Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't 100% agree with this (it's the whole crux of that debate). ;) Some people believe that even with the same part number, somehow Tesla is tracking these in "some other" mysterious way. So I guess it's a question of your definition of "different". Potentially, drive unit could be assembled the same way and have all the same nominal components. But those components could be lot sorted. I know you disagree with that and I'm not going to debate that - I don't have strong opinions on it, or any way to know the answer...yet. But is it possible? I suppose.

If that were true there's be no reason to now suddenly use a different part number for the 2 motors. Did they suddenly "forget" how to use this SOOPER SEKRIT mysterious tracking method?

Can't have it both ways.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Are all the motors made at one particular location?

I ask because different companies or even different sites within a company can produce higher quality items than the minimum specs call for. If part of the specification requirement is say must be 100 plus or minus 5% some sites may produce all parts right at the maximum permitted spec and some at the lowest permitted spec. All the parts meet the requirement for use but they can be dramatically different. I would think though that the Tesla Powertrain would have much tighter requirement specs than an ice car.

Did they suddenly "forget" how to use this SOOPER SEKRIT mysterious tracking method?

Maybe! It is Tesla! Maybe their prior tracking method was (predictably) horribly difficult to deal with.

Seriously, overall I agree. Maybe they have finally figured out how to implement Elon’s tweet (and finally make use of the up-to-now-unused lot-sorted inferior inverters or whatever) and are now actually doing it. Which would be good news for older AWD owners.

Or it is something much more benign like a gradual motor phase-in, and all the theories mentioned above will blow apart.

What is strange is that this 1120990 motor has been a twinkle in Tesla’s eyes for a long time...but is only rolling out now. It’s almost like they planned for it but couldn’t do it. Weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
I just picked up my pearl white m3p-

It’s awesome. The car was already “performance” ready when I picked it up. The underline badging on the car, on the touch screen, and on my Tesla app. And track mode is available. It was a lot of fun driving it the 80 miles back from the service center.

The build date is 7/19. And it looks like the motor is 960. I did a double take bc I was expecting 980. The picture attached isn’t very good. I’ll try to take a better picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• B02E8FB7-790A-4D91-ABBF-19532B908A7F.jpeg
    B02E8FB7-790A-4D91-ABBF-19532B908A7F.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 227
I just picked up my pearl white m3p-

It’s awesome. The car was already “performance” ready when I picked it up. The underline badging on the car, on the touch screen, and on my Tesla app. And track mode is available. It was a lot of fun driving it the 80 miles back from the service center.

The build date is 7/19. And it looks like the motor is 960. I did a double take bc I was expecting 980. The picture attached isn’t very good. I’ll try to take a better picture tomorrow.

Thanks.
This is the front motor. The rear motor is the one of interest here. The picture quality is fine. Just have to be able to read the square plate (a better picture is needed for the inverter details but it doesn’t really matter).

Thanks all! Seems pretty definitive at this point - multiple P3Ds with 980 motors and multiple AWDs with 990 motors. This seems to have started happening in May 2019 (and possibly as early as January, but I don’t have specific data - certainly in Europe it was as early as February).

So P3Ds are now officially different from AWDs. What is the significance? We don’t know, but speculation is that the maximum motor current rating for the rear motor is 630A in AWD rather than 840A for the P3D.

Or more info may arise and conclusions could change.

• Informative
Reactions: EvanLin and Joey_82