Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make your robotaxi predictions for the 8/8 reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon says that Tesla will reveal a dedicated robotaxi vehicle on 8/8. What do you think we will see? Will it look like this concept art or something else?

GKcNKVvaEAAUmMG

I will say that while this concept drawing looks super cool, I am a bit skeptical if it is practical as a robotaxi. It looks to only have 2 seats which would be fine for 1-2 people who need a ride but would not work for more than 2 people. I feel like that would limit the robotaxis value for a lot of people. Also, it would likely need a steering wheel and pedals for regulatory reasons even if Tesla did achieve eyes-off capability.

So I think this is concept art for a hypothetical 2 seater, cheap Tesla, not a robotaxi.

Could the robotaxi look more like this concept art but smaller? It could look a bit more like say the Zoox vehicle or the Cruise Origin, more futuristic box like shape IMO and seat 5-6 people.

robotaxi-tesla-autonome.jpg

Or maybe the robotaxi will look more like the "model 2" concept:

Tesla-Model-2-1200x900.jpg

Other questions:
- Will the robotaxis be available to own by individuals as a personal car or will it strictly be owned by Tesla and only used in a ride-hailing network?
- What will cost be?
- Will it have upgraded hardware? Radar? Lidar? additional compute?
- Will Elon reveal any details on how the ride-hailing network will work?

Thoughts? Let the fun speculation begin!

Not good for taking luggage inside. Those upswing doors are expensive and prone to abuse damage and will hit a neighboring car or pole. And why low profile tires? Why not 16" with big fat rubber like in the old days?

A traditional London Taxi is near the optimal configuration in the interior. Don't need front engine and driver seat obviously, but otherwise 3 or 4 seats all facing inward with space for luggage inside the main cabin is most useful. Forward facing bench with 2-3 seats, one rear facing extra seat, and the rest is room for cargo, on a flat rubberized floor. Wheelchair accessible, remember. The handicapped would be heavy users of robotaxis.

Small dual sliding doors (so they don't protrude far and can be closed automatically).

Not good for taking luggage inside. Those upswing doors are expensive and prone to abuse damage and will hit a neighboring car or pole. And why low profile tires? ....
Correct, PLUS:

Sports cars are cool BUT that is WAAAAAY too low for practical/fast entry and exit. 75% of the people would DISLIKE that and probably >20% would have a very difficult time getting in and/or out.

Last edited:
Reactions: spacecoin
Finally someone who is thinking like me. I like it....

1718213116858.png

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Just because they have a model Franz is posing with does bot mean it is RT. People are crazy…
Issacson said it was in the biography. He said it would be a 2 seater and the logic from people interpreting that was that the average taxi holds 1.3 people.

The image of Franz was from that biography. The one with Franz and another employee was sent out in a video from Tesla.

Edit: I don't think it's the best option, either, but that's all that Tesla, the company, has provided us. The rest are just renderings from fans.

Reactions: enemji