Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have the latest 6.0 and as far as I know no map updates. Do you get notification on the map update and if so what does it look like. I noticed last week that the Google satellite shows a more recent picture of the area near our house taken sometime between June and September.

The need for large map updates seems strange in an always connected vehicle. It seems like when a road is built or changed, some master map should be updated, and the difference just be sent to everyone. One small packet of data for something that can't possibly occur more frequently than is possible to update.

Or the car when powered on just asks a server, "Hey, I have a map that is good up to 2014-10-28 10:16:13, anything change since then?" and get whatever changed.

Just a thought anyway...

The need for large map updates seems strange in an always connected vehicle. It seems like when a road is built or changed, some master map should be updated, and the difference just be sent to everyone. One small packet of data for something that can't possibly occur more frequently than is possible to update.

Or the car when powered on just asks a server, "Hey, I have a map that is good up to 2014-10-28 10:16:13, anything change since then?" and get whatever changed.

Just a thought anyway...
That would be awesome. Navigon (Garmin) is the underlying data provider for the Nav maps, and they only update quarterly. :(

I got my map update Friday afternoon, after requesting it during my annual service on Wednesday. My understanding is that the service center can't do it directly, but they can send a request to engineering on my behalf, and then they don't know exactly when it'll happen after that. The funny part is the service advisor had just finished explaining this to me on the phone, and then I saw the update when I got into my car less than 10 minutes later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1414872395.318887.jpg
Just one of several locations where nav didn't know the correct roads today. Captured this one, since I was stopped.

Still waiting for the map update... I'm in a new housing development and many of the roads that have been added in the last 2 years are on Google maps but the navigation software doesn't have them, so most routes to/from the house can't take advantage of the new roads - and when I'm driving those roads while navigation is running, the software keeps re-routing to the nearest road until I'm back onto a road in the map database.

Tesla should either shift to using a continuously updated database, such as Google maps, OR at least plan to distribute map updates more frequently (quarterly).

And why is it taking so long to distribute the updates? I received my P85 in January 2013 - and I'm still waiting for my first promised "annual" map update...

Release notes say map updates are only available with wi-fi. My S is not routinely connected to wi-fi when I'm parked at home. Does anyone know if Tesla sends a notification that a map update is available? If I got notice I could go park at a wi-fi location for the download.

Release notes say map updates are only available with wi-fi. My S is not routinely connected to wi-fi when I'm parked at home. Does anyone know if Tesla sends a notification that a map update is available? If I got notice I could go park at a wi-fi location for the download.

It doesn't appear so. In any event, mine is connected to Wifi every night and nothing yet.