Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive data uploads since 2017.34 2448cfc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine's been uploading 50-70MB each day and I drive through a construction zone on the way to work. That's not quite "massive uploads" but it's definitely more than previous versions which used to sit at <10MB doing the same trips.
As an update to this, I did a longer drive which went through the construction zone on the way out and back in on a 200km long 2 hour drive where autopilot was used 99.9% of the time. Interestingly it still only uploaded 75MB, seemingly caring very little about retrieving data about the rest of the autopilot time.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Same for me, i've been doing roughly 100m to 200m when driving long drives, and less then that for my normal commutes closer to 20 - 30mb.

Also, the entire being autopilot has nothing to do with the snapshots except for disengagements, the system will always be searching for the data the mothership asks for, only the disengagements are special and require AP/TACC to be engaged to capture.

• Informative
I've been having huge data DOWNLOADS over the past week -- 14 GB total, 11.7 GB in three days while I was out of town and the car was idle. 940 MB down today (which I guess is the latest SW load, although I haven't gotten the notification yet).

My only theory is that I was pushed a big database of features and navigational data for the "real" EAP shadow mode that is allegedly running.

Has anybody else seen this download volume?? Seattle location, by the way...

I also pushed 900+ MB up during that time, which is not atypical lately.

• Informative
I've been having huge data DOWNLOADS over the past week -- 14 GB total, 11.7 GB in three days while I was out of town and the car was idle. 940 MB down today (which I guess is the latest SW load, although I haven't gotten the notification yet).

My only theory is that I was pushed a big database of features and navigational data for the "real" EAP shadow mode that is allegedly running.

Maybe just updating seattle area coffee locations...

Hm... 14G is waaay too much. In fact you can hardly store this much data in the car.
Even the updated navigation maps are only ~5G (and then I never heard of them being distributed outside of model 3 fleet yet). Full firmware update with AP2 would only be 1G (but typically they only send a binary diff so it's a lot smaller).

Did you you leave the car in camper mode/parking break so it was pulling music to play all this time by any chance?

Hm... 14G is waaay too much. In fact you can hardly store this much data in the car.
Even the updated navigation maps are only ~5G (and then I never heard of them being distributed outside of model 3 fleet yet). Full firmware update with AP2 would only be 1G (but typically they only send a binary diff so it's a lot smaller).

Did you you leave the car in camper mode/parking break so it was pulling music to play all this time by any chance?

No; nothing going on. The car was in deep sleep when I got home. Bizarre, isn't it?

If the download wasn't "real," perhaps there was something failing and retrying repeatedly. FWIW, I apparently just pulled .44.xxx down today (guessing from today's download, but I don't have the indication yet). Maybe they are pushing big feature databases to cars in certain markets. I drive around central Seattle, and it is a big Tesla market. Even so, 11 GB is an enormous feature database, and like you said, it pushes the limits of local storage!

• Informative
Umm, there is no 11 GB feature dB, that would be at least 2x all the us roads and features. Also, .44 is only 782mb, so something else is going on.... me thinks....

Definitely not just a release.

In fact, I still haven't gotten the notification for .44, although it could be sitting there steeping. I "only" downloaded 300 MB in the last 24 hours, although it has been off WiFi all day today.

I'm pretty interested in the network specs that the Tesla cars uses. Do they use 5GHz? Do they use 802.11ac? MIMO? Are they uploading slow and steady (a few Mb/s for a few hours) or quick in burst (10's or 100's Mb/s for a few minutes)? What's the maximum data-rate (in Mb/s) you have seen a Tesla reach?

Would be interesting to see if uploading data at superchargers would be useful for those with a bandwidth or data cap. If you could connect the superchargers to gigabit internet you could upload with 120 MB/s, or about 200 GB in 30 minutes. Even with 8 cars uploading you still let each car upload 25 GB in a charge, which should be more than enough.

Aside from wireless, imagine they build ethernet in the charging port. At superchargers everybody has a dedicated full-duplex connection and home owners who want it could connect their charger with their network with an ethernet cable.

So I drove through a construction marked area (the orange cones) today and yesterday and no snapshots triggered. None of the other did either in the last few days, so I guess the system is looking for something more specific (now I am even more disappointed I lost that slope up snapshot).
Ok. It was really bothering me why the stuff was not triggering anymore and so I looked deeper and duh - the triggers were only supposed to last for 23 hours since they were pushed.

Oh well.

Why would they limit it like that? The upload only happens over wifi, right? (So wouldn't be to limit upload costs?) Could it be because of storage space? Or are they in a big hurry?
I guess they did not need too many samples, just a quick check it was doing the correct thing (I imagine they fanned out a lot of other labels to different car groups)

Why would they limit it like that? The upload only happens over wifi, right? (So wouldn't be to limit upload costs?) Could it be because of storage space? Or are they in a big hurry?
FWIW it wouldn't be free for them to receive it from their end (presumably via AWS). It's unlikely the performance with respect to those snapshot triggers changes from day to day, so a 24hr trigger might be all of the samples they need.

My car (on firmware .44) started uploading a lot of data again yesterday. 800MB+ yesterday, 900 MB++ today.

upload_2017-11-29_1-9-18.png

The driving has been regular commuting to work, not much different than previous days except that we have a bit of snow on the roads now.

@verygreen, are the triggers you mentioned hardcoded in firmware or is it also a dynamic thing that can change over time, for example updated by the mothership via push/pull requests in between firmware updates?

My car (on firmware .44) started uploading a lot of data again yesterday. 800MB+ yesterday, 900 MB++ today.

View attachment 263397

The driving has been regular commuting to work, not much different than previous days except that we have a bit of snow on the roads now.

@verygreen, are the triggers you mentioned hardcoded in firmware or is it also a dynamic thing that can change over time, for example updated by the mothership via push/pull requests in between firmware updates?

It’s dynamic and not tied to firmwares, it’s a custom JSON payload / query language that the ape receives and processes.

View attachment 263397

I’ve been noticing the same thing on my car — it is on .44, hadn’t been uploading anything for a while, but recently it uploads several hundred MB per day.