Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they go this route than it will only lead to them cancelling it all together months later due to lack of buying interest.

Only logic that makes any sense to me is if this is purely done at request of many sales reps complaining about customers asking for the Stealth all the time and those customers choosing to wait for one later rather than order now.

Bingo, to both of those, in my opinion. They likely made the "stealths" as an insider type thing.. gorilla marketing style. Then, because "nothing" good stays underground for very long, AND because, of all car buying demographics, the "tesla buying" demographic is decidedly onlline, forum connected, fairly tech savvy, etc, it got out. It got WAY out, and then people all over the country were bugging sales reps asking (and asking and asking) for them.

All those calls (and response to calls, and time hunting these down, emailing up the chain to manufacturing, etc) cost money. They dont WANT to sell the "stealths". They will sell you one if you really want one, but not to save you money. You REALLY "dont want" the PUP items, then you dont have to take them. People say they dont want them, but they absolutely will take them if its the same money either way. Most will (a few who really want to put other items on the car than tesla provides may not take them, but that will be rare).

So, "they dont want to sell it, so can cancel them due to lack of interest" and "they were being bugged about it all the time, AND people were holding off making purchases to try to get these instead of just ordering". Take away the money incentive, and this goes away.

What I could see them doing at some point is giving a small discount on the model 3p without performance pack (aka stealth). Something like 1k less for not having the performance pack items or something. In the meantime, they want people to just order the full performance and stop waiting for the cheaper stealth. This is one way to do it.

I see the argument and admit I am puzzled myself.
It just doesn't sound like common business sense to invent an option that has next to no chance of someone ordering it.

But a lot of folks have said they prefer the P3D- (I'm among the group that finds it a better car)

So perhaps Tesla has some data suggesting plenty of folks will still order it.

ADD: None of the logic I have read explains at all about Track Mode. Why would that all of sudden be removed.

That one is easy.

Track mode was originally developed and only meant for the P3D+

It only, reluctantly, came to the P3D- later because Elon had said all Ps get it- and even then shows a disclaimer on the screen on the P3D- telling you the brakes and such might not be up to it

So removing it from future cars wouldn't be much of a shock.

Nope.

OP contacted Tesla to confirm- and price was adjusted to match the P3D+ pricing (which is the same for + and - now)

Seems to reconfirm the P3D- being the same price is not "a website error" or anything like that.

Does seem that way, was following that thread and was curious how it would resolve.
I would still like to see an actual delivery happen.

Have a friend in the market but not in a rush for either a 2020 Stealth or a P3D+ ; I still think he should wait a month.
At same price the P3D+ is the obvious choice for him and anyone else. Even if you don't prefer the extras they still have value today and at resale time.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does seem that way, was following that thread and was curious how it would resolve.
I would still like to see an actual delivery happen.

Have a friend in the market but not in a rush for either a 2020 Stealth or a P3D+ ; I still think he should wait a month.
At same price the P3D+ is the obvious choice for him and anyone else. Even if you don't prefer the extras they still have value today and at resale time.

Do they?

I'm honestly not sure how much $ you'd actually pocket by selling the 20s and replacing them with 18s... I'd think anybody planning to move TO 20s would go with a better, lighter, wheel so they're not gonna pay a ton for the stock boat anchors.

Not something I've really followed, but unless you're sure you can make several grand doesn't seem worth the trouble to find a buyer for yours, a seller for the 18s, and making both happen in time that your car isn't wheel-less.

Fairly certain you would find no shortage of folks willing to swap 18 aeros with Primacy tires for the 20" rim with the sport tires if price was the same or under $1000. Especially for those new 2020 20" wheels which even folks who own the old 20" performance wheels may be interested in.

But agree trying to make more than that would be a hassle.
But the resale value difference is significant, rare for a new buyer not to care at all about that aspect.

Here in the Northeast the stock Performance 20 package is a definite risk to not only increase damage Due to pothole damage but cant even be used legally during the colder months.

There are far too many lawyers that would blame any accident on you for using “tires outside the recommended temperature range” and truthfully they would have a valid point.

Please note that I’m fairly certain the stock 18 Aero wheels don’t fit on the PS+.

I think he was suggesting going the other way... (?)

But the way you were thinking, yes, they the stock 18" do not fit on 3P+, sadly. A few people run them on the front, where they have like 1mm clearance, which you can maximize by loosening the caliper bolts and pushing it inwards :eek:. You also must run them with a 5mm spacer to avoid the hub lip (and it corrects the offset).

Fairly certain you would find no shortage of folks willing to swap 18 aeros with Primacy tires for the 20" rim with the sport tires if price was the same or under $1000.

Yeah, they would have slight excess poke on the non-performance vehicles, but I could see there being a market for brand new 20" wheels & tires. The tires are incredibly good. I'd pick another set up for the right price, since I live in a place where I can use them. I'd probably only pay about $1500 (that's the value of the tires), though, if they were in perfect condition. Presumably market price is a bit higher than that (my guess is $2500 for a full 20" 3P+ takeoff wheel/tire set in perfect condition).

So, "they dont want to sell it, so can cancel them due to lack of interest" and "they were being bugged about it all the time, AND people were holding off making purchases to try to get these instead of just ordering". Take away the money incentive, and this goes away.

I align with your thought and don't think this is a glitch or pricing mistake. Tesla doesn't want to sell the Stealth. It doesn't fit into the line-up for the M3:

1. M3 RWD
2. M3 AWD
3. M3 AWD w/boost (+$2k) <- This is the new Stealth
4. M3 Performance

The M3 Performance without PuP exists for the whiners that refuse to buy a M3P with 20" wheels.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I align with your thought and don't think this is a glitch or pricing mistake. Tesla doesn't want to sell the Stealth. It doesn't fit into the line-up for the M3:

1. M3 RWD
2. M3 AWD
3. M3 AWD w/boost (+$2k) <- This is the new Stealth -
4. M3 Performance

The M3 Performance without PuP exists for the whiners that refuse to buy a M3P with 20" wheels.

Fixed that for you- lol

Hmmmmm.... so I'm looking at the Tesla Website... I see a lot of Performance models in inventory.. Are my eyes deceiving me? It looks like we can get the P3- again.... See attached pic...

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-13 225540.jpg
    Annotation 2020-02-13 225540.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: byeLT4
Order now before it goes away!!! :p

Edit: Currently on EV-CPO I'm seeing quite a few black stealths with 19" rims (semi stealth? LOL) for 52,990. Some show locations and others just state 'pre-production'. All start with 627xxx on the VIN. Now if they would just make a batch in MSM......

Last edited:
Order now before it goes away!!! :p

Edit: Currently on EV-CPO I'm seeing quite a few black stealths with 19" rims (semi stealth? LOL) for 52,990. Some show locations and others just state 'pre-production'. All start with 627xxx on the VIN. Now if they would just make a batch in MSM......
I’m waiting for a batch in blue with white. Strangely they have a lot in inventory that are P3- that cost the same as the P3+

What I saw this morning checking multiple zip codes (different regions of the country)
There are new Stealths
the ones sold with 19's are being sold at the old price (2K premium) ; have to add the $1500 for the rims too
the ones sold with 18's are being sold at the new price (same as the +)
Makes zero sense so will see what happens, I imagine those 19's are going to be sold real quick.

What I saw this morning checking multiple zip codes (different regions of the country)
There are new Stealths
the ones sold with 19's are being sold at the old price (2K premium) ; have to add the $1500 for the rims too
the ones sold with 18's are being sold at the new price (same as the +)
Makes zero sense so will see what happens, I imagine those 19's are going to be sold real quick.

actually, the 19s are being sold with a 1.5k premium

Reactions: IDRVSLO