Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's called "Enlightened self interest."
If you truly want the situation for yourself to be improved, then it must be improved for all."
This appears to be understood by relatively few of the very wealthy.

For me it is simple gratitude for the country I was gifted and a desire to pass along this rather unique place to those that follow me.

This can't be 'good' for the markets ST:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....

9:08 AM - 5 May 2019

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....

Ya. China will be forced to retaliate to save face and the next step will be to try and get them back to negotiate. I don't see this getting resolved until election is over.

• Disagree
Reactions: Navin
The problem is - politicians have approached the problem very badly. They basically said we will make some small regulatory changes and the market will take care of this. So, naturally when "market takes care" of something a group of people lose and another win. This is a sure way to make big enemies. We see this with yellow vest protests in France too. We need robust policies to help people who lose out due to the needed changes - then we'll have fewer obstructionists.

Bolded, a key feature of the Green New Deal. Also, misconstrued by its critics. "Well, it introduces so many extraneous issues." Bull sugar.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
  • Informative

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but someone really needs to point out that China hasn't paid anything to the US for tariffs. They get added to the price the US people pay for their goods.

The US Constitution mandates that revenue raising bills originate in the House of Representatives. That would include tariffs. During World War I, Congress ceded that responsibility regarding tariffs to President Wilson. That has never been rescinded.

Potential tariffs should first be researched and debated in congressional committees. Testimony should be taken from businesses, consumers and economists. Allowing tariffs to be suddenly implemented by the whims of a single person must have the writers of the Constitution rolling in their graves.

The US Constitution mandates that revenue raising bills originate in the House of Representatives. That would include tariffs. During World War I, Congress ceded that responsibility regarding tariffs to President Wilson. That has never been rescinded.

Potential tariffs should first be researched and debated in congressional committees. Testimony should be taken from businesses, consumers and economists. Allowing tariffs to be suddenly implemented by the whims of a single person must have the writers of the Constitution rolling in their graves.
Trump doesn't understand tariffs.
Trump massively raises tariffs against China at the expense of the U.S. consumer

Ya. China will be forced to retaliate to save face and the next step will be to try and get them back to negotiate. I don't see this getting resolved until election is over.

Sooooo, China pays Tarrifs to the USA. I mean it sounds like a sweet deal but how did you guys talk them into that. I think someone must have a picture of someone with a goat.

Just sayin.

• Disagree

The actual revenue from Tariffs is a tiny fraction of the US budget. During the last fiscal year, the US brought in $7 billion more in tariffs, which sounds like a lot until you realize that the Treasury brought in $3.3 trillion.

Tariffs are another 19th century solution to a 21st century problem. And of course as @ggr pointed out, the Chinese aren't paying the tariffs, US consumers are.

The power to raise tariffs given to the president was actually narrow cast to only be for national security reasons. The idea being that if the president identified some industry that was critical to military production, like steel making, the president could raise tariffs on that product to protect the domestic production.

As usual, Trump is going way beyond the powers granted him by law and the Constitution, but he just ignores the law.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but someone really needs to point out that China hasn't paid anything to the US for tariffs. They get added to the price the US people pay for their goods.

Indeed, that is the actual effect. Yet Trump tries to sell it to the US electorate as though he has been getting something for them. Even more disturbingly, his self proclaimed negotiating skills do not appear too effective with leaders in the Far East who are trying to prove to their constituencies that they are overcoming the scars left by the era of western imperialism.

With all respect @Curt Renz , tariffs are the least of the reasons the founders of the U.S. have in this time to be rolling in their graves.

There is talk in Congress of rescinding it at the moment. Nothing will happen as long as Trump's boot-licking lackeys have a blocking vote in the Senate, but the moment they don't...

The House would probably rescind it by a 2/3 majority right now. The Senate would probably also rescind it but not by a 2/3 majority. (Abolish the Senate! #abolishthesenate )

Yeah. I actually support intelligently targeted tariffs. But Trump doesn't understand tariffs at all, so he's doing them completely and utterly wrong and he's just hurting the US.

The retaliatory tariffs from Canada, Mexico, the EU, and China were all *exquisitely* well targeted, to help their domestic industries while hurting *Trump-voting* parts of the US (and not Democratic-voting parts!).

Trump's tariffs, by contrast, are idiotic and only hurt the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.