Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive data uploads since 2017.34 2448cfc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @BigD0g, it seems like Tesla decided they wanted more data for some reason then..

@kdday - I have a Ubiquiti Unifi setup (using wireless uplinks/mesh to get coverage all the way to my garage), it also gives insight into what kind of traffic the client has:

upload_2017-11-29_2-6-52.png

There’s a few posts about premature eMMC wear cause CID failure from possibly all the read/writes but also the temp of the CID, but nothing statistical yet I don’t believe.
I've seen those posts too and that's why, in hopes to ease off on the eMMC writes, I enabled energy savings settings and unchecked "always connected" to allow the car to sleep as much as possible to extend eMMC lifespan. I've read that if car is not sleeping - it's logging something - writing and re-writing to flash memory.

I figured, I can wait 30 sec for car to wake up if it saves me $3-4k bill in a few years.

I've seen those posts too and that's why, in hopes to ease off on the eMMC writes, I enabled energy savings settings and unchecked "always connected" to allow the car to sleep as much as possible to extend eMMC lifespan. I've read that if car is not sleeping - it's logging something - writing and re-writing to flash memory.

I figured, I can wait 30 sec for car to wake up if it saves me $3-4k bill in a few years.

Sorry, but no those syslogs are "always" running unless your power off the car in the CID, I believe.

Sorry, but no those syslogs are "always" running unless your power off the car in the CID, I believe.
I'm just going from what I've read:

The CID doesn't sleep even with energy saving mode.

Actually I am not 100% sure of that. It's true when you have "always connected" checked, but if not it might be sleeping.

CID consists of few separate processing units. Main computer which is responsible for graphics and many other things callled Tegra. This computer definitely sleeps. Everybody who has CID on a bench knows that. Gateway subunit is not sleeping. It is responsible for waking everything up if signal comes in. This unit has two flash storages and logs communication lines (can & eth) extensively. Log files stored on SD card that could be removed and replaced. We didn't hear about wearing and failing SD yet though. So far we've seen multiple cases of failing Tegra, particularly eMMC flash memory on it. It is main data storage for Tegra, soldered to the PCB.
I confirm what @verygreen says -"always connected" setting is evil since it makes Tegra to be always awake which increases vampire drain and much more increased wear of flash memory, accelerates failure. If you have classic MS - beware of using this setting.

At the cost of a lost MCU out of warranty, I'd take the extra 10 seconds to "wake" if it was me (well it is, and thats what I do haha)

How relevant is this to the recently built models? I'm assuming the potential for issues is the same, is that right?

Still relevant, it will fail one day... when has yet to be seen. Think of it like a cell phone, or a video card in your computer.

They should provide the option to remotely log to our own syslog servers. :)

Bruce.

They will never do this of course because it would be a persistent bandwidth hog over cellular. But they definitely should allow owners greater control over the infotainment systems (including the ability to disable logging). They're already at the point where, from a security standpoint, having access to the Ubuntu systems does not alone compromise the vehicle.

no they are not.

From an owner perspective, I disagree. Sure, an owner could get in there and mess up the filesystem. But then Tesla would have them on the line to pay for the labor to restore the firmware in recovery mode. There really is not much else an owner can do that Tesla hasn't thought of.

From a malicious hacker perspective, I agree. The atttack surface is much greater and they would be more easily able to exploit the gateway. Once they achieve that then they can do anything.