Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless China retaliates overnight I don’t think the market will be too upset tomorrow since he is only “planning to” and the new list won’t come out anytime soon and I really think he is bluffing. But I’m really afraid that China will call Trump’s bluff tonight.

Trump is an idiot. Wag the dog. He is to chicken to start a real war, instead we now have a trade war. Idiocracy.

I feel Trump is trying hard to negotiate a fair trade. It's urgent and quite important for the nation's long term future. Currently US has $500B trade deficit each year, that's -$500,000,000,000. What did other Presidents do to address it, other than getting us into 20 trillion dollars of debt? Some say the $400B trade deficit with China is structural and fair. I think only part of that is true. Many of those rules were set up long time ago to protect their fragile industries. But things have changed a lot in the last 15 years. A fair trade should benefit both sides.

Reactions: BornToFly
I wish anyone here more sympathetic to Trump's negotiating strategy than I could reassure about a more recent development.

Trump Doubles Down on Potential Trade War With China

Methinks we shall have another down day for the markets tomorrow. Again, hope I'm wrong!!!

Unfortunately I think you may be correct on a down day tomorrow. However, market were down big Wednesday when Trump made tariff statement so I’m praying this is what happens again.

This is how I’m seeing the trade war, I might be over simplifying things but I’ll give it a shot. The US exports $130B to China, while in 2016 (I couldn’t find 2017 data) the US exports $2.7 trillion to everyone else in the world. So exports to China is less than 5% (not very significant in the grand scheme of things).

Now let’s look at China, exports for 2016 to the world was $2.04 trillion, of that amount $506 billion was exported to the US alone, or equaling about 25%. It’s very clear which country has more to lose if tariffs are imposed as American manufacturers start to move out from China in order to put itself in a more competitive situation. A trade war will obviously mean additional measures to cripple China if companies such as Apple and others begin moving out.

If you think the IPhone is expensive now, think about adding another $250 on top of that, will this encourage companies to move it’s supply chains somewhere else in order to compete with Samsung, whose phones will be much less? If this happens, I’m ready to ditch my iPhone in order to support US trade. China might be blowing a lot of smoke right now, but I highly doubt they want to go down that rabbit hole against Trump, who in my view is precisely the erratic president that just *might do it. In the end, I think China will blink, they might have very strong manufacturing efficiencies already in place, but it has 1.4 billion people, which needs to be employed.

Last edited:
You're misanalyzing the tarriffs. The US has substantially more to lose from imposing tarriffs than China does, because the US is dependent on Chinese imports, and China isn't dependent on the US for anything at all. Basically, China doesn't need to import anything from the US, so they'll simply cut imports if the US imposes tarriffs. Meanwhile lost sales to the US don't matter to them that much either; they can export somewhere else or use its production locally; they don't really need US dollars (which they've been stockpiling in a warehouse, basically, to avoid allowing their currency to go up).

But the US is absolutely dependent for a large portion of our supply chain on Chinese imports and will simply end up paying the tarriffs. Now, *we shouldn't have been in this situation in the first place*, but now that we're here (a decision made back in the 1970s/1980s), the US only hurts its own companies by applying tarriffs on Chinese imports.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
And here we are 7 years later with deficits creeping back toward $1T+. Yay!
Remember, deficits don't matter.

Everyone with a clue knows that large deficits are normal and appropriate for governments; to a first approximation, the government debt == the money supply, and the money supply needs to continually increase to stabilize the economy.

Republicans want to print money and give it to rich people; Democrats want to print money and give it to poor people. Economically, the Democrats are correct here, because when too much of the money is concentrated in the hands of rich people, it does not serve its economic function of causing commerce to happen -- poor people spend their money, while rich people mostly don't.

When you hear a federal politician yammering about deficits, all he means is "I don't want to spend money on that, I'd rather spend it on something else". They never care about deficits when it comes to the things they want. And they shouldn't care about deficits, since deficits are a good thing, but it does mean any federal politician talking about deficits is trying to trick you.

Today is primary election day here in Illinois, which of course is ridiculously early. Unlike two years ago, the races are intensely competitive.

Our moderate Republican governor is facing a stiff challenge from a single opponent who is ultra-conservative. If the latter wins, she'll have to change her tune to appeal to the broader Illinois electorate in November. The Democrats must choose among six candidates for governor including a nephew of JFK. Meanwhile eight Democratic candidates are running for attorney general, including a former governor.

A US senator will not be elected in Illinois this year. In my US House of Representatives district #14 the Republican incumbent is unopposed in the primary, while seven Democrats are seeking the right run against him in November.

Unfortunately in a number of races, no one is likely to come close to obtaining a majority of the votes. What's needed is an instant runoff system in which voters place a number in front of each candidate on the ballot. Then in seconds a computer can run the election multiple times, each time eliminating the last place contestant and then adjusting each voter's list to account for that. Eventually the race would be down to two people with one obtaining a majority of the votes.

Instant runoff is actually a bad system. Please go to the Center For Election Sciences if you want to learn about the game theory behind election systems, and what is actually a good system.

One very good system is approval voting. Each voter votes up or down on every candidate. The candidate with the most "up" votes gets elected. The greatest advantage here is that that candidate is unarguably the most popular.

I wish I could believe that were true. Even my good friend, retired from the IRS (so he should have known better), believed the liberal mantra that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes. He was astounded when I showed him data proving that the top 1% of earners paid nearly 50% of federal income taxes and that the top 20% paid 85% of taxes.

You're saying something false, and the false thing here is "earners".

The very rich make most of their money off what is known as "unearned income". They are not the top "earners". They are the top "collectors" of income.

And of course the top 1% pays more than 50% of federal income taxes, because *they control more than 50% of the nation's wealth*. They're (I should say "we're" -- I'm one of them) paying less than their fair share and less than they would under a flat wealth tax system.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and AZRI11
I hope no one thought I was disparaging the President. I was just trying to exaggerate the insults of the post I was responding, to make a point. It was probably to harsh, and for that I apologize. I dont love our president, but I certainly respect him and I dont think he is doing a terrible job.

Well, I don't respect him and I do think he's doing a terrible job. He's acting like a spoiled baby, *and that's what his own cabinet members are saying*.

There are plenty of politicians I don't respect, but Trump is in a special category of dangerously out of touch with reality.

This thread on this forum is a dead end. Ill be back when Trump is impeached or re-elected. Given the focus by Dems on Russia, it does not seem like they understand why they lost. Whether you like or hate Trump, his presidency is further proof that Dems do not understand why they lost.
Oh, I think the 50% of the Democratic Party who voted for Bernie Sanders in the primary knows exactly why Clinton lost (despite getting more votes than Trump). The electoral college bias, and an awful campaigner who was out of touch.

But the US is absolutely dependent for a large portion of our supply chain on Chinese imports and will simply end up paying the tarriffs. Now, *we shouldn't have been in this situation in the first place*, but now that we're here (a decision made back in the 1970s/1980s), the US only hurts its own companies by applying tarriffs on Chinese imports.

Neroden, your explanation makes sense. Still, I’m not convinced that the Chinese will escape unscathed, I think they are more dependent on the US than meets the eye. Initially, consumers will end up paying the tariffs, but competitors will simply open another manufacture elsewhere that would benefit from the 25% less in cost to give themselves an advantage, they will slowly move out of China. In the short term we pay the tariffs, in the long term, the Chinese will lose jobs due to manufacture moving out.

Do you have suggested readings on this topic? And which 1970s/1980s decision are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.