Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually Start Battery Preconditioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle/Software works as it should, plug in a supercharger destination and the car will begin its preconditioning routine. However, the Cincinnati/Blue Ash Tesla Dealership removed their superchargers from the list and the vehicle does not precondition as a result.

Is there a way to manually start the process?

Vehicle/Software works as it should, plug in a supercharger destination and the car will begin its preconditioning routine. However, the Cincinnati/Blue Ash Tesla Dealership removed their superchargers from the list and the vehicle does not precondition as a result.

The car should be "pre-conditioned" after a sufficiently long drive. Don't know if that is your situation, but you can also trick it into pre-conditioning by setting another supercharger as your destination and then driving not on the route. A bit of a hack, but you probably know the area. It has to be close by, but if far away, you'll have conditioned it by driving.

I've looked though the settings, as you have, and there aren't very many places to look.

The car should be "pre-conditioned" after a sufficiently long drive. Don't know if that is your situation, but you can also trick it into pre-conditioning by setting another supercharger as your destination and then driving not on the route. A bit of a hack, but you probably know the area. It has to be close by, but if far away, you'll have conditioned it by driving.

I've looked though the settings, as you have, and there aren't very many places to look.

Setting a different Supercharger as your destination probably won't work, as it doesn't start preconditioning until you're about 15 minutes from your destination. It my work farther out in colder weather ... it's certainly worth a try.

I'm usually close enough to a supercharger that I can map to one of those, and it generally will precondition. However it appears to stop after something like 10 minutes, although I tend to be driving away from the SC. I'd like a way to manually do this. The car warms the pack if its cold enough and you turn climate on in the app. It only runs for a bit and just takes the edge off, leaving lots of regen dots and power limit. Oddly it stops when you open a door, generally. I had it continue once though, maybe it just changes the temp target as you enter or something. The car does drive kinda odd when

The best way ive found to warm the pack is hammer on the car. Usually it only takes like 5 pulls to well above the speed limit, and ride the regen down. Wait 10 minutes and watch the dots go away. It kinda sucks that it comes up to temp generally right as I reach my destination.

I'm usually close enough to a supercharger that I can map to one of those, and it generally will precondition. However it appears to stop after something like 10 minutes, although I tend to be driving away from the SC. I'd like a way to manually do this. The car warms the pack if its cold enough and you turn climate on in the app. It only runs for a bit and just takes the edge off, leaving lots of regen dots and power limit. Oddly it stops when you open a door, generally. I had it continue once though, maybe it just changes the temp target as you enter or something. The car does drive kinda odd when

The best way ive found to warm the pack is hammer on the car. Usually it only takes like 5 pulls to well above the speed limit, and ride the regen down. Wait 10 minutes and watch the dots go away. It kinda sucks that it comes up to temp generally right as I reach my destination.

That's one big waste of energy for something that modestly improves driving behavior. You're spending more energy getting the pack up to temperature than you're going to get from the additional regen that it provides.

Setting a different Supercharger as your destination probably won't work, as it doesn't start preconditioning until you're about 15 minutes from your destination. It my work farther out in colder weather ... it's certainly worth a try.

You miss the point - if your destination is more than 15 minutes (or whatever minutes) away, then you will warm the battery by using it. The model 3 "preconditioning" does nothing but waste energy into the motor. It does not have a battery heater like the S.

So maybe just turn up the A/C or the heat to max, or drive inefficiently.

You miss the point - if your destination is more than 15 minutes (or whatever minutes) away, then you will warm the battery by using it. The model 3 "preconditioning" does nothing but waste energy into the motor. It does not have a battery heater like the S.

You realize that wasting energy into the motor is heating the battery, right? The coolant loop pulls the heat created by the wasted energy into the cooling system and transfers it into the battery cells. The end result is the same as the dedicated battery heater.

I also think you're misunderstanding my comment. If the Supercharger I wish to use is at a service center that's 10 miles away but not shown on the navigation map, there is no way to precondition by navigating to the nonexistent map pin. If I instead navigate to a Supercharger that's 40 miles away, it isn't going to precondition until I get close to that Supercharger, which does me no good if I'm trying to warm up the battery to visit the Supercharger at the service center.

That's one big waste of energy for something that modestly improves driving behavior. You're spending more energy getting the pack up to temperature than you're going to get from the additional regen that it provides.

I’m not terribly concerned about the additional energy recapture, or efficacy, just the consistent driving experience and full power from the start. The car used to be kinda slow with a cold battery, but oddly enough they massively improved that in 36.2.1, so it’s not so bad now. It’s still limited on power for sure with a cold battery, but it’s mostly OK. The trouble is it warms up effectively at the end of my commute, so when I no longer care it’s ready to go.

That's odd. I wonder if they did that on purpose to encourage folks to visit the one down at the Meijer on Marburg Ave. Or more likely just a glitch. I have to head down to northern KY later in the week, I'll swing by there on my way home to see if mine experiences the same problem.
I'd love to have the feature to manually turn on preconditioning though. Oftentimes in cold weather I'm driving to an L2 3rd party charger and the car has no idea that you are headed there. It's not as big a deal as supercharging, but if the car is cold soaked, it can still take up to 15-20 minutes of wasted time at the charger to warm up the battery.

No there is not. And there is no need for you to be concerned about it; the Tesla software will decide if it’s necessary or not when it is navigating to a Supercharger.

Except you missed the first part (emphasis mine):
However, the Cincinnati/Blue Ash Tesla Dealership removed their superchargers from the list and the vehicle does not precondition as a result.

That's odd. I wonder if they did that on purpose to encourage folks to visit the one down at the Meijer on Marburg Ave. Or more likely just a glitch. I have to head down to northern KY later in the week, I'll swing by there on my way home to see if mine experiences the same problem.
I'd love to have the feature to manually turn on preconditioning though. Oftentimes in cold weather I'm driving to an L2 3rd party charger and the car has no idea that you are headed there. It's not as big a deal as supercharging, but if the car is cold soaked, it can still take up to 15-20 minutes of wasted time at the charger to warm up the battery.
the explanation i received was that it's the older tech and has been having problems maintaining speeds/current, so they (Tesla) removed it as a destination.

personally I'd rather go hang out at MadTree but I was down to 10% after a long day and needed a top off.

Reactions: Chisale
the explanation i received was that it's the older tech and has been having problems maintaining speeds/current, so they (Tesla) removed it as a destination.

personally I'd rather go hang out at MadTree but I was down to 10% after a long day and needed a top off.

Sounds reasonable. That is a busy SC since they usually have at least 3 or 4 of the dealership cars charging if not more during office hours. By the way, I like your profile pic. I was just showing the car off this weekend to a friend and he asked what that button inside the frunk does. And I responded that's it's an emergency exit in case somebody got locked in there. Of course, he gave me a funny look and said "who could get locked in there." Well, there's your answer. LOL.
Maybe I'll see you at MadTree sometime. Great place.

No there is not. And there is no need for you to be concerned about it; the Tesla software will decide if it’s necessary or not when it is navigating to a Supercharger.
My problem with all this is that the car has no idea what I want to do or where I want to stop. Automation is really unhelpful. Just a big button saying ‘Warm the battery’ please.

There’s lots of space if they get rid or the pointless picture of a car in the road. That has to be the most pointless waste of screen real estate ever invented.

Well, that's a necro :)

Back when this thread was posted, there was no waypoints/multi-point route options. Now, there is.

If you put a Supercharger in the route, it'll precondition for it even if it's not the "next" stop. So my trick to get preconditioning enabled is:
1) enter your destination
2) "edit trip"
3) add a Supercharger to the end of the trip (after your destination) - preferably one nearby, but doesn't matter which, as long as it shows up as a red pin

Voila! Now your navigation to the intended destination will have Supercharger conditioning. For SC conditioning to have a reasonable effect (keeping in mind... it does consume a fairly substantial amount of energy, so there's a tradeoff to consider), you'd have to run it 20-30 minutes.