Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making Tesla Cars Deaf-Friendly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Curious if Tesla or anybody has looked into options for making our cars more deaf-friendly? I was born deaf and don't speak, and I run into deaf-world problems daily with my Tesla cars (M3, M3LR [sold 2 weeks ago], MYLR and a MYP).

For example, here are my top 3 deaf-world issues when using self-driving, and with proposed solutions:

Blue flashing notification/warning on screen when using AP, EAP or FSD isn't always noticeable enough for me to catch in time as I don't watch the screen closely. Almost always for not applying enough pressure on the steering wheel. I'm 1 strike away from being put into FSD Jail again with my most recent MYP which is only 3 weeks old. That's more than 1 strike each week. I bought and installed a screen swivel kit a couple of days ago in the hopes it would help, but the very next morning on my way to work I missed the warning light and picked up my 4th strike regardless. To make things worse, I swear the swivel screen is making the screen sit a little lower, making it more likely I will miss future notifications. Doh.
Solution: Adjustable flashing intensity and/or colors on the screen so I can turn it up, or LED light on on the dashboard

I don't always feel the steering wheel vibrate when it's about to do a lane change, so sometimes I'm surprised when the car starts a lane change if I didn't already notice the screen notification going off. I don't like being surprised. (yes I turn on minimal changes/mildest setting)
Solution: adjustable vibrating intensity so I can turn it up especially when driving on rough surfaces. Same thing for anything that makes the car chime or beep like a red light turning green.

I am a huge supporter of the idea of FSD and want to contribute to improving FSD however I cannot provide verbal FSD disengagement feedback as requested when I forcibly disengage FSD. FSD screws up every single day at the same locations and I want to share my feedback to Tesla so that they can fix the problems that FSD runs into at these locations.
Solution: Give us the option of marking incidents with a time stamp and then later type out an explaination from the screen, a phone, computer or tablet so that Tesla can get our feedback and make improvements.

-Paul

Seems like a perfect case to request “reasonable accommodation”. Just need to figure out a way to reach Tesla with the ADA request

The thought crossed my mind, but I know it would be next to impossible to reach anybody at Tesla. And also why I posted here - hoping it catches the attention of somebody at Tesla. In the meantime I’ll probably just switch continually between using FSDb and Basic AP (when in FSD jail) until FSD gets out of beta then I should be fine for my concern #1 listed in the original post.

-Paul

Reactions: BSparx
Deaf Paul, Have you tried 2023.44.30, the December software update?

Written descriptions of the update regarding autopilot caused some concerns for me. Personal experience however I found the new visual notifications to wiggle the wheel easier to see. I had fewer struggles with keeping the software happy that I was present and attentive.

The visual cues were sufficient to keep me running smoothly over a 700 mile road trip. No audible cues were required.

On the down side autopilot m/FSD jail is much more severe.

I hope this works for you.

Deaf Paul, Have you tried 2023.44.30, the December software update?

Written descriptions of the update regarding autopilot caused some concerns for me. Personal experience however I found the new visual notifications to wiggle the wheel easier to see. I had fewer struggles with keeping the software happy that I was present and attentive.

The visual cues were sufficient to keep me running smoothly over a 700 mile road trip. No audible cues were required.

On the down side autopilot m/FSD jail is much more severe.

I hope this works for you.

Yes I have - The visuals is easier to see which I appreciate. 👍

However, I get steering wheel warnings WAY more frequently - several times while just sitting at a stop light. :oops: 👎

I managed to catch all of them in time though and have not gotten dinged, much less put into FSD jail.

I’m concerned about the downside you mentioned about FSD jail being more severe - what changed? Is it no longer a 1 week suspension? I was planning to strike out today or tomorrow before my 6-day trip to the mainland so that I can return to a “clean” 0-strike car (I think I have 2 strikes on it currently).

-Paul

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod