Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the Model Y is the better looking car and is clearly smarter in so many ways. The Mach-E charges slow, is slow and does not have a reliable charging network. It lacks some nice features such as built-in dash cams and sentry mode. If you buy a Mach-E, you are paying more money for a car that is not as good. That thing is just nothing but ugly. It's a fake muscle car.

Reactions: leoita
The new GM infotainment system will run Android Auto and will have Google Maps installed. A smartphone is not needed. No connection issues. However, you may need another data subscription. GM likes that anyway for Onstar emergency service.
Installed maps quickly get outdated. No mention of support for Waze. Spotify will require a subscription as with Tesla.

Since 2016, when I would travel and rent vehicles, I came to rely on using my iPhone with wired Apple Carplay to help me navigate. I don't rent vehicles these days but for people who rely on Waze for real-time traffic, police and other travel updates the GM Android infotainment system seems like it will disappoint.

The above video is a good example of why I wouldn't buy the Ford. Each to his own. On a side note: My son purchased an Audi just before the first of the year - that being said - living in South West Montana, I can travel anywhere and not worry about a Super Charger. My son on the other hand can NOT travel North or East without ANY charging options, other than a few slow 9 kw chargers. We (he) are anxiously waiting for more fast charging options. And on one other side note - he has to go to the dealership 100 miles to the south east to get any software updates (which there have been none.) Many reasons to stick with Tesla.
I can’t imagine owning a non-Tesla in this part of the country because of charging.

Especially in my local market…🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2748.png
    IMG_2748.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 75
The cyber orange is an incredible color and the MME looks better inside and out. I think the suspension especially on the GTPE is much better than the MYP.
Last year there was a point where the MME was equal to the price of the MY but because of the tax credit it was cheaper. At the current prices for the MY I would easily pick the Tesla and pocket the extra cash.

The cyber orange is an incredible color and the MME looks better inside and out. I think the suspension especially on the GTPE is much better than the MYP.
Last year there was a point where the MME was equal to the price of the MY but because of the tax credit it was cheaper. At the current prices for the MY I would easily pick the Tesla and pocket the extra cash.
Where I think legacy automakers are missing the boat, is the charger access. If Ford (for example) would install 10-12 charger stations at each dealership. They would have a network to offer and make profits after the sale. They will need the chargers anyway for their future products. So why not add a row of them somewhere on the lot? Let’s say it cost 20k for them to install the row of chargers. It would drive sales, get owners/customers to the lot and provide a cash positive service that does not require man power to staff.

Mach e has tried to link their former sports car with this small SUV. I initially looks good, but contrived styling will not hold up. It fails in representing their latest EV with the previous gas guzzler sports car.

Tesla Y is more of an honest design, where the styling represents what the car provides. It has superior aerodynamics which is critical for range and efficiency.

Where I think legacy automakers are missing the boat, is the charger access. If Ford (for example) would install 10-12 charger stations at each dealership. They would have a network to offer and make profits after the sale. They will need the chargers anyway for their future products. So why not add a row of them somewhere on the lot? Let’s say it cost 20k for them to install the row of chargers. It would drive sales, get owners/customers to the lot and provide a cash positive service that does not require man power to staff.
It's gonna cost way more than 20k ... They cost more like 100k per ccs charger

It's gonna cost way more than 20k ... They cost more like 100k per ccs charger
If they installed a row of supercharger equivalents, yes. But let’s just say they install the regular chargers like they install for their sales floor. I don’t think those chargers are “super chargers”, probably closer to wall connector or 14-50 style charge rate. 🤷‍♂️ I am not 100% sure as we decided to go with the Tesla network (ecosystem) from the beginning. But thinking about legacy auto makers that want to embrace their future. They need to ensure that their buyers have a network (and a reason) not to go with Tesla. The legacy dealerships have very little interest in selling EV’s. You pretty much have to take them away from dealers here. They mark them up 20k, won’t let you test drive them and they basically tell you up front….”you can buy it from us but we won’t try to sell you one”. But if they want to replace their ICE service cash flow they will need something like EV chargers to have cash flow after the sale. Think about if you had an EV and dealerships sold the cars and provided the place to charge…..where is there not a car dealer within 50-100 miles?

If they installed a row of supercharger equivalents, yes. But let’s just say they install the regular chargers like they install for their sales floor. I don’t think those chargers are “super chargers”, probably closer to wall connector or 14-50 style charge rate. 🤷‍♂️ I am not 100% sure as we decided to go with the Tesla network (ecosystem) from the beginning. But thinking about legacy auto makers that want to embrace their future. They need to ensure that their buyers have a network (and a reason) not to go with Tesla. The legacy dealerships have very little interest in selling EV’s. You pretty much have to take them away from dealers here. They mark them up 20k, won’t let you test drive them and they basically tell you up front….”you can buy it from us but we won’t try to sell you one”. But if they want to replace their ICE service cash flow they will need something like EV chargers to have cash flow after the sale. Think about if you had an EV and dealerships sold the cars and provided the place to charge…..where is there not a car dealer within 50-100 miles?
A bank of level 2 chargers is not a charging network

Yep….my thought was decent in theory but not feasible with the product Ford has. Only 28 miles per hour charge rate…🤪 for $800 when they have them in stock (out of stock). They would need to partner with Blink or one of the EV charge companies to make any sort of dent in the issue. But even the “out of stock” chargers speak volumes to their company’s dedication to EV product.

Attachments

• IMG_2811.png
    IMG_2811.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2812.png
    IMG_2812.png
    488.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: gt2690b
Ford is requiring their EV-certified dealers to install DC fast chargers. There’s a huge controversy among their dealers about this because of the cost involved, and some aren’t happy about it. Why do people get the idea that dealers must use Ford-branded hardware?

Lots of Tesla groupthink in this thread, but some really useful comments as well. The side-by-side photos do a great job showing the styling contrast between the two. I went with a non-Tesla for six months and agree that the CCS charging network is a big problem at this point. That and towing capacity drove me back to Tesla, but only a fool believes legacy automakers are filled with bumbling idiots who are incapable of putting out a quality product. Ford is iterating and improving faster than they’ve ever done, and the Tesla-sparked revolution in car design is touching all corners of the industry. Ford, Volkswagen, GM, and Toyota have leadership that is betting their careers and corporate futures on an EV-first product line. The stakes are high, and they know it.

I wouldn’t buy a MachE right now because value is always part of the equation. But if the Model Y were again $15K above the MachE, I’d take a strong look. Assuming, of course, the CCS network providers got their act together.

I've had three MMEs and I still miss it but the Y is growing on me. I'll do an in depth comparison eventually but I do think the MME looks better from the front and back. They're both great cars but phone as a key and cargo space make the Y a better DD and family car. And with the current prices and tax credits, it's a no brainer.
Wait, wait, wait - A MME owner thinks Tesla's phone-as-a-key is better than MME's exterior key pad???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, my comment is in jest only. If you go on Twitter or any MME forum you'll find probably the one feature that MME owners will DIE over is the superiority of the external keypad, almost as if the keypad trumps any other consideration or comparison between the MME and any other vehicle.

Again, as I said earlier I like the MME and I fully recognize Tesla owners are a bunch of crazies too. But I never thought I'd see the day when a MME owner admitted the phone-as-a-key was better than external keypad!!

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I wouldn’t buy a MachE right now because value is always part of the equation. But if the Model Y were again $15K above the MachE, I’d take a strong look. Assuming, of course, the CCS network providers got their act together.
That was the case when we started shopping/considering an EV to replace one of our ICE vehicles. Sold my wife’s Ram R/T when they announced the Mach E GT was coming out. I had fox body Mustangs when my wife and I meet in the late 90’s. She was always liked car shows and all that. So we discussed selling her truck and buying Mach E GT. Sticker was 62k (estimated MSRP). We had about a year to save and be ready when they came out. They started hitting the lots and dealerships were crazy. Asking way over sticker and the cars were just sitting there. The only one in our town was a dealership friend and they kept the car maybe 2-3 months and traded it back in. As all this was happening the MSRP’s shot up to 75-80k. Dealerships around here had the “you can buy one from us but we won’t try to sell it to you”, attitude. So when we saw MYP dropped to 59k….we test drove a used one with 50k miles. It was awesome so we ordered one that night! Then Elon decided to drop the price TWICE…while we are waiting for delivery…WIN WIN WIN!!!