Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a disturbing phone call from my sales agent about my P3D- order.

He called to tell me that his manager will send me a formal notice that “Track Mode” is NOT part of the P3D- package!
(I had requested that it be installed at time of delivery.) The service center it will not install.

I told him that was not the case but he said “multiple Tesla people above me” stated that if someone did get Track mode it would be removed shortly via an over the air update.

I’m not sure I will accept the car on Weds if it isn’t there. If it is I don’t believe Tesla would remove it in the future.

So - does anyone with a P3D- not have track mode?

Hopefully this is just a case of the dealer & service center not knowing the latest changes.

I have asked for a pic of the rear engine decal to confirm that is correct.

He called to tell me that his manager will send me a formal notice that “Track Mode” is NOT part of the P3D- package!
(I had requested that it be installed at time of delivery.) The service center it will not install.

I told him that was not the case but he said “multiple Tesla people above me” stated that if someone did get Track mode it would be removed shortly via an over the air update.

I’m not sure I will accept the car on Weds if it isn’t there. If it is I don’t believe Tesla would remove it in the future.

So - does anyone with a P3D- not have track mode?

Hopefully this is just a case of the dealer & service center not knowing the latest changes.

I have asked for a pic of the rear engine decal to confirm that is correct.

Not here, mine has track mode.

FWIW When I was trying to find if any of these cars were around my area, I started a chat on tesla.com and the person did indicate track mode wasn’t going to be there. I didn’t believe the person plus it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker for me anyway so I let it go.

Based on available evidence to date, I would say your sales agent does not know what he is talking about. This is not uncommon.

It's best to not request things like installing Track Mode, to be honest (since this is something they have no control over - and in fact is not a discrete thing that can be done - all they can do is request that Performance software be pushed, as far as I can tell). Just make sure the paperwork and documentation is all in order. And do look over the vehicle carefully.

I was told the same thing the track mode would be removed from an OTA update. He made it clear the car in the near future absolutely will not have track mode. My bigger question is this all truly a limited run or an off menu stick around option. Reason why I wonder is it's either buy now and deal with a hug payment or save drastically and buy in 10-12 months and fingers crossed I can still get a stealth?

I was told the same thing the track mode would be removed from an OTA update. He made it clear the car in the near future absolutely will not have track mode. My bigger question is this all truly a limited run or an off menu stick around option. Reason why I wonder is it's either buy now and deal with a hug payment or save drastically and buy in 10-12 months and fingers crossed I can still get a stealth?

It's troubling to hear stuff like this, but if it's not in writing in your contract or paperwork I would not worry about it. But, this is why it is best to not bring it up. Just make sure you are paying for a Performance car.

Of course, I have no idea whether Tesla will take crazy steps in the future, but so far, everyone has Track Mode, and as far as I know has not signed documentation saying that they understand this feature will be taken away later (which would be insane).

It would concern me to hear this when buying a car, so I understand the concern. But I just can't see Tesla being crazy like this. Not saying they won't be. But they've been down this road before, and it would be bad for them to go back.

Last edited:
Reason why I wonder is it's either buy now and deal with a hug payment or save drastically and buy in 10-12 months and fingers crossed I can still get a stealth?

I would recommend saving up and waiting if you don't need the car, and the huge payments are a concern now. You'll likely save a lot of money. I don't know whether Stealth will still be available - if it's popular, probably - but there may be other options as well.

the person did indicate track mode wasn’t going to be there.

There must be recent P3D Stealth buyers who have NOT had this conversation? Anyone? If there's something in your purchase contract that says "Track Mode NOT Included," that would be cause for concern.

But a conversation is not typically a contract (an enforceable one anyway), and given that you have Track Mode currently, and it's not contractually not included, I think it's unlikely to be taken away due to the fury that would follow.

This whole topic does keep popping up (it was in that infamous table a couple weeks ago), so I do wonder whether there is something to it. But it doesn't really make any sense.

Well here’s a different puzzling example of Tesla sales.

I just ordered the Tesla Wireless Charger last night on the website.
It was listed as sold out but would be available to ship in 2-3 weeks.

Just now I received an email from Tesla with a tracking #, that states the Wireless Charger has already shipped.

The Tesla store still says the item is out of stock but will be available to ship in 2-3 weeks.

Following all this, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a stealth P3, but all the uncertainty is giving me pause. What will be available in a month or 2?

It's great that Tesla is sabotaging their sales on a spectacular car by providing mixed messages on an option (Track Mode) that is of no consequence to them one way or another (but of great value to new owners!), as it's something all of their existing P3D Stealth vehicles already have. They've already invested the time in confirming it works acceptably for the P3D Stealth (though of course on a high-speed track it thrashes the brakes, and the tires are completely inappropriate for using it)...so why would they continue to make its inclusion somehow questionable?!? Bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4
Personally, I wouldn't worry about what the sales people say. They tried telling me the same things about not having any of the performance options and even said I wouldn't have sport acceleration. I bought it anyway because my purchase agreement says I'm buying a performance model 3 and that's all it says. It doesn't clarify that it's a crippled version of a performamce model or anything else. Then I got the OTA update to performance software the next day after purchasing the car. Just make sure your paperwork says performance model 3 on it.

Following all this, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a stealth P3, but all the uncertainty is giving me pause. What will be available in a month or 2?

Tesla is always changing the pricing. They could abandon this offer altogether or make it a standard menu item and raise the price. Don't try to figure it out. It is like trying to time the stock market.

Reactions: Phlier and byeLT4
There must be recent P3D Stealth buyers who have NOT had this conversation? Anyone? If there's something in your purchase contract that says "Track Mode NOT Included," that would be cause for concern.

But a conversation is not typically a contract (an enforceable one anyway), and given that you have Track Mode currently, and it's not contractually not included, I think it's unlikely to be taken away due to the fury that would follow.

This whole topic does keep popping up (it was in that infamous table a couple weeks ago), so I do wonder whether there is something to it. But it doesn't really make any sense.

I thought I read some posts from folks outside the US that said Tesla was offering a M3P- on the menu and it had no Track Mode. I wonder if this is something they are working bringing back to the US market or if they simply have extra M3P- cars lying around that they want to get rid of off menu.

Marketing could position the M3P- as acceleration worthy but not Track Mode worthy without the performance tires and brakes. There was also a post somewhere about Tesla preventing top speed without the spoiler installed. I thought that was funny since the spoiler is just a tiny trunk lip spoiler and does not look like it offers much downforce but the conversation seemed to indicate it was no joke.

Marketing could position the M3P- as acceleration worthy but not Track Mode worthy without the performance tires and brakes. There was also a post somewhere about Tesla preventing top speed without the spoiler installed. I thought that was funny since the spoiler is just a tiny trunk lip spoiler and does not look like it offers much downforce but the conversation seemed to indicate it was no joke.

Interesting thoughts.

Maybe but the mixed messages are terrible. It also makes no sense as it should not cost Tesla anything (cooked brakes due to Track Mode use aren’t going to be a warranty-covered item).

I don’t know the details of the top speed but remember seeing a recent picture showing it existed on P3D Steath.

It’s just going to be a debacle if Tesla pulls this from people after giving it to them. If they were serious about no Track Mode, their only option would have been to remove it from these cars from the very beginning. Once it is there you can’t take it away, practically speaking.