Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t tell me what I can or can’t post. It was on topic and there was nothing odd about it - It shows why we have a reality TV clown as President today.
MOD:
The structural make-up of TMC makes it impossible to ban you from posting on only one thread.

As often is the case, Vetinari does not wish to appear a dictator, so he offers you a choice:

You can clean up your postings on the "Political" thread,

OR

You can find yourself under a very long term ban from TMC.

YOU get to choose!

~Vetinari~

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3 and STARR X
MOD:
The structural make-up of TMC makes it impossible to ban you from posting on only one thread.

As often is the case, Vetinari does not wish to appear a dictator, so he offers you a choice:

You can clean up your postings on the "Political" thread,

OR

You can find yourself under a very long term ban from TMC.

YOU get to choose!

~Vetinari~

Be my guest. It appears TMC is not much different from the faux US democracy.

But, the Dems did not invite him, that was Boehner. Some stayed for the event in the leadership, like Pilosi/Schumer, given high support of Dems by Jewish voters.

That is a ridiculous excuse. Under the constitution, Foreign policy is the prerogative of the President. There is no excuse strong enough to usurp that, that too in the interest of a foreign power.

Powers of the president of the United States - Wikipedia

Last edited:
That is a ridiculous excuse. Under the constitution, Foreign policy is the prerogative of the President. There is no excuse strong enough to usurp that, that too in the interest of a foreign power.

Powers of the president of the United States - Wikipedia

The citation refers to fp powers granted by Congress, which appear to be the most flagrantly utilized by the current prez for acts contrary to his oath of office. Besides, it continues an error about ratification of treaties which I corrected for my class the first time I taught it at Pomona College in 1961 based on Elmer Plischke's, The Conduct of American Diplomacy. The Presidents of the United States ratify treaties in their capacity as Chief of State. They cannot do so without a vote of 2/3 minimum in the Senate, although sometimes the Senate has stamped, "Ratified" the formal notice thereof. It is confused, the courts are sometimes confused, and here wikipedia is confused.

The citation refers to fp powers granted by Congress, which appear to be the most flagrantly utilized by the current prez for acts contrary to his oath of office. Besides, it continues an error about ratification of treaties which I corrected for my class the first time I taught it at Pomona College in 1961 based on Elmer Plischke's, The Conduct of American Diplomacy. The Presidents of the United States ratify treaties in their capacity as Chief of State. They cannot do so without a vote of 2/3 minimum in the Senate, although sometimes the Senate has stamped, "Ratified" the formal notice thereof. It is confused, the courts are sometimes confused, and here wikipedia is confused.

Bye Professor. It was nice knowing someone who is willing to debate without throwing shade/the book.

Is this similar to the Declaration of War? It seems the President as usurped this power from Congress since WW2. Or did Congress delegate it to the President?

Both. Through commander in chief role, boots on ground, and dissemination of facts, Johnson's usurpation through Tonkin Gulf resolution is classic.

Worrisome to me now is Russian annexation of Crimea. My immediate thought then was this is how world wars start, hearkening back to Barbara Tuchman's account of WWI start, The Guns of August. A better harbinger are the cyber attacks of Russia 2014 to present and on to 2020 election.

Respectfully..........and with great respect for our Mod @AudubonB and for both @JRP3 and @SPadival ..(I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to buy and share beers with any and all of you someday if I could be so fortunate)....I would like to offer that discussions around the performance and policy of the Obama administration are quite relevant here. Many of us have followed political scientist/economist Mark Blyth and his views that the policies of Austerity and Neoliberalism were on the verge of failing worldwide. And the protests from France to Chile, and from Lebanon to Hong Kong speak volumes to that. Recall that Mark successfully predicted Brexit, Trump, and Greece.......and he called for similar problems to arise in South America and even suggested things would clinch up for Angela Merkel and the EU. This is also relevant because several of the Centrist Dems are running on Obama platforms and with the help of his donors (Biden and Pete B for instance)............ there has been a virual blackout of the issues in these countries and in the countries of Venezuela, Ecuador, and others recently. And when Mr Obama is not giving speeches to Wall Street in his retirement at about $400,000 a pop, he is making the rounds cautioning us to not cast stones at his efforts and cautioning us not too move left of his policies....(is this Image Management....I think so)........but let's be clear, the greatest number of people showing up for any and all candidates at the moment are doing so because they are screaming to move to the left of Trump, and to the left of Obama's Centrist policies. In fact, 85% of voters under 30 are calling for a fundamental change to Washington policies of all recent past administrations. So to me, this is all relevant.

Perhaps the best finger on the pulse of younger voters and independent voters that will not even show up unless candidates support their issues is the team of Saagar Enjeti and Krystal Ball IMHO. And on their show - The Hill Rising - they routinely report the efforts of Centrists/Wall Street/Big Money to pull the Dem Candidates back to a position that is more aligned with Obama even though all of the candidates have found that the only way they can gain traction in the polls is to adopt more Progressive policies. Hmmm......well at least until Elizabeth and Pete promise too much on Medicare and have to back step some. We are in the middle of a great Class struggle at the moment, and those that have benefited from the policies of Austerity that Mark Blyth enlightened us about are deeply concerned that their boat is about to get rocked. So while Obama is touring the country and basically saying "Let them eat cake" to protect the Austere that benefited from his policies, the rallies are getting bigger and the number of people endorsing a revolution are growing daily. So while perhaps @SPadival could have presented his message a little 'softer', I do think that the content is relevant and I would appreciate the opportunity to see it here.

For those that didn't see it, here is Saagar Enjeti's very recent discussions on why this is relevant too (note that Saagar is a Democrat and has moved to the left of the Obama era. I mention this because some of his initial criticisms might make you think you are watching a more Right-leaning discussion instead). But in light of the friction between @JRP3 and @SPadival I would respectfully suggest this is well worth watching........and that it supports past posts from both of them:

And for those that have not seen Mark Blyth, I will repost the link to his discussion of Austerity and would strongly encourage you to watch it. Mark is simply brilliant:

And here is his famous interview in Athens during the peak of Greece's financial trouble.................(note that both this discussion and the previous discussion took place during the Obama Administration, not the Trump administration):

For those that didn't see it, here is Saagar Enjeti's very recent discussions on why this is relevant too (note that Saagar is a Democrat and has moved to the left of the Obama era.

T is currently helping an economy to base itself on destroying the environment and the climate. The value of such an economy is illusory except on paper. Truth is not measured in dollar.

Reactions: JRP3
I will postpone my departure and just leave this here. Bye, enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

I don't know what to do with that. As usual, I see little if any practical value in what I have seen of him so far.

The assumption seems to be that I have illusions about Obama, because I am critical of T's climate change denial, and the resulting policies ?

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3 and Nathan

Back in 1989 and henceforth for years, I called for NATO to invite the newly independent Russia to join NATO when even Gorby wanted to. (From my subterranean perch then known as Sacratomato.) The Guardian piece is right on, especially until it became an impossibility, sometime during the Obama administration. Why? Defense industry profits. It is also clear a negotiated settlement is the only sane way forward as concluded by the article. But then there is Trump and Putin to contend with and only capitulation by Zelensky is on the table now with Trump's wagering armed support for peanuts in return. (Reminds me of what Gary Wills, or some such, said of Nixon: "He would dive into his mother's womb for nickels.")

Hopefully the next administration will respond to a European demand, another Paris Peace Conference where the Great Powers table ideas like a new comprehensive security instrument to replace NATO to include both Ukraine, Russia, and China, some kind of economic union or free trade area open to all, and also a climate accord with FANGS. That would be something worth a few Nobel Peace Prizes! I know, not likely, but derived from first principles of Western political theory and the second law of thermodynamics with its consequences. Is Greta the only wannabe Gandhi, Lincoln, Mandela, Buddha, Metternich, out there? May I remind you young'ns, Rodney King wisely and sadly is famous for something like this, "Can't we just all get along?" We all need to be bold in the right without righteousness. Surely some wise man, or more likely a woman, has said "politics is too important to be left up to politicians only."

Mother Earth is suffering from the curse of manopause. The sad part of raping her and each other is climate change, her immune system at work, is unfortunately going to take out millions of innocent species too, if not thousands already.

But I'm ranting now to the climate cognoscenti.

Last edited:
I don't know what to do with that. As usual, I see little if any practical value in what I have seen of him so far.

The assumption seems to be that I have illusions about Obama, because I am critical of T's climate change denial, and the resulting policies ?

He's pointing out that Obama and Trump are the same for the most important issues that matter.

Back in 1989 and henceforth for years, I called for NATO to invite the newly independent Russia to join NATO when even
Gorby wanted to. (From my subterranean perch then known as Sacratomato.) The Guardian piece is right on, especially until it became an impossibility, sometime during the Obama administration. Why? Defense industry profits. It is also clear a negotiated settlement is the only sane way forward as concluded by the article. But then there is Trump and Putin to contend with and only capitulation by Zelensky is on the table now with Trump's wagering armed support for peanuts in return. (Reminds me of what Gary Wills, or some such, said of Nixon: "He would dive into his mother's womb for nickels.")

Hopefully the next administration will respond to a European demand, another Paris Peace Conference where the Great Powers table ideas like a new comprehensive security instrument to replace NATO to include both Ukraine, Russia, and China, some kind of economic union or free trade area open to all, and also a climate accord with FANGS. That would be something worth a few Nobel Peace Prizes! I know, not likely, but derived from first principles of Western political theory and the second law of thermodynamics with its consequences. Is Greta the only wannabe Gandhi, Lincoln, Mandela, Buddha, Metternich, out there? May I remind you young'ns, Rodney King wisely and sadly is famous for something like this, "Can't we just all get along?" We all need to be bold in the right without righteousness. Surely some wise man, or more likely a woman, has said "politics is too important to be left up to politicians only."

How can any president make peace with Russia when the MIC will do everything to keep the war going?

Putin is a pretty smart guy. His view on the dollar and its eventual collapse. The empire is overextended.

Vladimir Putin: "The Dollar Enjoyed Great Trust Around The World. But For Some Reason It Is Being Used As A Political Weapon, Imposing Restrictions. Many Countries Are Now Turning Away From The Dollar As A Reserve Currency. US Dollar Will Collapse Soon." Ben Rickert on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.