Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cannot find much on search, sorry if I'm repeating.

ISSUE: while under AP, car drifts left to right like it's drunk. Very long and strung out "S" curves back from the left side of the lane to the right side.

Is this an alignment issue? This started happening after V10 and a front axle replacement by the local SC for axle clicking.

Have you tried a full reboot? To rule out alignment you gotta take autopilot out of the equation.

driving on a flat straight road how does the car track with no autopilot. Just you driving. (This will tell you if the alignment is part of the issue). And of course is the steering wheel straight?

you don’t typically have to realign a car after a CV axle swap

So is "before peak energy rates begin" lumped together with Scheduled Departure?

Hard to imagine many people coincidentally want to leave the house just as high electric rates begin. Apples and oranges, imo. They are separate things, and should not be lumped together. So if cheap overnight electric ends at 6am, what if you want to leave at 8am? Is the car going to waste energy staying conditioned for two hours?

Reactions: evannole
Just downloaded. Hope the "hold" works for me. When taking my foot off the accelerator the car starts to slow and goes down to about 5 mph then takes a very long time to get to 0. I almost always have to tap the brake to stop moving. I spend most of my time on residential roads and parking lots so I use the brakes more than I think I should.

So is "before peak energy rates begin" lumped together with Scheduled Departure?

Hard to imagine many people coincidentally want to leave the house just as high electric rates begin. Apples and oranges, imo. They are separate things, and should not be lumped together. So if cheap overnight electric ends at 6am, what if you want to leave at 8am? Is the car going to waste energy staying conditioned for two hours?

From how I understand it, the car will aim to be fully charged by 6am, but will also precondition the cabin for your departure time. Two separate events bundled into one convenient “departure time” setting. I don’t know how far in advance it’ll precondition, but I don’t think it starts that as soon as it starts charging the car. I know it mentions that it’ll help with regen but I assume it’s because heat in the pack will last a decent amount of time (large mass holding the heat).

Just downloaded. Hope the "hold" works for me. When taking my foot off the accelerator the car starts to slow and goes down to about 5 mph then takes a very long time to get to 0. I almost always have to tap the brake to stop moving. I spend most of my time on residential roads and parking lots so I use the brakes more than I think I should.

You’ll like Hold mode, then. Addresses that issue well.

Reactions: cabbie
Got my update and I'm torn.

On one hand, I love the one-pedal feature while driving normally. But when parking, backing up, etc., it feels really weird. Maybe I just have to get used to it?
Agree. I also don't like it in another situation: Pulling out of my alley into the slightly larger neighborhood street, there's a sidewalk as well as some good sized trees on the corner, and houses built right up to the sidewalk and very close to the road. The trees and houses partially block the view of the sidewalk, and the setback of the sidewalk plus the trees and houses and the fact that the road is on quite a slope make it difficult to see the whole street until you're almost in it. With Creep turned on, I can slowly inch forward to see first if there's any pedestrian traffic and then if there are any cars coming, and my foot is already on the brake, ready to stop immediately if there's any reason to. Even when inching forward, one-pedal driving won't stop the car the instant you let go of the pedal. I just think that Creep with your foot actively on the brake pedal is safer in such situations.

Too bad, because I do really like the one-pedal driving in stop and go traffic. It reminds me of one of the best parts of driving a stick - slowing down via engine braking, without the risk of stalling at very low speed. I got used to it almost immediately. It's in situations that require lots of little precision movements that I don't think it is ideal. I am probably going to stick with Creep for the time being.

Last edited:
Agree. I also don't like it in another situation: Pulling out of my alley into the slightly larger neighborhood street, there's a sidewalk as well as some good sized trees on the corner, and houses built right up to the sidewalk and very close to the road. The trees and houses partially block the view of the sidewalk, and the setback of the sidewalk plus the trees and houses and the fact that the road is on quite a slope make it difficult to see the whole street until you're almost in it. With Creep turned on, I can slowly inch forward to see first if there's any pedestrian traffic and then if there are any cars coming, and my foot is already on the brake, ready to stop immediately if there's any reason to. Even when inching forward, one-pedal driving won't stop the car the instant you let go of the pedal. I just think that Creep with your foot actively on the brake pedal is safer in such situations.

Too bad, because I do really like the one-pedal driving in stop and go traffic. It reminds me of one of the best parts of driving a stick - slowing down via engine braking, without the risk of stalling at very low speed. I got used to it almost immediately. It's in situations that require lots of little precision movements that I don't think it is ideal. I am probably going to stick with Creep for the time being.

You describe mine and a lot of people’s feelings. I like Hold too much 99% of the time, though, to give it up fully for that 1% annoyance.

I’m not sure how Tesla software development team can improve it without causing confusion among users. Consistency is key.

Put your left foot on the brake pedal, so easy!

What's crazy is they just opt you into the new HOLD mode without the driver changing any settings. They should never mess with the driving controls without the user explicitly changing it, that's messed up. I planned to turn it on right away, but for people who aren't enthusiastically following Tesla updates and reading all the release notes it could come as a surprise, and there shouldn't be surprises when it comes to the actual driving and braking controls.

That certainly was not the case with our car. Was set to "Roll" after the update. I then manually changed it to "Hold".

Do you use easy access or change driving profiles? I noticed it changes the setting upon installing the update, but it doesn't actually save it to your driving profile, so as soon as you change profiles it reverts back to the original setting you had.

• Informative
Reactions: RobRain