Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side note, the updates always seem to rush to about ~260mb (I’m on a 100mbits line so it downloads about a meg a second). Then it’ll pause for a long time (minutes) and then continue... anyone else notice this odd download behavior? Wonder if there is a 256mb cache or something that then slowly copies over or something?
Yes, saw the same at both 12MB/sec and 125MB/sec symmetrical link speeds. Both with this and other larger updates (~500MBs for older v9 to v10 build updates or ~2-4GBs when grabbing new map data).

Must be something in how AWS handles the pulls.

A few things:

1.) I do NOT think there's any blend of friction brakes taking place here. You can hear the motor whine as it regens all the way down to 0mph
2.) I tested regen and how it would behave on steep hill (going down it). The car regen'ed down to 0mph, and then automatically enabled "Hold." Now, if you press the brake at that point, it will take the car out of "Hold." I noticed on the regen bar that it was actually using a little energy to keep the car in place, NOT the friction brakes. After a few seconds of sitting with 0mph displayed, it went back into "Hold" mode.

Anyway, my feelings haven't changed so much on this new "Hold" mode. I love it for driving, - less so for parking.

It may be using motors to stop all the way but there is no energy regeneration below 3-4 mph.

Regen to a stop on an AWD (2019.36.2)

I’m really bothered by the release notes. It uses the word “blend” for Hold mode, but it doesn’t make sense in this context. There’s no blending to keep the vehicle stopped. It’s just an application of the friction brakes.

So the question still remains - is there any blending of the friction brakes to bring the car to a stop? We know the friction brakes are applied to KEEP the vehicle stopped. Wish Tesla had been more clear on their description.

Attachments

• 5E18E0B7-2AC4-451B-8CE0-6847B2AAE12F.jpeg
    5E18E0B7-2AC4-451B-8CE0-6847B2AAE12F.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 72
Anyone with HW2.5 have cone visualization ?
No, I just drove past a set of construction cones and none were visualized.
As far as other observations:
  • One pedal driving will take an adjustment but will be great
  • Lane changes worked well
  • Unscientific but I did feel a power improvement.
I always test two situations when I get a new release.
  • The first is an exit that for some reason NoA has difficulty taking. Always takes it too fast and I always take over sooner then other exits. I was surprised that it was worse on 36.2.1. As the car started to exit it bailed out on my and I had to take over.
  • On a secondary road with two sharp curves taken at 20 mph it failed miserably but that is no change from every other update I've tried in the past 18+ months. (yes I know NoA isn't for limited access roads)
Tomorrow I will try a Summon which is very simple but the car just stops way to soon causing me to rescue the car.

Last edited:
No, I just drove past a set of construction cones and none were visualized.
As far as other observations:
  • One pedal driving will take an adjustment but will be great
  • Lane changes worked well
I always test two situations when I get a new release.
  • The first is an exit that for some reason NoA has difficulty taking. Always takes it too fast and I always take over sooner then other exits. I was surprised that it was worse on 36.2.1. As the car started to exit it bailed out on my and I had to take over.
  • On a secondary road with two sharp curves taken at 20 mph it failed miserably but that is no change from every other update I've tried in the past 18+ months. (yes I know NoA isn't for limited access roads)
Tomorrow I will try a Summon which is very simple but the car just stops way to soon causing me to rescue the car.

I believe the release notes say Navigate on Autopilot has to be enabled for cones to show up. Anyone have a screenshot?

I’m really bothered by the release notes. It uses the word “blend” for Hold mode, but it doesn’t make sense in this context. There’s no blending to keep the vehicle stopped. It’s just an application of the friction brakes.

So the question still remains - is there any blending of the friction brakes to bring the car to a stop? We know the friction brakes are applied to KEEP the vehicle stopped. Wish Tesla had been more clear on their description.

Just reviewed my data and from 0.5kph to 0 and hold the rear and front motor power is 0. Though the resolution may only be 0.5kw.

From 5.44kph down power is not negative and not regenerating any power. (Rear power is negative above that speed).

In between 5.44 kph and 0.5kph power is sometimes 0.5kw or 1.0kw (positive/opposite of Regen).

Below 3.28kph front torque went negative and rear torque was 0 and front power was either 0 or 0.5kw.

Don't know what conclusions can be drawn.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG