Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that below 4 or so mph the way the car continues to slow down to a complete stop is by closing the circuit in the motor windings. It should help in the cold weather converting kinetic energy to heat to warm up the motor/battery.

The question is over the usage of the word “blend” in the description. I think the easiest way to know would be to “paint” something on the rotors right before driving away. Then seeing if it gets scraped off by the pads upon regen braking to 0mph.

707959DD-8EDD-4B35-8077-8E15F3C64DB5.jpeg
Makes big cones small

Just reviewed my data and from 0.5kph to 0 and hold the rear and front motor power is 0. Though the resolution may only be 0.5kw.

From 5.44kph down power is not negative and not regenerating any power. (Rear power is negative above that speed).

In between 5.44 kph and 0.5kph power is sometimes 0.5kw or 1.0kw (positive/opposite of Regen).

Below 3.28kph front torque went negative and rear torque was 0 and front power was either 0 or 0.5kw.

Don't know what conclusions can be drawn.

Sounds like it is effectively putting the car in reverse. Positive power and negative torque. Similar to the driver putting the car in reverse before coming to a complete stop.

I'm getting really tired of the recent 32.x change to AP that keeps prompting me to apply turning force to the steering wheel while I have both hands on the wheel!. I have to really turn the wheel now. In older versions that would have been enough to turn off AP. I hope, but doubt, this is addressed in 36.x
Or you can just turn one of the thumb wheels one click.

I guess a good experiment would be to Regen to a stop downhill. If it's putting power in reverse it should be higher and more easily measurable when stopping downhill.

I think it’s doing EXACTLY that.

Check out this tiny video I made: This was stopped on a downhill and then I accelerated to 2mph and let off all the pedals. The car is actually using MORE power than if you were e.g. using Creep + friction brake, as it appears that it is indeed literally spinning the motor in the opposite direction at low speed to combat the forward movement. That’s why I’m seeing power being USED in the bar while coming to a stop. As soon as the car came to a 0mph/stop, I felt the friction brakes grab and hold.

So, as far as I’m concerned this new Hold mode uses MORE power than any other mode, but conserves your brake pads further.

Reactions: bijan
When using the new “Hold” mode, I hear a clink/clank sound under the dash in the footwell area as the car comes to a full stop. Anyone else notice this? What is making that noise? Sounds like a solenoid/actuator of sorts... Never heard it before the update or when manually applying “Hold” by pressing on the brake pedal. Again, has anyone else noticed this since the update?

I think it’s doing EXACTLY that.

Check out this tiny video I made: This was stopped on a downhill and then I accelerated to 2mph and let off all the pedals. The car is actually using MORE power than if you were e.g. using Creep + friction brake, as it appears that it is indeed literally spinning the motor in the opposite direction at low speed to combat the forward movement. That’s why I’m seeing power being USED in the bar while coming to a stop. As soon as the car came to a 0mph/stop, I felt the friction brakes grab and hold.

So, as far as I’m concerned this new Hold mode uses MORE power than any other mode, but conserves your brake pads further.

It's possible it's just the heater, that also causes the power meter to fluctuate a bit, even at stop.

No, not literally, or the wheels would be going backwards. Just the power is going backwards.

Huh? If it’s engaging the motor to spin the opposite direction just enough to counteract “gravity” of the car rolling down the hill, it is indeed spinning the motor the opposite direction (reverse). Just because the motor doesn’t go into actual reverse (taking you back up the hill) doesn’t mean it’s not “spinning” in the other direction.

Think of it like a ceiling fan rotating clockwise at speed. You can make it rotate counterclockwise with the switch or remote etc. The fan will then reverse its motor but the blades don’t just immediately spin the other way if it’s already spinning clockwise.

Last edited: