Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM isn't very excited about the Ultium platform, either, they are cancelling the build of an Ultium factory in favor of new cylindrical batteries.

Ultium hasn't served them well so far, a friend purchased a Hummer EV (of which they made exactly TWO in the first quarter of this year) but can't pick it up because there is a full stop sale order due to leaks in the Ultium battery allowing air and water intrusion. And in China, where they use a different battery, GM produced ~2400 Lyriqs in 2022 but in the US using Ultium only about 200 for the entire year. The only GM EV that sells in any quantity at all is the Bolt which doesn't use Ultium and is being discontinued by GM.

As Elon has repeatedly indicated, building BEVs and in particular building reliable battery packs with good BMS is not easy, and doing so at scale is much harder. Legacy auto manufacturers like GM and Ford are going to go through quite a bit of growing pains - just like Tesla did back between 2012-2018 timeframe. There's a race ongoing here. Tesla has figured out the vast majority of roadblocks to BEV mass production and is scaling like crazy - and cutting margins to gain market share like crazy, with a clear admission that it's all about market share right now - it's not about profit margins. This will eventually eliminate a subset of competition in the marketplace IMHO - and big firms like GM and Ford see this and are transitioning as quickly as they can - but it remains to be seen if they will be successful as ICE manufacturing declines accelerate. When all is said and done - only a subset of the current auto manufacturers will be intact. It will be interesting to see where all of this ends up ten years out.

Reactions: laservet
at the end of the day, the MachE is clearly benchmarked with the Y. They copied everything and made a Ford version.
Key major design and features are all lifted from the Y.

Yes, they put 'mustang' front and rear caps on it but vastly prefer the style of the Y. It's just less cluttered and clean, confident.

Ford did a good job though, and I do like the deeply sculpted bodysides.
But engineering... Tesla simply is head and shoulders above.

I’ve never understood the haters.

The MachE has won several competitive comparisons against the Model Y, and lots of happy owners are enjoying them. It’s pretty obvious that members here prefer the Model Y, and I’m no exception to that. I’m a value buyer who’s after the best value for a car that meets certain criteria, and the Model Y easily accomplishes that. That was true for me when I bought before this latest round of price cuts, and I couldn’t imagine buying the MachE the way things are currently priced.

But what’s wrong with those who do? More EVs on the roads will make things better for all of us. Cleaner air, more support for charging infrastructure, and greater competition to push Tesla and others to keep improving. I want Ford, GM, VW, and the rest to succeed because it’s a win for all of us. Even though most of us would keep buying Teslas.

As Elon has repeatedly indicated, building BEVs and in particular building reliable battery packs with good BMS is not easy, and doing so at scale is much harder. Legacy auto manufacturers like GM and Ford are going to go through quite a bit of growing pains - just like Tesla did back between 2012-2018 timeframe. There's a race ongoing here. Tesla has figured out the vast majority of roadblocks to BEV mass production and is scaling like crazy - and cutting margins to gain market share like crazy, with a clear admission that it's all about market share right now - it's not about profit margins. This will eventually eliminate a subset of competition in the marketplace IMHO - and big firms like GM and Ford see this and are transitioning as quickly as they can - but it remains to be seen if they will be successful as ICE manufacturing declines accelerate. When all is said and done - only a subset of the current auto manufacturers will be intact. It will be interesting to see where all of this ends up ten years out.
rivian is screwed arent they :(

It's possible yes - I think these smaller niche players may survive - but likely via acquisition by larger players over time. We're not in yet in the macro market mature growth phase where consolidation becomes very common - but if we see global recession set in, I think it's very likely a lot of these smaller players like Rivian and Lucid will either fold or be consumed by other bigger players. Tesla will continue to eat into their market share just like they are doing with the legacy manufacturers. For Rivian, less so until the CT hits the mass market - but once that occurs starting later this year - I think Rivian will be in real trouble. Even these newer niche BEV players are having major logistical and supply chain challenges ramping up mass production. It's not nearly as hard to build a 5k-15k cars per year vs building hundreds of thousands per year. Will their be room in the BEV marketplace for niche players? Only time will tell, but I think we're not going to see as much diversity in models with BEVs like we've seen with ICE vehicles. BEVs are going to last a lot longer with significantly less maintenance over time - so there's not going to be as much of a need to keep upgrading or buying new vehicles over the long term I think. Only time will tell of course - but that's my sense looking forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
I ordered a Ford Mach-E Cal Route (the long rang equivalent) last September. The build date dragged and dragged, and when Tesla dropped prices at the end of the year, I ended up buying a Y LR, with 2 years free super-charging.

I've been very happy with the decision, but the Ford dealership called me Friday to let me know my Mach-E arrived. They'd forgotten I'd cancelled it, and had refunded the deposit in January. Curiosity got the better of me, so I stopped by and put them next to each other.

While I love my Y, the charging network, the additional trunk space, and not having to work through a 'dealer network', etc etc I can't help but think the mach-e looks a little better.

I still made the right decision. Right ?! :)

View attachment 929261

View attachment 929263

View attachment 929264
The Mach e front looks like a big ole clown face with a huge nose to me. But I’m also not a fan of the duck bill front of the Y. I like the new highland update.

Last edited:
The above video is a good example of why I wouldn't buy the Ford. Each to his own. On a side note: My son purchased an Audi just before the first of the year - that being said - living in South West Montana, I can travel anywhere and not worry about a Super Charger. My son on the other hand can NOT travel North or East without ANY charging options, other than a few slow 9 kw chargers. We (he) are anxiously waiting for more fast charging options. And on one other side note - he has to go to the dealership 100 miles to the south east to get any software updates (which there have been none.) Many reasons to stick with Tesla.
Why did he go with Audi?

The Ford Mustang Mach-E supports wireless Apple Carplay (also Android Auto.) Ford remains committed to Apple Carplay so you can use Waze.

GM recently announced that future GM vehicles including the 2024 Blazer EV and 2024 Equinox EV will not support Apple Carplay (not sure about Android Auto.) More auto manufacturers seem to be following Tesla in locking down the user infotainment experience. This forces customers to purchase subscription services for things like satellite navigation, real time traffic updates and streaming audio services such as Spotify.

Unfortunately the 2023 Mustang Mach-E (standard range and long range models) only qualify for half ($3,750) of the $7,500 US federal tax credit. All 2023 models of the Tesla Model Y qualify for the full ($7,500) federal tax credit.
Why do Tesla owners need Carplay or Android Auto to control the navigation and autopilot? Only the apps supported by those two apps are needed, for example: YouTube Music.

Why do Tesla owners need Carplay or Android Auto to control the navigation and autopilot? Only the apps supported by those two apps are needed, for example: YouTube Music.
Native Apple Carplay or Android Auto support for Waze without having to run a Raspberry Pi processor or point the Tesla browser to a sketchy web site.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pics. I've never really seen a Mach E other than passing a few in traffic. There is just something about slapping the Mustang logo on it that just seems wrong.
My uncle is a diehard Mustang fan and hates the Mustang Mach E name. Simply just call it the Mach E. And I agree. The car and that name is fine.

Woah woah woah! I know you're kidding but I never said it was better than the keypad! I actually liked the keypad - I didn't need my phone if the car was locked, it was a backup if PAAK failed, and you could use it to open the frunk or lock the car.

Ford's PAAK is just unpolished. I always had to open the app first, then I'd still have to wait outside the door for 2-3 seconds before it connected to my phone (3-5 if I didn't open the app). Every now and then, it also wouldn't let you start the car even though it let you open the doors and android auto connects properly. It doesn't seem like much but it wears on you, especially 100% of the time, rain or snow. Tesla's PAAK just works like it should.
Keypad would be nice for the times you want to lock everything in the glovebox at the beach. I have it on my Ford Escape. Owned it over 12 years now and used the keypad….twice. So I guess the value is overblown. But I like it nonetheless.

Reactions: Yelobird
Native support for Waze without having to run Rasberry Pi on a separate processor or point the Tesla browser to a sketchy web site.
I think Waze functionality is an in-progress work by Tesla. I want to hear alert about speed trap that Android Auto provides.

My uncle is a diehard Mustang fan and hates the Mustang Mach E name. Simply just call it the Mach E. And I agree. The car and that name is fine.
MME definitely inherited the Mustang "thing".

1683128725736.png

2016.4.12-Mustang-Memes-Wrecks-2.jpg

4e226612d8302ef025440d2e06b060a0.jpeg

tumblr_o5i5mxnIBu1qi5kjeo8_1280.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: laservet and SO16
Tesla designs their cars primarily for functional reasons. Areo, packaging, easy to build, sized to market, etc.

Legacy builders have always relied on styling gimicks to market their cars. Nostalga at work with the Mustang.

Reactions: SO16
. Shopping or deciding primarily based on “value” or price in my view is the foolish view. What is more important a cheaper car or a Better car? I personally prefer a better car and network offering over saving a few bucks. You will celebrate your minor savings on day one but Always remember the cost of that savings for many years owning that product.

I’ve done all of my own maintenance and repairs for over 20 years. I’m well aware of the difference in quality between brands, and I build that into what I define as “value.” The MachE is equal or superior to the Y in several areas, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as well-built. I have almost three years of Tesla ownership and six months with an EV6…that short period with the Kia taught me the value of a reliable charging network. That’s another huge component of value to me.

None of that means the MachE is a bad car in my view. But I would never pay equal money for a MachE as I could get a Model Y for. Price that MachE at $35-40K and it may be a different story.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Native Apple Carplay or Android Auto support for Waze without having to run a Raspberry Pi processor or point the Tesla browser to a sketchy web site.
I have Waze running on my Android cell, set an action for it to open whenever I get in the car. I leave it in the wireless charger spot and set the sound to Alerts Only. This way I can use the big, beautiful screen for everything else and my phone alerts me for police, etc. I only need the verbal warning, the Waze map adds nothing.

In many places a Mach E is more expensive than the comparable Model Y. Ford just announced price cuts for the Mach E, we'll see how competitive it is once those cuts go into place. Currently there is about an 86 day supply of Mach Es in dealer lots, so they're not flying off the lot at their current prices.

I have Waze running on my Android cell, set an action for it to open whenever I get in the car. I leave it in the wireless charger spot and set the sound to Alerts Only. This way I can use the big, beautiful screen for everything else and my phone alerts me for police, etc. I only need the verbal warning, the Waze map adds nothing.

In many places a Mach E is more expensive than the comparable Model Y. Ford just announced price cuts for the Mach E, we'll see how competitive it is once those cuts go into place. Currently there is about an 86 day supply of Mach Es in dealer lots, so they're not flying off the lot at their current prices.
IFTTT ?

Not necessarily. The capital crunch of today has happened at a time with Rivian's balance sheet is still relatively strong. Their cash crunch is likely to be at its worst in the 2025-26 timeframe.

They'll live or die based upon the performance of their R2 launch. Its always risky, but they certainly have a viable chance.