Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making phone calls with Voice control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having problems getting the voice command to call my wife to work.
I've got multiple phone numbers stored on the iPhone for my wife (iPhone, work, work mobile, home number). When I say
'Call XXX' (with XXX being the first name) it comes up with a list of phone numbers but the main phone number (iPhone) I am interested in only comes at the bottom of the list. The list does not seem to be ordered the same way it is on the iPhone.

I've tried 'Call XXX iPhone' or 'Call XXX mobile' but that all doesn't seem to work.

How do you do it? Is there a way to set up short cuts somewhere on the UI?

I am having problems getting the voice command to call my wife to work.
I've got multiple phone numbers stored on the iPhone for my wife (iPhone, work, work mobile, home number). When I say
'Call XXX' (with XXX being the first name) it comes up with a list of phone numbers but the main phone number (iPhone) I am interested in only comes at the bottom of the list. The list does not seem to be ordered the same way it is on the iPhone.

I've tried 'Call XXX iPhone' or 'Call XXX mobile' but that all doesn't seem to work.

How do you do it? Is there a way to set up short cuts somewhere on the UI?

If you have Hey Siri enabled try just shouting "Hey Siri call wife iPhone" rather than using the car's voice control... Works for me, I gave up trying to use the Tesla voice commands for calls as it never understands me.

As long as it's connected to the entertainment system it will cut off your music and switch to the phone call when it starts ringing. (Sometimes there's a slight delay)

Reactions: Cnixon
Voice control in Tesla is cr*p.

‘Call Jem’ always interprets as ‘Cool Jen’ no matter how I say it.

However if I say ‘Kaal J E M’ (kaal in slightly American accent) it works!

It doesn't work any better for us Americans I'm afraid. Maybe I should try a South African accent?

And no, you can't dial XXX mobile. You have to say dial XXX and then scroll to their mobile. So stupid.

• Funny
Reactions: Cnixon
If you have Hey Siri enabled try just shouting "Hey Siri call wife iPhone" rather than using the car's voice control... Works for me, I gave up trying to use the Tesla voice commands for calls as it never understands me.

As long as it's connected to the entertainment system it will cut off your music and switch to the phone call when it starts ringing. (Sometimes there's a slight delay)

^^This. Totally reliable. Or the android equivalent. Tesla voice commands are awful.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
Voice control in Tesla is cr*p.

‘Call Jem’ always interprets as ‘Cool Jen’ no matter how I say it.

However if I say ‘Kaal J E M’ (kaal in slightly American accent) it works!
I do "Carl" which is my interpretation of call in a California accent and I find it works very well.
Fortunately I don't know any one called Carl since I can envisage that could be a problem