Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Screen keeps rebooting by itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread started in 2016. I haven't had this problem at all until this month July 2017. Seems to only happen on weekends, constant rebooting maybe 10 times in a row. I called service and they said it may be a problem with the trip meter. He suggested that I reset both the A and B trip meters. I reset A but not B because B has life to date KW/mile info.
Resetting A did nothing. I was hoping it would be addressed in a future update but apparently not if this problem existed since 2016. Anyone else having the problem now?

This thread started in 2016. I haven't had this problem at all until this month July 2017. Seems to only happen on weekends, constant rebooting maybe 10 times in a row. I called service and they said it may be a problem with the trip meter. He suggested that I reset both the A and B trip meters. I reset A but not B because B has life to date KW/mile info.
Resetting A did nothing. I was hoping it would be addressed in a future update but apparently not if this problem existed since 2016. Anyone else having the problem now?
I don't have spontaneous reboots when driving, but for the past month it hasn't been unusual for both the IC and the main screen to be rebooting when I get into the car. I'm pretty sure it's instability caused by code system updates introduced in the last two software updates. It's been slightly better over the past week or two since the latest update. In either case I doubt it's the nav issue that this thread started out as.

That's nonsense. As if a trip meter would cause the entire system to crash and reboot.

• Funny
Reactions: mblakele
Agreed. But on that vein, how come there isn't a special Lifetime trip meter that you can't reset, just like it has the current trip and since last charge special trip meters!? Seems like the most common use case for either Trip A or Trip B.

There is. The car keeps track of the total miles and energy charged and discharged. It's just not available on the normal UI. The car keeps track of a huge amount of data. There is no way a trip meter would bring the system to a halt.
If Tesla's software is written so bad that keeping track of two numbers (distance and energy) brings the system down, they would be the worst programmers on the planet. And I kind of doubt that. So the service center saying reset your trip meter to prevent random system reboots is tragic/nonsense.

Started with me about three weeks ago. Model X 75D.

Rebooted about 15 times on my commute home today. Service Center has tried repairing remotely for three weeks now. Not cool (literally and figuratively) in the Atlanta heat in August when the AC goes out.

At the end of my rope here. Considering Lemon Law options soon. Ugh.

I would hope the Model 3 does not have this problem. Despite the screen going black or freezing and rebooting, the car itself will drive just fine. No driving features are affected.
True. But you have no idea how fast you are going or any of the other info that is usually redisplayed on the ICC much more quickly than on the display. It's just something I've wondered about when I have to reboot my Model S sometimes while driving but still at least have the ICC.

Reactions: David99
I have had this a few times.
I have a theory that it occurs when it is stuck with a navigation command.
If I quickly cancel a trip in the Nav then reboot using the wheel buttons it usually stops rebooting.
Could be coincidence though...

True. But you have no idea how fast you are going or any of the other info that is usually redisplayed on the ICC much more quickly than on the display. It's just something I've wondered about when I have to reboot my Model S sometimes while driving but still at least have the ICC.

I totally agree, it's not just a small glitch, it's a serious issue. Not seeing your speed, not having navigation and some other important info is a problem. Fortunately Tesla made the core system pretty robust. Even with booth screens out, the car drives normal.

I was on the phone with Tesla a few days ago about the issue. I wanted to bring my car in but they said they are aware of the issue and many cars are affected. They said there will be an OTA update that should fix it and not bring it in to the service center as they most likely can't solve the problem anyways. Just annoying as it started on my car months ago with the last major software update. It has never done that before.

I've only had this happen a couple of times so far, but today it did it again. Getting into the car and the main screen shuts off (goes black) for a few seconds and then comes back. The only consistencies I've noticed are it that it seems to happen when I have a passenger in the front seat. Replaying it my head, today i think both doors were open, I closed mine then my friend closed his. Is this something a reboot would fix (or clearing of the navigation) or do I need to take it into the service center?

The same happened to my car today at lunch. My wife and I both entered the car (two front doors) and the main screen was black and rebooted a few seconds later. The first time I am seeing a spontaneous reboot. I'll keep an eye on it.
My car is on 42.1 software.

Anyone seeing this behavior? It’s doing it again and slacker keeps giving loading errors. This is immediately following the update for keep AC on after parking software. I’ve contacted tech support and they checked my logs and saw nothing but stated there is already another update available.

The only consistencies I've noticed are it that it seems to happen when I have a passenger in the front seat. Replaying it my head, today i think both doors were open, I closed mine then my friend closed his.
I am curious if others who experienced this issue lately can confirm this observation. Did you have both front doors opened when it happened? The only time I personally saw this problem, my wife and I were both entering the car at the same time.