Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod: A request for civil discourse. Back when Obama was president, lots of people got upset when postings were disrespectful of him or his race and/or the office. Now that Trump is president, a completely different set of people get upset about, shall we say, colorful epithets. The pinned general threads shall be kept clear of such language. Either by you guys or by me/us. The market politics thread will become the automatic dumping ground for such postings. Two such postings were moved --ggr.

With all due respect, some of us are upset the greatest insult to the institution of the presidency is the current incumbent who could easily back off a few positions and let Congress or the executive branch institutions do their job. I want a credible government, not a kakistocracy.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and AZRI11
In case you missed it, Trump prioritizes America and what’s good for us. I like my president, have fun in Australia :)
You are aware thats he's insane right?
Also that he is pulling your country down toilet with him. Sparking a trade war with the world will impoverish your country and China will take over as the worlds leading country. China owns most of the US debt, their grip will only increase.

Australia is great, no Trump, no Trump supporters, no mass shootings.

The Gang of Six plan was a done deal in July of 2011 and simply needed a very tenuous House approval to hold.

Would you mind posting a link to the source that makes you think the Gang of Six plan was a done deal in July of 2011?

One of the links in my posting... Can the Gang of Six’s plan pass? Was written July 20, 2011. The author wrote,
"The Gang of Six's plan -- though fairly detailed for this sort of thing, hasn't been drafted into legislation yet. It hasn't been sent to the Congressional Budget Office. The rest of the Senate -- much less the House -- hasn't been briefed on it in detail, with staffs answering questions back-and-forth and legislators reaching out to the people they trust for analysis. There's a lot of work left to be done here."

Had you read somewhere that by July of 2011 the plan HAD been drafted into legislation, had been sent to CBO, Senate and House leaders had briefed, etc., etc., had you read that senators in the Gang made statements in July saying the effort was first down and goal to go? Please Frances. Which end of the mule did "The Gang of Six plan was a done deal in July of 2011" come out of?

Frances The Talking Mule.png

You are aware thats he's insane right?
Also that he is pulling your country down toilet with him. Sparking a trade war with the world will impoverish your country and China will take over as the worlds leading country. China owns most of the US debt, their grip will only increase.

Australia is great, no Trump, no Trump supporters, no mass shootings.
Okay buddy. Like I said, have fun in Australia. Watch out for them kangaroos

With all due respect, some of us are upset the greatest insult to the institution of the presidency is the current incumbent who could easily back off a few positions and let Congress or the executive branch institutions do their job. I want a credible government, not a kakistocracy.

John Brennan's comment on McCabe firing. The latest installment in Trump's assault on FBI, to justify firing Mueller and save himself from the FBI investigation. John O. Brennan served as Director of CIA from March 8, 2013 - Jan. 20, 2017.

✔@JohnBrennan

When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/974859881827258369 …

8:00 AM - Mar 17, 2018

Today is primary election day here in Illinois, which of course is ridiculously early. Unlike two years ago, the races are intensely competitive.

Our moderate Republican governor is facing a stiff challenge from a single opponent who is ultra-conservative. If the latter wins, she'll have to change her tune to appeal to the broader Illinois electorate in November. The Democrats must choose among six candidates for governor including a nephew of JFK. Meanwhile eight Democratic candidates are running for attorney general, including a former governor.

A US senator will not be elected in Illinois this year. In my US House of Representatives district #14 the Republican incumbent is unopposed in the primary, while seven Democrats are seeking the right run against him in November.

Unfortunately in a number of races, no one is likely to come close to obtaining a majority of the votes. What's needed is an instant runoff system in which voters place a number in front of each candidate on the ballot. Then in seconds a computer can run the election multiple times, each time eliminating the last place contestant and then adjusting each voter's list to account for that. Eventually the race would be down to two people with one obtaining a majority of the votes.

Winds of war. Trump is unraveling. There are things more important than money. Spineless speaker ryan might be the black swan or worse the angel of death.

Hmm, both Tillerson and McMaster fired immediately after strongly condemning Russia. Both were long on thin ice, but still an interesting coincidence. McMaster's turn came just days after Trump ignores all his security advisors and congratulates Putin on 'winning' his sham election. McCain's comments on that disgrace were pitch perfect. Of course the Russian nerve gas attack on UK soil is yesterday's news and not worth bringing up on a congratulatory phone call.

Now John Bolton, a Fox commentator who could not get confirmed for UN ambassador by a Republican Senate is picked as new National Security Advisor. His latest op ed column explained why it's okay if we first strike North Korea. Also wants to intervene in Iran to overthrow the regime there. The new Secretary of State is also known as a war hawk.
These latest firings are helpful preparation to start a war without consulting Congress to distract attention when Mueller's investigation provides multiple charges warranting impeachment. Or maybe to distract if/when he fires Mueller a triggers a constitutional crisis.

Of course security officials and cabinet heads leave and are replaced in every administration. Nothing unusual about the departures from this White House. Keep moving folks, nothing to see here!

trump departures.png

Hmm, both Tillerson and McMaster fired immediately after strongly condemning Russia. Both were long on thin ice, but still an interesting coincidence. McMaster's turn came just days after Trump ignores all his security advisors and congratulates Putin on 'winning' his sham election. McCain's comments on that disgrace were pitch perfect. Of course the Russian nerve gas attack on UK soil is yesterday's news and not worth bringing up on a congratulatory phone call.

Now John Bolton, a Fox commentator who could not get confirmed for UN ambassador by a Republican Senate is picked as new National Security Advisor. His latest op ed column explained why it's okay if we first strike North Korea. Also wants to intervene in Iran to overthrow the regime there. The new Secretary of State is also known as a war hawk.
These latest firings are helpful preparation to start a war without consulting Congress to distract attention when Mueller's investigation provides multiple charges warranting impeachment. Or maybe to distract if/when he fires Mueller a triggers a constitutional crisis.

Of course security officials and cabinet heads leave and are replaced in every administration. Nothing unusual about the departures from this White House. Keep moving folks, nothing to see here!

View attachment 288477
Ringling brothers is ending, but the real circus is only beginning. Fox news and Facebook are co-conspirators. As Jakov Smirnoff used to say "what a country".

Reactions: neroden
On the bright side gone are the days anyone took these opinion pieces seriously.

Most, including the choir to whom these kind of opinion is targeted, have learnt to treat them as entertainment.
I wish I could believe that were true. Even my good friend, retired from the IRS (so he should have known better), believed the liberal mantra that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes. He was astounded when I showed him data proving that the top 1% of earners paid nearly 50% of federal income taxes and that the top 20% paid 85% of taxes.

He was astounded when I showed him data proving that the top 1% of earners paid nearly 50% of federal income taxes and that the top 20% paid 85% of taxes.
That’s because they have such a lopsided amount of income compared to everyone else.... It’s known as “income inequality”.

Income and wealth has been concentrating or skewing towards the one percenters (and the 1/10th of one percenters etc.) whereas in the past it was spread out more evenly and the bottom 99%, 98%, 90%, 80% etc. paid a larger relative fraction of taxes.

Wealth and income have concentrated faster than high income tax brackets have been reduced — in part because high income tax brackets were reduced. Income and wealth concentration began spiraling at the same time that upper margin tax brackets began to be sharply reduced beginning around 40 years ago. This didn’t happen nearly as much in other developed countries that kept higher tax rates.

How do you inject liberal bashing into a discussion on an article from longtime Tesla troll Niedermeyer?

Are you trolling yourself?
Not liberal bashing. Just an example from my own experience of how someone who should know better, will still believe nonsense put out by his favored political side and ignore facts that contradict what he wants to believe. There are, of course, plenty of people who persist in believing conservative myths in the face of evidence to the contrary, but I don't personally know any of them.

I wish I could believe that were true. Even my good friend, retired from the IRS (so he should have known better), believed the liberal mantra that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes. He was astounded when I showed him data proving that the top 1% of earners paid nearly 50% of federal income taxes and that the top 20% paid 85% of taxes.

But how much does the 1% have in after tax income? Especially compared with the bottom 20%? I went a few years where work was hard to find and I didn't owe any federal income tax. The last few years I've been paying more than I ever did. I'll take my current position over the way things were back then.

If you look at the total tax bite the working poor pay vs the top earners. Very, very few people in the top 20% have less money after taxes than the bottom 50% earners. Almost all poorer earners pay a significantly higher percentage of their income in taxes when you consider all taxes than the top earners.

Top earners don't make their money in a vacuum. They benefit from a system that allows them to make their income. I do think the government wastes a lot of the money they take in, most of it goes into a vastly overly expensive military system. But money also goes back into things that helps them keep making money.

• Disagree
Reactions: BornToFly and JRP3
macros ...

China pledged on Sunday to press ahead with market opening and reforms while reiterating that it will treat domestic and foreign firms equally and protect intellectual property rights

China renews pledges to open economy, protect IP rights China renews pledges to open economy, protect IP rights

Trump has a stick for tomorrow when all peeps are talking about is Stormy Daniels. He´ll claim victory in the trade war that never was.

But more importantly, this might calm the markets and stop the hissy fit that´s going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.