Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a sale.....sort of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Most people here I am pretty evangelical about Tesla and the Model S. I have been crowing for years about the car and the company and how it is the future. I will talk obsessively to anyone who mentions the word Tesla.

Well apparently it all finally sunk in with my little brother, as to my surprise yesterday he pulls into my driveway in a brand new Volt. Yeah it isn't a Tesla but he is not currently in a position to be able to afford a Model S and he drives less than 10 miles to work a day so it will be perfect for him. Happy to have an electric convert.

The problem is he beat me to the punch! As I have been obsessed to no end with the Model S, I just can bring myself to pull the trigger on such an expensive car even though I can afford it. Since my round trip to work is 110 miles a Model S is the only electric car that will get me there and back. So here I am still drive my crappy ICE car while my younger brother enjoys the wonders of electric drive. Maybe this will finally give me the push I need!

About time, press that confirm button, DO IT.

Operational cost savings are huge. If I had your commute my daily fuel cost in an ICE would be $33.84 compared to $3.96 in my Model S. Also take into consideration, "Top" safety rating (can't put a price on that), extremely low maintenance, driving the future, and above all fulfilling your dream (can't put a price on that either, since you can afford it)

You can't have your little brother showing you up. Do it, already!

I know right!

Believe me I have ran the numbers and know how much I will be saving. Close to $5,000 a year. Either Tesla gets my money or big oil and believe me I would much rather give it to Tesla. I make good money but by no means am I rich. I have gained my financial independents by being very smart with my money. This is my issue, because a $100,000 cars seems crazy. I remember looking at cars thinking I can't spend $50,000 on that. Now I look at the same car for $50,000 and think that's not to bad. The price barrier is slowly breaking down. I feel owning the car is inevitable so I should just get on with it but then I decide it is to much. The wife has even been getting on me telling me to "Just buy it already!"

I'm in the same boat. I'm not "rich" either, but somehow it wasn't that hard to click that button. A good chunk paid in cash, super low loan rate and a $3000 reimbursement from my employer for buying a low carbon vehicle on top of the $7500 tax credit, and saving about $300 a month by not being gas...

Just get it already, you can't fight it. LOL

I know right!

Believe me I have ran the numbers and know how much I will be saving. Close to $5,000 a year. Either Tesla gets my money or big oil and believe me I would much rather give it to Tesla. I make good money but by no means am I rich. I have gained my financial independents by being very smart with my money. This is my issue, because a $100,000 cars seems crazy. I remember looking at cars thinking I can't spend $50,000 on that. Now I look at the same car for $50,000 and think that's not to bad. The price barrier is slowly breaking down. I feel owning the car is inevitable so I should just get on with it but then I decide it is to much. The wife has even been getting on me telling me to "Just buy it already!"

Hey there fellow smart-with-money trying to rationalize the Model S. I too went through this!

Need The Opinion Of Others For My Purchase

I get my car next week. :D

Not saying you should, just letting you know you are not the only one! Never thought I would spend more then 25k on a car! Thought I would be debt free before I would buy another car. Oh well... I set that back a few years and I am happy with it. :)

Base 65kWh will still meet your needs and (with supercharging enabled) would be $65k after fed credit. Compare that to those $50k cars + fuel.. no brainer.

I have looked hard into a 60 but I just don't think it will cover all of my needs. The biggest thing is I live in the frozen north and have to deal with the mileage hit due to the cold and snow during winter months. Also I quite often pass 150 miles a day if I have do some errands around town. Additional I have no place to charge at work during the day. With all of this added up, a 60 was cutting it way to close. Also with the amount of miles I would be racking up the unlimited mileage battery warranty that is included with the 85 would also be nice to have.

Right now my build stands at around $95,000 (including sales tax and minus federal tax credit ($7,500) and state rebate (IL $4,000)). I could whittle it down a few more thousand but I've decided if I am going to spend this much on a car I might as well get everything I want instead if trying to hit a target price (i.e. sub $90,000). Go for the gold right!

If you can't rationalize the Tesla purchase, consider a Volt. I have one and love it almost as much as my Tesla. You'd knock off alot of the daily gas-miles, esp if you could wrangle a plug at work. Doing 25 - 40 miles electric each day is far better than all-gas! And you would save a bundle on the price of the car. If you buy a Volt you may not feel as bad if you want to trade it 5 years or so from now. Battery changes are coming, folks. In 5 years all us "early adopters" are going to be wishing we had new cars, I think (and hope!). (check this out - Power Japan Plus ll A Materials Engineer)

I know my comment won't be well received here on the Tesla forum, so I will state for the record you'll get a much wider grin from the Model S!

Last edited:
As Most people here I am pretty evangelical about Tesla and the Model S. I have been crowing for years about the car and the company and how it is the future. I will talk obsessively to anyone who mentions the word Tesla.

Well apparently it all finally sunk in with my little brother, as to my surprise yesterday he pulls into my driveway in a brand new Volt. Yeah it isn't a Tesla but he is not currently in a position to be able to afford a Model S and he drives less than 10 miles to work a day so it will be perfect for him. Happy to have an electric convert.

The problem is he beat me to the punch! As I have been obsessed to no end with the Model S, I just can bring myself to pull the trigger on such an expensive car even though I can afford it. Since my round trip to work is 110 miles a Model S is the only electric car that will get me there and back. So here I am still drive my crappy ICE car while my younger brother enjoys the wonders of electric drive. Maybe this will finally give me the push I need!

OMG, if you can afford it, do it. This week is one year with my Model S. I used to buy a new car at least every year or two. I get bored easy and they loose their appeal to me. And I have driven everything but a Bently. This MODEL S is unreal. Quiet, smooth, software updates every month or two, service beyond any I have ever seen, and a really gorgeous looking car. Just DO IT! You only live once....

Hey there fellow smart-with-money trying to rationalize the Model S. I too went through this!

Need The Opinion Of Others For My Purchase

I get my car next week. :D

Not saying you should, just letting you know you are not the only one! Never thought I would spend more then 25k on a car! Thought I would be debt free before I would buy another car. Oh well... I set that back a few years and I am happy with it. :)

Bardlebee thanks for the link. Sounds like we have a similar mindset. Some good information in there. I am completely debt free including house and cars and currently have $50,000 in TSLA stock. I am 35 years old with a wife and two kids (one new born). Currently maxing out both mine and my wife's retirement contribution and have been for the past 10 years.

My goal was to basically have my TSLA stock pay for the car therefore easing any concerns about it being so expensive but now I have created a whole other issue with the stock. I don't want to sell because I am so bullish on it. $210 today maybe $500 in a few years maybe $1000 in 10 years. I have told myself that if TSLA hits $300 a share I will pull the trigger but I still have concerns getting out at $300. I should had gotten out when we touch $260 earlier this year bought the car and been done with it.

My brother told me to buy the car and set a sell limit at $300 on the stock. Enjoy the car and one day I will wake up and the car will be paid for. Not a bad idea, I am considering doing this.

My brother told me to buy the car and set a sell limit at $300 on the stock. Enjoy the car and one day I will wake up and the car will be paid for. Not a bad idea, I am considering doing this.

That's a tough one. I remember a colleague that sold some stock options to buy a Miata in like 1995, and a few years later we used to roast him that if he'd held he could have bought a Ferrari.

I have looked hard into a 60 but I just don't think it will cover all of my needs. The biggest thing is I live in the frozen north and have to deal with the mileage hit due to the cold and snow during winter months. Also I quite often pass 150 miles a day if I have do some errands around town. Additional I have no place to charge at work during the day. With all of this added up, a 60 was cutting it way to close. Also with the amount of miles I would be racking up the unlimited mileage battery warranty that is included with the 85 would also be nice to have.

Right now my build stands at around $95,000 (including sales tax and minus federal tax credit ($7,500) and state rebate (IL $4,000)). I could whittle it down a few more thousand but I've decided if I am going to spend this much on a car I might as well get everything I want instead if trying to hit a target price (i.e. sub $90,000). Go for the gold right!

What build and options are you looking at?