Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map/Nav Routing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I'll add this to the "firmware wishlist thread" as well, but it would be useful if the maps/nav routing system in the car were able to route on optional parameters, specifically distance (and perhaps speed and/or elevation changes).

Case in point: On Saturday I had a meeting about 50 miles away, and engagement about 70 miles from there, and then another 67 mile leg home. The route was in essence a 185 mile triangle. There's one significant elevation change as well (going over a 3,000' mountain).

I range charged to about 250 miles before I left, and had pre-conditioned the car with HVAC on.

With the weather being in the high 20's when I started out, I was consuming in the 400's w/mi even in range mode. I burned ~75 miles of range for the first 50 mile leg. The second leg burned another 95 or so for the second leg, for a total of about 165.

As that left me with only 95 miles or so for the remaining 65 mile trip home, I figured I'd be cutting it close, but should be ok. Nontheless the host at our dinner offered for me to plug in (and wanted a tour of the car), so I did, not only to add few miles, but also to keep the pack warm. When we left we had about 104 miles on the pack.

Here's where the routing system attempted to screw me up. As I was monitoring this carefully, I had looked up the route home on my phone with Google maps... and it gave me the route with a distance of 67 miles. My host confirmed that was the best route.

However, when in the car, the console Google Map suggested a different route (one primarily sticking to interstates) that would have been closer to 90 miles. Fortunately I realized this and altered my direction so that it ultimately re-routed the way I wanted to go. But had I not (I was unfamiliar with the area as it was), between the additional distance, and interstate speed, I doubt I would have made it home.

Although not always fastest, typically the best route for energy consumption is the shortest distance between two points not only because of the decreased distance, but in many times the local roads/highways have slower limits than the freeways and interstates. I'd like to see that added as a selectable routing priority for the car.

Elon mentioned that improvements to nav were coming in a Germany speech I believe. Nav will take into account environment variables.

I've never seen the nav change the route unless the car didn't follow the route intended first. I wonder if you travelled this route again would it do the same thing or was there new construction that the maps didn't know about? Like a new overpass or intersection moved?

Elon mentioned that improvements to nav were coming in a Germany speech I believe. Nav will take into account environment variables.

I've never seen the nav change the route unless the car didn't follow the route intended first. I wonder if you travelled this route again would it do the same thing or was there new construction that the maps didn't know about? Like a new overpass or intersection moved?

Yes, that's what I meant... I specifically turned a different direction I wanted to go, and that forced the in-car nav to re-route.

You are right, Elon did mention some routing improvements... I hope this is amongst them... thanks.

What I really want is for the Nav system to take traffic into consideration.

The navigation is nearly useless in Los Angeles traffic. For example, it'll me to get on freeway, even though the display is showing solid red lines (or red & black lines!) for the entire route (and I know from experience getting on the freeway would be the worst possible thing to do). I've started using Waze on my iPhone and just resting my phone against the touchscreen. Sigh.

I'll add this to the "firmware wishlist thread" as well, but it would be useful if the maps/nav routing system in the car were able to route on optional parameters, specifically distance (and perhaps speed and/or elevation changes).

Case in point: On Saturday I had a meeting about 50 miles away, and engagement about 70 miles from there, and then another 67 mile leg home. The route was in essence a 185 mile triangle. There's one significant elevation change as well (going over a 3,000' mountain).

I range charged to about 250 miles before I left, and had pre-conditioned the car with HVAC on.

With the weather being in the high 20's when I started out, I was consuming in the 400's w/mi even in range mode. I burned ~75 miles of range for the first 50 mile leg. The second leg burned another 95 or so for the second leg, for a total of about 165.

As that left me with only 95 miles or so for the remaining 65 mile trip home, I figured I'd be cutting it close, but should be ok. Nontheless the host at our dinner offered for me to plug in (and wanted a tour of the car), so I did, not only to add few miles, but also to keep the pack warm. When we left we had about 104 miles on the pack.

Here's where the routing system attempted to screw me up. As I was monitoring this carefully, I had looked up the route home on my phone with Google maps... and it gave me the route with a distance of 67 miles. My host confirmed that was the best route.

However, when in the car, the console Google Map suggested a different route (one primarily sticking to interstates) that would have been closer to 90 miles. Fortunately I realized this and altered my direction so that it ultimately re-routed the way I wanted to go. But had I not (I was unfamiliar with the area as it was), between the additional distance, and interstate speed, I doubt I would have made it home.

Although not always fastest, typically the best route for energy consumption is the shortest distance between two points not only because of the decreased distance, but in many times the local roads/highways have slower limits than the freeways and interstates. I'd like to see that added as a selectable routing priority for the car.
I had the exact opposite result from the Nav routing. Was at the Buelton, CA SC and wanted to go to Santa Barbara. The Nav system routed me using Hwy 154 over the mountains, with a distance of 38 miles. The more obvious, and faster route, would be to use Hwy 101, which is 43 miles. Easily a 15-30 minute difference.

I had the exact opposite result from the Nav routing. Was at the Buelton, CA SC and wanted to go to Santa Barbara. The Nav system routed me using Hwy 154 over the mountains, with a distance of 38 miles. The more obvious, and faster route, would be to use Hwy 101, which is 43 miles. Easily a 15-30 minute difference.

Yeah, good example of why there needs to be selectable routing parameters...

It may be me, but there appears presently not to be a way to show how to get from Point B to Point C....when you are at Point A. Surely that cannot be complicated navigation...or asking too much?

Perhaps the nav knows that the drive on 154 is much more fun! ;)

It may be me, but there appears presently not to be a way to show how to get from Point B to Point C....when you are at Point A. Surely that cannot be complicated navigation...or asking too much?

Yup... no way I am aware of. Similar to many in-car nav systems... but I'd expect the center console system to allow flexibility more along the lines of what you can get with a mobile Google Maps session. Arbitrary points, Waze integration, priority routing, etc...

I find that navigation systems think we all like to drive on freeways. I have fought this a lot in the past. The one that always perplexes me going from the Bay Area to say Death Valley or Las Vegas the best way is to go over the Tehachapi pass. But these silly navigation systems actually send you through LA.

Yeah "avoid toll roads" is another option many in-car systems has.

I suspect the tendency to prefer freeways over other routes would be largely addressed by the ability route based on distance rather than time.

If the center console would operate similar to the Android mobile google maps app and offer 3 routes based on differing priorities and allow you to choose, that might be close to ideal. And then let you drag to change the rout lines to fine tune would be even better.

Prior to owning a Model S I used a Garmin (until it broke) then TomTom on my iPhone, which has options for fastest, shortest, no toll etc, and the built-in nav on my ex-Infiniti. This past weekend I used the Model S navigation to go to a school 60k away that I wasn't familiar with, and it took me neither the fastest nor shortest, but the road also was the most fun. So since seeing this thread, I'll be much more careful when we actually go on longer trips, and double-check route plans with TomTom.

I am confident Tesla's navigation will get better over time. Certainly no other product is perfect - we've been led astray on many occasions by all three of the different nav products we've used, sometimes telling us to go down what looks like a dirt path that the product thinks is a significant road. And keeping these things updated with road changes is no easy matter. So I have patience and will keep GPS navigation as only one of the tools in use.

I don't think that is the exact issue. They probably assume you can drive faster on the freeway than highways whereas they don't realize in my example that if you drive through LA, you may hit horrendous traffic once you get there. But the navigation may not know that when it sends you there as there is no traffic there at the time.

I suspect the tendency to prefer freeways over other routes would be largely addressed by the ability route based on distance rather than time.

Doesn't appear to be a "learning" system. If I navigate home and leave it on past where I need it, it tries to take me home via a very circuitous route. I ignore it, and it FINALLY (as in, I'm a block from home) reroutes to the "logical" (and shortest) route, but every time I use the system in this manner, it happens again.

While the ability to select the kind of roads would be nice for starters I want the ability to enter multiple waypoints. For example I know what exit I want to take because I know more about the roads than the GPS. Primarily I enter the route in GPS as a checklist. Anytime I want to know ETA it is right there for reference.

Perhaps its currently too much to make the route editable on the 17" touch screen. Then I'd like the car to sync with my Google account and let me compose routes on a standard computer.

They still seem have GPS Mapping issues. today (from Hawaii) my map console showed me in the middle of Northern Territory Australia at an elevation of 1391.91 feet.
IMAG0191crop.jpg

and then corrected itself
MLK_Drive1.png

Was I the first Tesla in Australia?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
While the ability to select the kind of roads would be nice for starters I want the ability to enter multiple waypoints. For example I know what exit I want to take because I know more about the roads than the GPS. Primarily I enter the route in GPS as a checklist. Anytime I want to know ETA it is right there for reference.

Perhaps its currently too much to make the route editable on the 17" touch screen. Then I'd like the car to sync with my Google account and let me compose routes on a standard computer.

I think the "drag the route line" method that that is present on the desktop google maps would be an easy-to-use GUI on the 17", provided it has the horsepower to do it (which I suspect it should).

As a distant second method, my Toyota NAV has the ability to enter a new destination, and either replace the current destination or insert it as a point along the way. If I already have mutiple waypoints, it allows me to choose where in the list to insert it. While it's hard to select a specific exit to use (as in your scenario), you can ultimately achieve that result by selecting a waypoint immediately after your chosen exit. Clumsier than preferred method above, but if that can me done on my 6" low-power 2006 vintage unit...