Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps went Blank today - Atlanta Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't bother to check if Waze was working then or not. Too bad as I'm curious to know since Google owns them now. Would be good to know for the future.
Ever since Google bought Waze, Waze has begun to experience some of the same problems that Google does to stuff. Things Waze used to do well (including some that Google did poorly) are now done more like the Google way, and they fail more often. A few things done the Google way that are actually better than the Waze way are working better. But, and here's the key thing, they are still different enough that very very very very often when one fails, the other does not. I have two phones and run both Google and Waze, and they still both behave very differently. Not as differently as before Google bought Waze, but definitely still differently. I'd say 50% as different as before. And still well worth running both when one has multiple devices mounted on the dash, as I do. So, in effect, this makes the answer to your question more complicated, not less, and the curiosity is still pertinent, but tied up in all sorts of nuances that no one probably will ever know or care about enough before any nuance transforms again. But the simple answer is that when one fails to work, usually the other will work. FYI, both recent iPhones (one with new T-Mobile LTE band 12 support & one with Verizon (both bought as unlocked "Verizon" models in which I inserted T-Mobile SIM cards at first (I refuse to ever use AT&T and always want options)), and I'll hotspot from one to the other if I am only getting signal on one; usually Verizon better, but sometimes T-Mobile's new band 12 is superior, in all honesty, as of starting the last half year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Skipdd
Ever since Google bought Waze, Waze has begun to experience some of the same problems that Google does to stuff. Things Waze used to do well (including some that Google did poorly) are now done more like the Google way, and they fail more often. A few things done the Google way that are actually better than the Waze way are working better. But, and here's the key thing, they are still different enough that very very very very often when one fails, the other does not. I have two phones and run both Google and Waze, and they still both behave very differently. Not as differently as before Google bought Waze, but definitely still differently. I'd say 50% as different as before. And still well worth running both when one has multiple devices mounted on the dash, as I do. So, in effect, this makes the answer to your question more complicated, not less, and the curiosity is still pertinent, but tied up in all sorts of nuances that no one probably will ever know or care about enough before any nuance transforms again. But the simple answer is that when one fails to work, usually the other will work. FYI, both recent iPhones (one with new T-Mobile LTE band 12 support & one with Verizon (both bought as unlocked "Verizon" models in which I inserted T-Mobile SIM cards at first (I refuse to ever use AT&T and always want options)), and I'll hotspot from one to the other if I am only getting signal on one; usually Verizon better, but sometimes T-Mobile's new band 12 is superior, in all honesty, as of starting the last half year).
Ulmo, thank you for the detailed information. Very helpful.

This afternoon when traveling from Cobb county to me residence in North Georgia, the maps stopped updating. Navigation however continued to work. Just no Google maps on the 17 inch screen. I submitted a bug report followed by a reboot of the screen. Nothing for the next couple of hours. The maps were still non-existent when I arrived home about 6:30 PM. Anyone else experience this today?

My suspicion was that AT&T was having issues. However, I could stream Tunein without any problems.

Mark
Not sure when it started working but the next morning everything was working well.