Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Mr. Obama did not attempt to kill fracking. Mr Obama appointed Colorado Senator Ken Salazar to head the Department of Interior where he helped the Obama Administration advance fracking across the rest of the country as he did in Colorado. Thus Mr. Obama stepped on the Fracking gas pedal despite having the House and Senate behind him his first 2 years on office. Sad but true.

Fair point. His actions didn't match his rhetoric. But he certainly didn't embrace it.

Obama Fracking Rule Is Struck Down by Court

Too expensive and too slow to build, even ignoring the other problems.

Possibly. But if we really have a catastrophe coming, I wouldn't want to ignore any possible solution.

I think this is the biggest problem in politics today. Too often, we choose solutions based on party affiliation or what is perceived to please a certain audience instead of doing what is practical or what will work.

That is why I keep using Silicon Valley as an example of how to get things done. 95% of people here are liberals but very rarely do politics or partisanship ideas come into play when trying to solve a problem.

Many try to put me into the Trump camp because of this line of thinking but I don't agree with all of his policies blindly like the MAGA crowd might or hate his policies like liberals do.

• Love
Reactions: ccook and bkp_duke
Possibly. But if we really have a catastrophe coming, I wouldn't want to ignore any possible solution.
You definitely want to ignore anything which has no possibility of achieving anything in the needed time frame, i.e. before the catastrophe. That diverts energy, resources, time, and money away from actions which would make a difference. I've always objected to the "try everything" approach, that's how we've wasted billions on fuel cells, which would have been better spent on EV and batteries.

You definitely want to ignore anything which has no possibility of achieving anything in the needed time frame, i.e. before the catastrophe. That diverts energy, resources, time, and money away from actions which would make a difference. I've always objected to the "try everything" approach, that's how we've wasted billions on fuel cells, which would have been better spent on EV and batteries.

This is a terrible way of thinking. How do you know your way is the only way and the best way? That's an opinion of yours and maybe many others. France has shown nuclear (older than Gen4) to work very well. You can't rule it out completely. Solar, wind, and other renewables are definitely important but how certain are you that it will be enough? Most of the hard work on Gen4 has been done.

Your example of fuel cells explains this line of thinking. Fuel cells and EVs got similar investment but EVs won because of the execution by Elon Musk. Without him, would it have won the war? Again, a good VC spreads his investments around to ensure success. Only politicians speak in absolutes.

Reactions: bkp_duke
This is a terrible way of thinking. How do you know your way is the only way and the best way? That's an opinion of yours and maybe many others. France has shown nuclear (older than Gen4) to work very well. You can't rule it out completely. Solar, wind, and other renewables are definitely important but how certain are you that it will be enough? Most of the hard work on Gen4 has been done.

Your example of fuel cells explains this line of thinking. Fuel cells and EVs got similar investment but EVs won because of the execution by Elon Musk. Without him, would it have won the war? Again, a good VC spreads his investments around to ensure success. Only politicians speak in absolutes.
Elon speaks in absolutes, because he works from first principles. Fuel cells never made sense from a basic physics standpoint, (as Elon knew), no amount of research or funding would change that. Same with nuclear, it can't scale quickly enough and cost effectively enough to work in time.

It's no where near Moore's law because it's completely wrong. That graph is nonsense.

Here's another one.

A Behind the Scenes Take on Lithium-ion Battery Prices | BloombergNEF

There are plenty out there. If you don't think the declining prices and increased range of EVs over the last 10 years is the single most important factor in the success of EVS, you're missing something. Elon Musk's only goal is to reduce the price of EVs to bring it to the masses. Roadster->S/X->3 transition was all about lowering costs and increasing volumes.

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 33
Elon speaks in absolutes, because he works from first principles. Fuel cells never made sense from a basic physics standpoint, (as Elon knew), no amount of research or funding would change that. Same with nuclear, it can't scale quickly enough and cost effectively enough to work in time.

And he should. But there are plenty of examples of the best technology failing in the marketplace. As an investor (public or private), I have to place my bets.

Is all of your net worth in TSLA?

Last edited:
If you don't think the declining prices and increased range of EVs over the last 10 years is the single most important factor in the success of EVS, you're missing something.
I'm not missing anything, just telling you that the energy density graph you said "is not too far from Moore's Law" is completely wrong, as you can tell by the minimal improvement in Tesla pack density since the first Model S. When graphs don't reflect reality don't trust the graphs.

Elizabeth Warren wants to meet Bill Gates to discuss her wealth tax.

Elizabeth Warren on Twitter

Personally, I don't see any chance of a wealth tax being passed even with a supermajority in the Senate.

It will require a constitutional amendment and 36 states to agree to it.

Given all her policies depend on it, her policies are not feasible.

Bill Gates replies to Warren:

Bill Gates on Twitter

Again, I don't see how any kind of wealth tax can happen in this country without a constitutional amendment. The income tax required one in 1913.

Bill Gates replies to Warren:

Bill Gates on Twitter

Again, I don't see how any kind of wealth tax can happen in this country without a constitutional amendment. The income tax required one in 1913.

Agreed. That attempt to tax is dead on arrival. Which means the only possible way Medicare-for-All could be paid for is a substantial income tax hike on the middle class. I will try to dig up the reference, but I heard an interesting point today: if you were to confiscate ALL the wealth of the top 1% of the US, it would only cover the cost of Medicare-for-All for just 3 years.

That's just nucking futs expensive.

Agreed. That attempt to tax is dead on arrival. Which means the only possible way Medicare-for-All could be paid for is a substantial income tax hike on the middle class. I will try to dig up the reference, but I heard an interesting point today: if you were to confiscate ALL the wealth of the top 1% of the US, it would only cover the cost of Medicare-for-All for just 3 years.

That's just nucking futs expensive.

Actually, the right way to pay for M4A is a VAT. This is what most European countries do. They've all abandoned the wealth tax because it doesn't work.

Bloomberg reports that "White House plan to roll back China tariffs faces fierce internal opposition. No final decision made yet."

Caused drop at 14:44 PM

That inside "info" is just misinformation to try to get another concession or two out of China. If China has been playing the game right, they held back a couple of concessions so they can feed Donny's egotistical need to feel like he's winning at something. You don't get to where the Chinese leaders are without understanding human nature intimately. My only fear is they have never met anyone like Trump before. ;)

Donny will settle with them before Thanksgiving/Christmas so when American families get together for holiday meals his minions can tell the rest of their family how great Donny is.;)

Reactions: phantasms
Status
Not open for further replies.