Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a permanent SC in that area would be extremely helpful. Most northbound trips I take don't go through Hagerstown, and it's good to juice up a bit before heading home to my 110V outlet. Montgomery Mall gets pretty packed - is there a parking area that can spare 6+ spaces without a high risk of ICEing?

This kinda surprises me. I work around the corner from Mont Mall and stop by there pretty regularly. Of course I park near the SC so I can gawk and drool a little (no Tesla for me until next year, sorry to say........) I have never seen an ICE or anything other than a MS parked in the SC spaced. Recognize I am still a small sample size, and only go by during lunch hour on work days when the mall is not as crowded, but ample parking is available within a 60 second walk of the SC location. Would be happy to see it moved to some other spot particularly if it were still under cover in the mall garage if that meant more charging spaces, as its use will only increase in coming years.

Paul

Agree, I have never seen it ICEd, but I have seen MS parked there - plugged in, but no fan, no charging. It was particularly bad Presidents Day weekend, which was a bit embarrassing for us locals who couldn't stop ignorant locals for parking there for hours so they could do dinner and a movie... ugh!

So who has a grey model S that was at Hagerstown Saturday afternoon with a sign on the dash that says "This is an all electric car, the ac is on and it is a cool 70 deg inside. Any questions call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I figure anyone that has a sign like that is an enthusiast and must be a member if TMC.

So who has a grey model S that was at Hagerstown Saturday afternoon with a sign on the dash that says "This is an all electric car, the ac is on and it is a cool 70 deg inside. Any questions call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I figure anyone that has a sign like that is an enthusiast and must be a member if TMC.

Any pets inside? it might have spawned from the "animal inside the car" thread. If they didn't have any pets, it might have been there from when they did. Either way, I am willing to be they read the forums :)

Any pets inside? it might have spawned from the "animal inside the car" thread. If they didn't have any pets, it might have been there from when they did. Either way, I am willing to be they read the forums :)

Didn't think about a pet inside. That might have been the case. I didn't notice one, though I didn't look that closely. I just saw something on the dash and looked to see what it was.

I was at Montgomery Mall today (at about 12:30 pm) after having spent the weekend in Philadelphia. All charging spots were taken but within 2 - 3 minutes of my arrival one MS owner/family returned to their car, so I was able to get one of the Supercharger spots. As I normally do, I left a note on my windshield stating the time I started charging and included my telephone number. About 40 minutes later I returned to my car and saw that the other Supercharger spot was now vacant and available.

While at the mall, I stopped at the Tesla gallery and spoke with the folks there about the potential Supercharger location in Maryland. They told me that they had heard that it "might be around the Savage area."

Was this a local number? If it was a NY number I may know who that was...

I think the issue is local MS owners hogging the SC longer than they need to, e.g. going shopping and staying far past charge completion.

I have to say that I stop by the mall regularly, and there almost never seems to be an issue here. Certainly no more often than I've seen them in DE, which has twice the number of charging spots. Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that the charger was down for a whole day after (as I was told) the transformer it and part of the mall was on blew? It is a real shame if they move this one off of the 270 corridor and over to Savage Mill. I have talked to quite a number of owners who either purchased their car because this charger was put in, or others who are now looking to purchase or ordered the car because of it. I hope the Bethesda crew understands the degree this charger increases local sales.

Peter

Was this a local number? If it was a NY number I may know who that was...

I have to say that I stop by the mall regularly, and there almost never seems to be an issue here. Certainly no more often than I've seen them in DE, which has twice the number of charging spots. Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that the charger was down for a whole day after (as I was told) the transformer it and part of the mall was on blew? It is a real shame if they move this one off of the 270 corridor and over to Savage Mill. I have talked to quite a number of owners who either purchased their car because this charger was put in, or others who are now looking to purchase or ordered the car because of it. I hope the Bethesda crew understands the degree this charger increases local sales.

Peter

The Bethesda SC shouldn't influence local sales. SCs are for distance travel, not for local charging. It's not your private gas station.

The Bethesda SC shouldn't influence local sales. SCs are for distance travel, not for local charging. It's not your private gas station.

Tesla, has actually pretty much already changed their stance on this. Look at what they have done in the UK and China. And if you notice on their map they will be sticking more and more in pretty dense city areas. This is for those who have no option of fast (or any) charge at home.

That being said, 2 chargers makes it tough, and even worse when people are inconsiderate of others on a pretty busy site.

I agree, for anyone who has access to home charging. Most city dwellers don't have such access, so having urban SCs would be immensely helpful for potential car buyers in cities. I'm immensely fortunate just to have a garage space with a 110V outlet - most people don't have even that.

Agree, I have never seen it ICEd, but I have seen MS parked there - plugged in, but no fan, no charging. It was particularly bad Presidents Day weekend, which was a bit embarrassing for us locals who couldn't stop ignorant locals for parking there for hours so they could do dinner and a movie... ugh!

Ahh, I see. I stand corrected. Will look more closely next time over.

Paul

CatB,

As of a few weeks ago, the Savage Mill Superchargers are still said to be "coming soon." A permit hasn't been filed yet.

There are indications that a Tesla owner who obviously is beta testing a CHAdeMO adapter has used the DC Quick Charger at the Howard County Ascend Building several times this summer.

An eVgo Freedom Station with CHAdeMO began construction a few weeks ago in Elkridge just off of Rt. 175. That construction started within days of the permit being filed so things could potentially move very quickly. Thinkje is closely monitoring the Howard County commercial electrical permits and will report here the moment Savage Mill shows up.

Lanny