Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Don't understand why the map updates seem to follow the same bizarre sequence as whole car firmware updates. If a car is connected to wifi and it sees a new map version it should download it. They shouldn't have to "roll it out" slowly.

It's for bandwidth reasons. By performing a slower roll out they save on bandwidth. It makes it so they can have a smaller IT infrastructure. If everyone downloaded it at the same time they would need a lot of hardware to handle it, and it is such a rare occurrence that most of the hardware would be sitting idle. It also helps with costs for other things like electricity consumption.

It's for bandwidth reasons. By performing a slower roll out they save on bandwidth. It makes it so they can have a smaller IT infrastructure. If everyone downloaded it at the same time they would need a lot of hardware to handle it, and it is such a rare occurrence that most of the hardware would be sitting idle. It also helps with costs for other things like electricity consumption.

Fair enough, but we're only talking a few hundred Gigs at most for the entire population. I have to think there's something else contributing to the way maps are being rolled out.

My fiance's Model S received the update the other day (evening of the 1st). Snapped this pic:

2014-11-01 19.24.19_cropped.jpg

My Tesla nav has been doing something bizarre lately, with the latest 6.0 software. An address I occasionally visit is 3165 Sawtelle Blvd in Los Angeles, but every time I punch this exact address into the nav, it reroutes me to 2199 Sawtelle Blvd, a mile away. (There is nothing at the 2199 location.) The odd thing is that every other address on the 3100 block works correctly! Can you think of anything that could possibly cause this? Does this particular address (3165 Sawtelle) work properly in your nav? Punch it in, then scroll to the end of the turn-by-turn directions to see where it takes you...

My Tesla nav has been doing something bizarre lately, with the latest 6.0 software. An address I occasionally visit is 3165 Sawtelle Blvd in Los Angeles, but every time I punch this exact address into the nav, it reroutes me to 2199 Sawtelle Blvd, a mile away. (There is nothing at the 2199 location.) The odd thing is that every other address on the 3100 block works correctly! Can you think of anything that could possibly cause this? Does this particular address (3165 Sawtelle) work properly in your nav? Punch it in, then scroll to the end of the turn-by-turn directions to see where it takes you...

The only time I saw something like that (nav taking me to somewhere far from the real destination) was when part of the destination road had been renamed and renumbered, but the nav system didn't have that update.

BUT, I often find that the nav system will randomly change the destination I enter. I can say something like "navigate to 1234 Main Street", it will hear that right and give me 1234 Main Street as the first choice, I pick it, and then as I'm getting near the destination, I'll see it's taking me to 1241 Main Street, or something like that. And if the destination it chooses is on the other side of the road, the directions might be wrong. I've even had it take me to a different nearby street. It seems like it takes the destination I pick, converts it to GPS coordinates, and then looks up what address it thinks is at those coordinates, often ending up with a different address. Very annoying.

I had something similar in the Toronto area. I would put in an address and it would show the checkered flag pin in the right spot, but would route me to a different destination.

I've seen this exact behavior several times (with different addresses for me). The last time it happened, I decided to document the behavior, and then it suddenly started giving me the correct directions.

I think it is a major bug.

It appears the locations are being searched using data from Google - which may be providing GPS coordinates of the location to the navigation software. So if there was an error with the location determined for a specific address, that could be fixed by updating the online Google map data without requiring updating the onboard navigation map data - which appears to be used for determining the route and displaying the maps on the dashboard.

It's great the console maps are driven by online Google data - which is updated frequently - and may only be a few days or weeks out of date.

But it's confusing to have the navigation system locked into map data that is updated very infrequently (just got my first "annual" map update) and is probably at least a year out of date by the time we get the update.

Hopefully Tesla will shift navigation to using online data (when it's available) and fix this confusion.

It appears the locations are being searched using data from Google - which may be providing GPS coordinates of the location to the navigation software. So if there was an error with the location determined for a specific address, that could be fixed by updating the online Google map data without requiring updating the onboard navigation map data - which appears to be used for determining the route and displaying the maps on the dashboard.

Google Maps online has always shown the address correctly. Only the Tesla Nav gets confused by it. Could you do me a favor and check the problematic address (3165 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles) on your Tesla Nav and see if it directs you to the correct place? I wonder if it's something with just my car.

It isn't something just with your car since I've had the same thing done on my car with several different addresses. And then after fiddling with it, selecting close by addresses, and I go back to the problematic address, it magically routes me to the correct place. That's why I called it a major bug.

I'm moving into a new house next month - and noticed yesterday that the navigation software placed the flag at the correct location of the house (using the address) but the blue line stopped at the end of the block and didn't continue on the street to the flag.

It's also interesting that the estimated time to reach destination appears to add 5 to 6 minutes to the time - with .6 miles to go, the nav software was saying it was going to take 6 minutes!

Sent a "bug report" on both.