Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E review from Model 3 SR+ owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

As I read more and more about the EV space and the manufactures coming out with more options, the future is looking great. I do feel Ford is in way over its head with a steady stream of issues cropping up on the Mach E Forums. Seems like they don't do software so well. There is enough evidence in charging problems both at home and away to see this. It's well documented on YouTube. I've said it to friends asking about the EV space, The Mach E is a great car, but it's a horrible EV. Ford can "kind of" build cars (The 2020 Ford Explorer has 10 recalls already) but they look very poor in the software development department. In my opinion the UX\UI is already outdated, and if the processing power is lacking and lagging future UI changes are going to prove difficult.

I don't see how Ford will eat into any Tesla sales as most of the reviews indicate, rather, Ford had a great opportunity to take a big chunk out of Tesla, I think they have clearly screwed that up. When KIA/Hyundai come out with their products, it will be Ford that will be nervous about their Mach E sales.

The model I test drove is still sitting at the dealership in my area (3+ weeks), in a sea of ICE Mustangs. Some of which are called Mustang Eco-Boost Premium, not a very intimidating muscle car name for a well establish nameplate.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

As I read more and more about the EV space and the manufactures coming out with more options, the future is looking great. I do feel Ford is in way over its head with a steady stream of issues cropping up on the Mach E Forums. Seems like they don't do software so well. There is enough evidence in charging problems both at home and away to see this. It's well documented on YouTube. I've said it to friends asking about the EV space, The Mach E is a great car, but it's a horrible EV. Ford can "kind of" build cars (The 2020 Ford Explorer has 10 recalls already) but they look very poor in the software development department. In my opinion the UX\UI is already outdated, and if the processing power is lacking and lagging future UI changes are going to prove difficult.

I don't see how Ford will eat into any Tesla sales as most of the reviews indicate, rather, Ford had a great opportunity to take a big chunk out of Tesla, I think they have clearly screwed that up. When KIA/Hyundai come out with their products, it will be Ford that will be nervous about their Mach E sales.

The model I test drove is still sitting at the dealership in my area (3+ weeks), in a sea of ICE Mustangs. Some of which are called Mustang Eco-Boost Premium, not a very intimidating muscle car name for a well establish nameplate.

I think most of the Mach-E's sitting at dealers are just demo or service vehicles. At least in my area the 4 dealers I have been to all have said the same thing.

I also agree that Ford does not know how to do software. But I also think Ford would of had a real hit if they had asked for collaboration with Tesla. I think Toyota is going to come out with something that will really be for the masses using Teslas SC infrastructure. Maybe the hatchback some of us have been waiting for?

I think most of the Mach-E's sitting at dealers are just demo or service vehicles. At least in my area the 4 dealers I have been to all have said the same thing.

I also agree that Ford does not know how to do software. But I also think Ford would of had a real hit if they had asked for collaboration with Tesla. I think Toyota is going to come out with something that will really be for the masses using Teslas SC infrastructure. Maybe the hatchback some of us have been waiting for?

Local dealer told me Ford is starting to roll out "test drive" vehicles to dealers with restrictions that they can’t sell them until they hit 4,000 miles. Might have something to do with it.

GM does the same with Volt/Bolt owners. Volt owners that regularly plug their cars in only need an oil change every two years. Yet that doesn't stop the dealerships from pushing unneeded oil changes every 6 months.
doesn't the volt have an engine? it isn't an EV

Last edited:

I just checked the dealers website and they show 4 models in stock that range from $60,183 CDN to $73,843 CDN.

You can buy 2 x Ford F-150 XLT for $36,335 CDN for the price of one Mach-E.

Software is not something that the legacy car makers do well. They've been outsourcing everything for decades and developing that function in house is going to be hard. I used the Ford SW in my CMax and it sucked royally, though I assume it's a lot better now. And frankly, if you're a really good SW engineer, will you choose to work for Tesla or Ford/GM/etc.? Overtime, I expect that everyone will catch up, but it definitely gives Tesla a leg up for the next few years.

That being said, I hope the Mustang EV does well and encourages others to bring out their own EVs.

The Mach-e has software, but build issues as well it seems, which in all fairness is to be expected with a new vehicle. It looks like their glass roof design (and / or assembly) lends to increased wind noise and the possibility of cracking. Owners have noticed that the glass front edge stuck up slightly above the roof line and can be inconsistent on either side.

Hopefully, Ford gets these ironed out sooner than later and not go down the 'let's ignore them and hope they go away' road.

Reactions: BrianG1970
It's great that Ford has held back vehicles, but the incentive they issued is apparently for US customers only, with various threads from Canadian customers saying they are not getting the incentive.

I was recently out shopping for cars, and they legacy dealership model is painful at best. Not to beat on Ford, but in my area, there dealership was worse off than others. If customers go into a dealership and get poor and inaccurate advice, they've lost me as a customer. In most cases the customers has done their homework online, and is the reason they are walking into the dealership in the first place. While I give that Tesla customer service is for the most part non-existent but the 30 seconds it took to purchase my Model 3 SR+ is far better than any legacy dealer experience.

When I checked ford.ca, I was blown away with 8 different SUV choices.

Legacy purchase experience, legacy knowledge of staff and service technicians make for a very poor customer experience.
My Ford dealership here in Sudbury has always treated me well. Traded in 2019 VW Jetta 2 weeks ago to order 2021 Ford Escape SEL Plug-In but Ford Canada decided that rest of allotment for Ford Escape Plug-Ins going to BC or Quebec , none to Ontario (((( They had allotment of 4 Mach-E for 2021 and has been put on waiting list for 2022 Mustang Mach-E allotment but have not given deposit.

So now between 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ because it gets the $5000 Federal Canada Rebate which the Mach-E does not.

Dan

My Ford dealership here in Sudbury has always treated me well. Traded in 2019 VW Jetta 2 weeks ago to order 2021 Ford Escape SEL Plug-In but Ford Canada decided that rest of allotment for Ford Escape Plug-Ins going to BC or Quebec , none to Ontario (((( They had allotment of 4 Mach-E for 2021 and has been put on waiting list for 2022 Mustang Mach-E allotment but have not given deposit.

So now between 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ because it gets the $5000 Federal Canada Rebate which the Mach-E does not.

Dan
M3 SR+ should be a good choice if you don't insist on a crossover vehicle style. Extra $$ should be helpful if you plan to get anything for your car like installing a charger at home or a PPF (Xpel, for example) on the car. If I were in Canada, PPF would be a must do thing for any my vehicle.

Ford might be hard to deal with because you can easily get lost in communications between way-too-many corporate departments and dealerships. With Tesla, it's easy, you know exactly where you got lost. 🙄