Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in Austin Model Y LR: First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Collected in Colorado Springs yesterday, drove home 400 miles.
My initial impression is positive, but do keep in mind that I don't usually notice small car details.

No panel gaps, nice white paint.
The car developed a rattle somewhere near the passenger side front door I have yet to track down. I'll hunt some more and worse case notify Tesla.

The drive was fine, the safety features were ... not. I got tired of the incessant nagging to take the wheel even though I hold it with two hands. The car demand to drive exactly in the middle of the lane is so inflexible I ended up disabling all safety features. I had at least five phantom brake events on the highway causing rapid slowdowns from 75+ to 60-ish. It got to the point that I felt anxiety any time a car was behind me so I disabled the cruise control.

I'l have a closer look tomorrow, and bring along my magnet ;)

Here’s a few things to try if car is giving your issues: 1. Make sure that your car is connected to Wi-Fi and that you have most updated software. 2. Perform a reboot holding down both scroll wheels (while parked) until the screen goes dark. 3. Wash your car making sure that all cameras are clean. If all else fails schedule a service appointment on your app.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Here’s a few things to try if car is giving your issues: 1. Make sure that your car is connected to Wi-Fi and that you have most updated software. 2. Perform a reboot holding down both scroll wheels (while parked) until the screen goes dark. 3. Wash your car making sure that all cameras are clean. If all else fails schedule a service appointment on your app.
I don’t think washing the car is going to do away with lane centering and phantom braking.

More.details.2

The hand pendant has a magnet on the back

Magnet.jpegPXL_20220828_214319927.MP.jpgPXL_20220828_214332831.jpeg

The wheel is sensing torque, not pressure in some other way. Rest one hand on the wheel or apply light torque.

Not ideal but cover the accelerator with your foot. If it phantom brakes, push the accelerator to reduce the speed impact.

Not sure about an issue with driving in the center of the lane. As it passes larger vehicles it will offset as necessary. Overtime you will trust it once you know what to expect.

Sorry about the rattle, try applying pressure where possible to see if you can isolate the source.

Reactions: SageBrush
Collected in Colorado Springs yesterday, drove home 400 miles.
My initial impression is positive, but do keep in mind that I don't usually notice small car details.

No panel gaps, nice white paint.
The car developed a rattle somewhere near the passenger side front door I have yet to track down. I'll hunt some more and worse case notify Tesla.

The drive was fine, the safety features were ... not. I got tired of the incessant nagging to take the wheel even though I hold it with two hands. The car demand to drive exactly in the middle of the lane is so inflexible I ended up disabling all safety features. I had at least five phantom brake events on the highway causing rapid slowdowns from 75+ to 60-ish. It got to the point that I felt anxiety any time a car was behind me so I disabled the cruise control.

I'l have a closer look tomorrow, and bring along my magnet ;)
A total guess but it helped my car on delivery. Clean all the camera areas Really good especially the top of the wind screen. My car had an oily film on it and effected camera calibration. I noticed the film after washing as you could see several large circular suction marks on the glass from the robot installation. Took a good bit of elbow grease and quality cleaner to get it all off but worked great after. Would recalibrate the cameras again after. Good luck and congrats on the car. Also check the seat belts. I had a rattle driving me nuts and turned out to just be the seat belt was flipped to the side.

Reactions: SageBrush
You can put your hands wherever you want with just TACC.
Then why is the car nagging me to put my hands on the wheel, even though I am holding the wheel with two hands.
My car is a 2022 Model with only the basic autopilot supplied with every car.

I would love to know how to drive with DCC ONLY, without any nannying how I hold the steering wheel or how off-center I am in the lane.

Check the passenger seatbelt buckle for the rattle. Mine was doing this very loud when it was in a weird spot between the seat and the door.

I haven't ever heard it since I moved it. Seatbelt gets used regularly. (It's just if it gets in that one spot where it vibrates on the door plastic).

Last edited: