Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make your robotaxi predictions for the 8/8 reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon says that Tesla will reveal a dedicated robotaxi vehicle on 8/8. What do you think we will see? Will it look like this concept art or something else?

GKcNKVvaEAAUmMG

I will say that while this concept drawing looks super cool, I am a bit skeptical if it is practical as a robotaxi. It looks to only have 2 seats which would be fine for 1-2 people who need a ride but would not work for more than 2 people. I feel like that would limit the robotaxis value for a lot of people. Also, it would likely need a steering wheel and pedals for regulatory reasons even if Tesla did achieve eyes-off capability.

So I think this is concept art for a hypothetical 2 seater, cheap Tesla, not a robotaxi.

Could the robotaxi look more like this concept art but smaller? It could look a bit more like say the Zoox vehicle or the Cruise Origin, more futuristic box like shape IMO and seat 5-6 people.

robotaxi-tesla-autonome.jpg

Or maybe the robotaxi will look more like the "model 2" concept:

Tesla-Model-2-1200x900.jpg

Other questions:
- Will the robotaxis be available to own by individuals as a personal car or will it strictly be owned by Tesla and only used in a ride-hailing network?
- What will cost be?
- Will it have upgraded hardware? Radar? Lidar? additional compute?
- Will Elon reveal any details on how the ride-hailing network will work?

Thoughts? Let the fun speculation begin!

I thought the idea was they would be privately owned and rented out while the owner is at work, in which case it's the owner who will be washing and cleaning it before taking the ride back home.
No Tesla is planning to go full bore into the robotaxi business. Elon just appease owners saying we will also be allowed to add our cars to the fleet. But this is just a string along letting us down one step at a time since our cars really don't have the hardware for L4.

Tesla showed the 2 door RT twice at the Investor Meeting when Elon said they will solve autonomy.
Yes. It is truly possible. AS always, Elon wants to break the mold of what people expect. People expected a weak ass electric car like the Prius. Instead he brings out the Model 3 which competes with a Porsche 911 for 0-60 @ 4.1secs.

So yes. It is totally possible.

1718317116355.png

1718317142460.png

Attachments

• 1718317042603.png
    1718317042603.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 4
I've said sorta this before but.........everybody loves a sports car and most even love the experience of getiting in/out at least one. HOWEVER on a daily bases people will HATE getting in/falling down and struggling like HELL to get up/out. If Tesla makes this many will try it and hate it and would rather have an Uber SUV pick them up so they can just slide in and out like they are used to.

Or use Waymo when available in their area.

I've said sorta this before but.........everybody loves a sports car and most even love the experience of getiting in/out at least one. HOWEVER on a daily bases people will HATE getting in/falling down and struggling like HELL to get up/out. If Tesla makes this many will try it and hate it and would rather have an Uber SUV pick them up so they can just slide in and out like they are used to.

Or use Waymo when available in their area.

Worried this might be like Elon doubling down on the Cybertruck, he's going to push on what he personally thinks is Cool but not appealing to the masses.

Worried this might be like Elon doubling down on the Cybertruck, he's going to push on what he personally thinks is Cool but not appealing to the masses.
HOWEVER on a daily bases people will HATE getting in/falling down and struggling like HELL to get up/out.
That means he is pushing to appeal to the younger generation

No Tesla is planning to go full bore into the robotaxi business. Elon just appease owners saying we will also be allowed to add our cars to the fleet. But this is just a string along letting us down one step at a time since our cars really don't have the hardware for L4.

Elon plans to squeeze every ounce of profit potential from anyone dumb enough to buy in. In the past Elon said Tesla would take a percentage of revenue from the owners and that's after charging an upfront cost, possibly a franchise fee, to purchase the RT feature.

Elon plans to squeeze every ounce of profit potential from anyone dumb enough to buy in. In the past Elon said Tesla would take a percentage of revenue from the owners and that's after charging an upfront cost, possibly a franchise fee, to purchase the RT feature.
This has been a great day of news. Just super glad I bought in early in 2018/2020. Plus the free supercharging will help me with my margins. On top of the beers I've won betting against FSD left turns, there's not much more I need to make in order to break even.

Just super exciting times.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 11.13.45 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: gforce2002
Since the average car occupancy (driven yourself or taxi) is 1.3 – 1.4 person, a Tesla two-seater would suffice 90 percent of the time. Need to carry more people, THEN use a Tesla Model Y. This means that the standard Tesla RT can be made cheap and used cost-efficiently. The smaller the RT, the less difficulty in handling traffic autonomously also.

However, this also means that a prvately owned Tesla Model 3 deployed for ride-hailing can never be as price-competitive as Tesla's own 2-seater RT.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Since the average car occupancy (driven yourself or taxi) is 1.3 – 1.4 person, a Tesla two-seater would suffice 90 percent of the time. Need to carry more people, THEN use a Tesla Model Y. This means that the standard Tesla RT can be made cheap and used cost-efficiently. The smaller the RT, the less difficulty in handling traffic autonomously also.

However, this also means that a prvately owned Tesla Model 3 deployed for ride-hailing can never be as price-competitive as Tesla's own 2-seater RT.
If Tesla's initially looking like a four-wheeler RT turns out to be an inferior 'copy' from an older semi three-wheel design,
then any OEM that wants to compete with this specific Tesla RT will have a head start if it has that better design to work with...

7f2aa079ly1hpguqewed5j217c17c7dj.jpg

Last edited:
The smaller the RT, the less difficulty in handling traffic autonomously also.
Why? The question is not which one is easier to drive in heavy traffic, but rather which one will have the technology to reliably drive it from point A to point B. Judging by the posts in this forum, and my standing assumption that some of the guys here are paid influencers, my guess now is that 8/8 will see a render of what the Tesla robotaxi may look like in the future, if it ever materializes at all. In other words, a damp squib.

But "robotaxiing" for a privately owned M3 was moslty meant to reduce the cost of ownership, rather than an investment on its own. The two concepts do not compete with each other.

Why? The question is not which one is easier to drive in heavy traffic, but rather which one will have the technology to reliably drive it from point A to point B. Judging by the posts in this forum, and my standing assumption that some of the guys here are paid influencers, my guess now is that 8/8 will see a render of what the Tesla robotaxi may look like in the future, if it ever materializes at all. In other words, a damp squib.

But "robotaxiing" for a privately owned M3 was moslty meant to reduce the cost of ownership, rather than an investment on its own. The two concepts do not compete with each other.
Almost positive there will be a prototype shown on 8/8. CT, M3, etc. have all had a car hand built to show upon unveiling.