the car much shorter than the BIG BRAKE KIT car on the less sticky tires.

Brake upgrades can do many things- and there's indeed reasons to upgrade them if you're planning to drive on a (non-drag) race track... but stop you shorter than the stock brakes did the first time is not one of them.

I highly suggest this article for anyone wanting details on what each part of the system does, and doesn't do, and what actually stops the car-

GRM Pulp Friction

The author teaches SAE master classes on brake system design as well as doing said design for folks like Stoptech, Ford, and others.

Agreed on braking distance limited by tires but you also get better braking feel from the big brake kits and more aggressive pads even when you are not standing on the brakes. The pedal feels firmer and the initial bite is confidence inspiring so you can brake much later if desired. Then there is also the fade resistance benefit for extended use. So, there are some additional benefits to the upgraded brake packages beyond stopping distance if you appreciate those aspects. For daily driver, waste of money for the most part.

Reactions: Knightshade

I live at Georgia, waiting on my order LR AWD + FSD Black on White.
I checked inventory, I see only one M3 SR.
Where I can find the car? I want one instead of waiting mine.

Just got off the phone with them and they are saying they got an email saying the 18" wheels price the same as the 20"s and the only difference is they don't include the performance brakes. She was confident there was no such beast as what's being reported here. Anyone have any tips for how to refer to this to be able to switch my current LR AWD configuration? Would be awesome if anybody has a VIN of one of these I could use to jump start the conversation.

So far all the reports I've seen (including the one I ordered) have been "In stock" and not ordered / orderable. I am not ver eager to share my vin on the net (it displayed on the in-stock listing for the car I ordered, but it doesn't show up when I go to manage my order. being my first Tesla I don't know what that indicates,) I'm confident today was the first day they showed up, and once they start getting delivered i am sure we'll get more information about them).

So far all the reports I've seen (including the one I ordered) have been "In stock" and not ordered / orderable. I am not ver eager to share my vin on the net (it displayed on the in-stock listing for the car I ordered, but it doesn't show up when I go to manage my order. being my first Tesla I don't know what that indicates,) I'm confident today was the first day they showed up, and once they start getting delivered i am sure we'll get more information about them).

Makes sense... is there anything that you could post in a screenshot that would have the individually identifiable information in it cropped or blacked out I could forward to my advisor? I talked to a couple folks now who all think I'm crazy. Understand the sensitivity on this stuff so only if you're comfortable.

here is a screenshot of one i saw earlier..
EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread