Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More significantly
Regina Romero becomes first Latina to serve as Tucson's mayor

Romero, the director of Latino engagement for the Center for Biological Diversity, was one of four Democrats elected Tuesday night to the Tucson City Council.
All three council candidates had significant leads over their Republican and Green Party rivals, with an unknown number of ballots still to be counted.

Good grief! ARPANET was indeed a huge project at the time. All the primary components of the internet came from very large government projects. Those who argue otherwise are mostly ignorant of government procurement practices (almost all governments, in fact). They regularly establish overall projects and fund tiny pieces one at a time.

So, depending on whether you view the overall project or only a given subcontract gives you wildly different views:
So, IP, mouse, domain names, telecomm form T1 to Giga-speeds, etc, every single one was a tiny piece attached to a huge project.

As for funding after initial development you need only look at geophysics, oil depletion allowances, military security for oilfields, development and buildout of the internet, the GPS system (Glonass too, actually). Those have gigantic government subsidies to promote private sector profits. Then consider carried interest, and MACRS.

One of the monumental logical failings of those who oppose BEV adoption subsidies and government support of buildout for charging infrastructure totally ignore all the subsidies devoted to other subjects.

I suggest anybody who disagrees with the foregoing might do some modest investigation of how much government subsidy is devoted to building and supporting sports stadiums in the US. Once someone does that they'll find out that BEV direct subsidies and free public charging country wide all together will actually be LESS than the commercial sports subsidies.

I am not necessarily arguing against the commercial sports subsidies. I do argue that BEV support is far more of a benefit to the populace than are the sports, which could be self-funded anyway.

ARPANET was not "huge" by historical standards. It was groundbreaking, yes, but the amount of $$$ invested by historical standards was still small for a government project (55-107k per node at the time, 29 nodes - Cybertelecom :: ARPANET 1970s), and FAR FAR FAR less than the research by private entities to take that from the slow initial speeds to the 100Gbs and faster speeds that are in production today.

I stand by the comment that RELATIVE costs of public vs. private were still SMALL for Gov and LARGE for private for this. Hell, even by 1970s standards, the cost of this was less than a single destroyer, etc.

Cisco? Nearly zero. They built and developed the core infrastructure for the internet as we know it. Other competitors saw the market Cisco was creating and joined in (Juniper, etc.). Pretty much the only thing they didn't develop was Ethernet and the IP protocol, but those were things that were "evolutionary" and them or something like them would have been developed because of the market forces at play.

It's also a good example of the private sector succeeding where government failed. Anyone remember the OSI Model? Not just the 7 layer framework? It actually had a full set of protocols to compete against TCP/IP. Which, of course, failed in the marketplace.

It's also a good example of the private sector succeeding where government failed. Anyone remember OSI Model? Not just the 7 layer framework? It actually had a full set of protocols to compete against TCP/IP.

I've been involved in some similar projects on the molecular biology side. The NIH funded the "discovery" phase of the work, and then private companies funded the subsequent development. The grants from the private sector were always orders of magnitude larger than the NIH grants.

Although battery technology and solar technology, for example, are still to be improved for cost efficiency, the situation now is not that much a question of sponsoring technical advancements, anymore.

Our dependence on oil is now more like the whole country being addicted to opioid pain relievers.

Climate change denial is largely a result of dishonest campaigning, sponsoring and lobbying by the "private sector", most forms of which should be considered anti-competitive behavior or perhaps even fraud.

But the voters wanted Democrats not Republicans. You're micro focusing on a single piece of legislation and hiding from the more significant trend which will have much greater long term influence.

I don't know what the specific language of the sanctuary city initiative was. I have seen initiatives go down to defeat when the public supports the idea because the initiative itself was bad. Here is an article about the initiative from before the election:
Prop. 205 won't give immigrants any real sanctuary. But it would sabotage Tucson

When people are forced into a yes/no answer about a complex question, the results can be interpreted many ways.

From it's passage into the Trump administration polls showed the ACA was not popular. Only a few polls asked follow up questions about why it wasn't popular. Most just asked people if they supported it or not. Republicans assumed that everyone who didn't like it wanted it repealed, but I had been delving deeper into the polls that asked more questions and it was pretty obvious to me that somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those who didn't approve of the ACA thought it didn't go far enough. When the Republicans tried to repeal it they found out the hard way that support for just getting rid of it was weak.

To know why the sanctuary city initiative went down to defeat in Tucson, somebody would have to ask a number of questions about why. Maybe the people of Tucson oppose the idea of being a sanctuary city, or maybe the reason is more complex including a lot of the factors in the article I posted? Considering that the city also elected a number of Democrats, the answer is not completely clear.

Reactions: JRP3
I've been involved in some similar projects on the molecular biology side. The NIH funded the "discovery" phase of the work, and then private companies funded the subsequent development. The grants from the private sector were always orders of magnitude larger than the NIH grants.
Care to name any? Which institutes and PI’s? Did you deal with TT?

That's from my own post above. I should add that this is a reference to a quote from Bush in his 2006 State of the Union speech:

"America is addicted to oil"

It is. But most car and truck buyers would switch tomorrow if you can make a business case for switching. That doesn't sound like an addiction. For a long time now, oil and gasoline has been the best bang for the buck for most travel needs. EVs are going to change that with or without subsidies and you'll see even the most strident F-150-driving, coal-rolling, gas-loving switch over.

Why would anyone keep a gas/truck car if EVs are shown to be half the cost to buy, half the cost to operate, and half the cost to maintain?

This has worked for almost every disruptive technology to date.

Reactions: bkp_duke
It is. But most car and truck buyers would switch tomorrow if you can make a business case for switching. That doesn't sound like an addiction. For a long time now, oil and gasoline has been the best bang for the buck for most travel needs. EVs are going to change that with or without subsidies and you'll see even the most strident F-150-driving, coal-rolling, gas-loving switch over.

Why would anyone keep a gas/truck car if EVs are shown to be half the cost to buy, half the cost to operate, and half the cost to maintain?

We are now around 2% EV sales (not fleet). If there wasn't an addiction, we might have been at that stage 10 years ago. Or 20.
And it started changing because of those thinking more like Bush and Obama, not because of those thinking like Trump or you.

Solar doesn't do that well either. These things happen at the speed of a snail instead of right away.

Current defense of Trump - Too dumb to execute abuse of power.

Joyce Alene on Twitter

"It was incoherent," Sen @LindseyGrahamSC says of Trump's Ukraine policy. "They seem to be *incapable* of forming a quid pro quo."​

The counter argument to this is anyone who is too dumb to understand they are abusing power is also too dumb to be president.

The more expensive the technology, the more difficult it is to disrupt the status quo because of momentum. Cars are one of the most expensive things people own. For most it's the most expensive or second most expensive thing they own.

People also sometimes go for inferior or more expensive tech for irrational reasons. Pickups are very popular in the US, but the majority of Americans would be fine most of the time with a cheaper to run car. There are people who need them for work, or have other reasons to have one, but there are a vast number of trucks running around with empty beds and not towing anything (ie being used as passenger cars).

Human behavior is sometimes rational, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.