Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cstork Not likely if it can be remedied by slightly weighting steering to the right.
Also my Model 3 has never yet avoided any potholes (bump bump).

But actually the car drives a lot like a human, not centering perfectly. It's just that when the car does it, and not you, it's annoying.

Maybe try holding wheel in AS with a tiny pull to the right?

Reactions: cstork
I also noticed the ping ponging and other complaints with 40.2.1.

I haven't yet come across anyone complaining about a power drop though. I feel like I got a nice boost with the prior release (5% more power) and in my Model 3 Long Range RWD I could even hear the extra power (motor electric whine made slightly more noise). Now after this update, the extra power seems gone (It was breaking rear wheel traction a bit and now a bit less so). I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that? Given the changes for the new $2K power boost on AWD cars, I'm wondering if something changed on the RWD cars to limit their power back down?

Reactions: navguy12
I also noticed the ping ponging and other complaints with 40.2.1.

I haven't yet come across anyone complaining about a power drop though. I feel like I got a nice boost with the prior release (5% more power) and in my Model 3 Long Range RWD I could even hear the extra power (motor electric whine made slightly more noise). Now after this update, the extra power seems gone (It was breaking rear wheel traction a bit and now a bit less so). I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that? Given the changes for the new $2K power boost on AWD cars, I'm wondering if something changed on the RWD cars to limit their power back down?
I thought I was the only one who "felt" an unspecified power drop with this release as well. (LR RWD as well)

Reactions: SunCharged
They should offer up the performance model software for those of us with the LR AWD with FSD that aren't (and won't for a while) getting what we were led to believe we were getting by their marketing efforts. I'd make that trade. A refund would also work.

FWIW, I don't get ping ponging; new lane changing is great; I get the phantom hard braking on the highway for no apparent reason; traffic cones are often missed and/or other objects are mistaken for cones; stop sign/red light warnings don't work. HW3; 40.2.

totally agree they should comp us early FSD purchasers (especially the day one crowd who were pulled through the paid more than everyone else fiasco). at this point and considering that situation there is no way i would pay an extra 2k for a few tenths of a second acceleration. it's almost a guarantee they will half price in 6 mos to try pulling in the stragglers or give it away for free to try boosting sales.

its pretty obvious this was software limited from the start.

would be good to hear from hw3 people also having the ping pong issue or not. i'm thinking it might just be us still on 2.5.

took a test drive in a friend's new m3 with hw3 and wow how much smoother, higher update rate and more complete the modeling of other cars and cones and lane markers is. really wish they would finally perform this upgrade for us.

Last edited:
For those that haven't experienced ping-ponging in lanes yet : try the far left/right lanes where the divider/wall is close on either side. Or look what the car is doing while overtaking a semi on either side.

For me its obvious on left HOV lane where divider wall is very close on the left side (San Diego area).

Perhaps auto steer is responding to small pressure on the wheel so you can influence position in the lane. If you vary the pressure, you get the ping-ponging.
On one hand, if this were true I would tend to be toward the left side of the lane nearly all the time, as that's the hand I have hanging off the wheel.

On the other hand, I suspect you may be able to nudge Autosteer correctively: I can seemingly sometimes "hold" the car along the line I want it to follow when the other lane line pulls away for an exit or turning lane without breaking out of Autosteer.

This has got to be partially related to the "avoid large vehicles" behavior, but maybe not entirely. I've had a mild sway in the lane since the update, but yesterday I found myself between a work van and a semi for a few minutes, and the car was swerving back and forth trying to avoid both simultaneously. I was afraid if a cop saw they would have pulled me over for drunk driving.

This has got to be partially related to the "avoid large vehicles" behavior, but maybe not entirely. I've had a mild sway in the lane since the update, but yesterday I found myself between a work van and a semi for a few minutes, and the car was swerving back and forth trying to avoid both simultaneously. I was afraid if a cop saw they would have pulled me over for drunk driving.
I've noticed the same. This isn't the "ping pong" behavior from early AP2 releases. This is more like a scared driver that constantly overreacts to nearby cars. With early AP2, the car would move back and forth between the lines but the steering was very gradual. With the latest update, there are constant, quick and unnecessary steering wheel movements.

I've noticed the same. This isn't the "ping pong" behavior from early AP2 releases. This is more like a scared driver that constantly overreacts to nearby cars. With early AP2, the car would move back and forth between the lines but the steering was very gradual. With the latest update, there are constant, quick and unnecessary steering wheel movements.
Yes this is what it is doing. I said this same thing. It’s just like it’s nervous

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That was my first thought as well. They introduced some sensitivity to cars in adjacent lanes, or obstacles close to the edge of the lane, so it naturally overcorrects a bit. They’ll get it dialed in.
With the previous release, it seemed much better. I would only notice it would move over once in a while if a large vehicle passed. Now it is jerking back and forth constantly. It reminds me of my senior citizen father's over-reactions when he drives.

Reactions: copyhacker
in my case, with 40.2.1, what is does as soon as I hit the road and engage AP is to:
-for 3 to 5 seconds slowly zig-zag, like an oscilation, maybe 10cm to each side
-for 3 to 5 seconds, drive straight, no problem
-start over

I also got quite a bit of phantom deceleration back, and now in the middle of nowhere (before it used to be on overpasses)

Worst performance since I bought the car in july

The new 40.2.1 causes phantom breaking on hills, and does not slow down for turns and certainty does not read speed limit signs or stop signs or stop lights on AP3 at least in my LRDM 2019. Those functions appear to be related to what Google maps shows

With the previous release, it seemed much better. I would only notice it would move over once in a while if a large vehicle passed. Now it is jerking back and forth constantly. It reminds me of my senior citizen father's over-reactions when he drives.
Definately agree with how quickly (jerky) it moves over for a large vehicle. Seems they could smooth that out quite a bit (slightly earlier and later movement at a slow shift pace). It seems abrupt. If there was an option to turn it off then I would. Doesn't seem to happen if you are in the leftmost or rightmost lane tho.

Not noticing the ping ponging per say, but since the latest update, my car has been phantom braking a lot. I understand they added a new feature to slow down the car when adjacent lanes are going a lot slower, but this happens to me with no cars to my adjacent lanes.

Even when the right lane is going slower than my own and the car slows down as this new feature instructs, it slows quickly and beyond what a normal driver would do. Why would I want my car to slow down to 35 mph abruptly from 70 on a freeway? I've almost been rear-ended because of this, and it's quite embarrassing. Slowing a bit makes sense, but this much is adding more danger than safety in my experience.

Also, since this update and for the first time, I had to intervene on an auto-lane change during navigate on autopilot because my car was about to cut someone off that was about to pass me in the lane I was going to change into. The car was so close by the time the car decided to change lanes that I may have clipped it's front end if I didn't react and yank the wheel. The weird thing is, when my signal came on with the notice it was going to change lanes, the screen showed the lane markers and approaching car as red, so I thought it was going to just wait for that car to pass first. Nope! I recorded the video and reviewed it later to see how close it actually was and it was indeed going to nearly clip the front of the car who's lane I was trying to get into.