Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFI.COM progress -- 3:30pm CT
Hrx1Y6n.jpg
And at the moment Stats shows 15.0% of the Model 3 fleet on 40.2.1, 6.6% on other 40 variants, and 44.7% on 36.2.4. Coming along.

Anyone else experiencing AP ping ponging in the lane since this update?

Not me (I’m on 2019.40.2.1 now).

One major improvement I’ve noticed is in two-to-one lane merging on an on-ramp.
The car doesn’t jerk into the middle too early (after the lane markings disappear) anymore.
It stays close to the outside lane marking until the path ahead truly narrows to one lane.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Anyone without AP or FSD notice lane changing notifications have gone away with this most recent update?

Prior to the update when turning on blinker, with a car in the lane you'd be transitioning to, the lane line would flash red to signal an obstruction. Basically the same thing as a mirror notification that's standard in most other vehicles at this point.

When changing lanes today that notification is not happening.

Anyone else notice? Or is it just me?

TIA

Just completed a long drive on 40.2 (not 40.2.1). And all of the problems I experienced the day I got the release are so much worse in so many more areas. Which really makes me appreciate highways near me.

First, the ping-pong is absolutely awful. And the lateral loads when entering and exiting a curve are inexcusably bad. If the car needs to jerk the wheel to follow a lane on the highway that has a gentle bend in it, then I'd say their radius prediction code has regressed back to pre-release quality levels.

Next, lane detection seems to have some pretty serious issues. I first noticed when my car started driving over rumble strips on the left side of the high speed lane because the lane marker was broken up. The car used to know how to interpret this and kept itself in the lane. Now it just veers toward the edge of the road surface, and then jerks back into the lane when the lane markers show up again. This is a massive regression, and a total failure in my book.

Further to that, I was driving down a lane that had new, temporary markers placed on the road surface. The car totally ignored them, even though the original lane markers were scratched up and removed. If there were cars around me, I wouldn't have let it go so badly wrong, but I was curious just how terrible it would perform. At 65 MPH, not following a lane is beyond dangerous, and I consider this another failure.

The auto wipers I previously reported as working better during daytime seem to work haphazardly. Sometimes they're much better. Other times they wipe a dry windscreen for no reason. Still at other times they'll just not wipe at all no matter how much water is on the windscreen. So, it seems like maybe we'll finally start getting some training data for wipers, and maybe this time next year they won't be terrible. Maybe.

Speed reduction still seems to have odd corner cases, and now it's doing them on purpose. This is probably a really hard thing to get right, since the car doesn't really understand (like a person) what's going on around it. So I got times when passing a truck meant my car wanted to go as slow as the trailer. and other times it ignored the truck until I was adjacent with its front fender. Of course, at that point the car jerked left to weave away from a truck that was completely in its own lane, and then jerked back so now it looks to the truck driver that I'm about to cut into their lane. This is a totally useless feature, and Tesla needs to remove it. The speed reduction needs major improvements.

In all, I'd say there are perhaps two new features introduced and they brought along a raft of negative behaviors and performance regressions.

Finally got to the V3 here in Las Vegas at The Linq. I got the car down to 26%, pre-conditioned after driving for at least an hour and a half running errands. It took off pretty fast but maxed at 127kW.

I have a June 2019 SR+ w/ FSD.

Attachments

• 6EA6C2DA-6BB2-4A20-922E-B8B4A68A6DE1.jpeg
    6EA6C2DA-6BB2-4A20-922E-B8B4A68A6DE1.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 98898837-F2FE-4727-A277-FBBCC9D07DED.jpeg
    98898837-F2FE-4727-A277-FBBCC9D07DED.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 70
  • D84F7099-8A78-4012-88FC-D96858C29273.jpeg
    D84F7099-8A78-4012-88FC-D96858C29273.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 59
Just completed a long drive on 40.2 (not 40.2.1). And all of the problems I experienced the day I got the release are so much worse in so many more areas. Which really makes me appreciate highways near me.

First, the ping-pong is absolutely awful. And the lateral loads when entering and exiting a curve are inexcusably bad. If the car needs to jerk the wheel to follow a lane on the highway that has a gentle bend in it, then I'd say their radius prediction code has regressed back to pre-release quality levels.

Next, lane detection seems to have some pretty serious issues. I first noticed when my car started driving over rumble strips on the left side of the high speed lane because the lane marker was broken up. The car used to know how to interpret this and kept itself in the lane. Now it just veers toward the edge of the road surface, and then jerks back into the lane when the lane markers show up again. This is a massive regression, and a total failure in my book.

Further to that, I was driving down a lane that had new, temporary markers placed on the road surface. The car totally ignored them, even though the original lane markers were scratched up and removed. If there were cars around me, I wouldn't have let it go so badly wrong, but I was curious just how terrible it would perform. At 65 MPH, not following a lane is beyond dangerous, and I consider this another failure.

The auto wipers I previously reported as working better during daytime seem to work haphazardly. Sometimes they're much better. Other times they wipe a dry windscreen for no reason. Still at other times they'll just not wipe at all no matter how much water is on the windscreen. So, it seems like maybe we'll finally start getting some training data for wipers, and maybe this time next year they won't be terrible. Maybe.

Speed reduction still seems to have odd corner cases, and now it's doing them on purpose. This is probably a really hard thing to get right, since the car doesn't really understand (like a person) what's going on around it. So I got times when passing a truck meant my car wanted to go as slow as the trailer. and other times it ignored the truck until I was adjacent with its front fender. Of course, at that point the car jerked left to weave away from a truck that was completely in its own lane, and then jerked back so now it looks to the truck driver that I'm about to cut into their lane. This is a totally useless feature, and Tesla needs to remove it. The speed reduction needs major improvements.

In all, I'd say there are perhaps two new features introduced and they brought along a raft of negative behaviors and performance regressions.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed report. I hope the .1 addresses some of that. I'll know tomorrow night when I take it out for 100 miles or so.

Anyone else experiencing AP ping ponging in the lane since this update?
Omg yes. On 40.2 sometimes it’s like the car is drunk. Specially near semi trucks. Before it would gracefully move over in the lane to give room now it’s more of jerk over and then back it’s almost as if it’s unsettled or not “comfortable” in the lane. However it does handle lane widening and 2-1 lane changes much much much better. It stays on it’s track until the lane is just about back to normal then it centers. That was the first thing I notice last week with 40.1.1 and it got better with 40.2. Comparing to our P3D+ when it had 36.2.4. Haven’t got to try our HW3 but the hw2.5 for sure is ping pong around.

Reactions: McFlurri
Finally got to the V3 here in Las Vegas at The Linq. I got the car down to 26%, pre-conditioned after driving for at least an hour and a half running errands. It took off pretty fast but maxed at 127kW.

I have a June 2019 SR+ w/ FSD.
Did you navigate to the supercharger via the car? It will take 20+ miles of driving to get the battery warm while navigating to the supercharger

So far, so good on 40.2.1. Besides the well-documented lane changes, my keyless/phone entry finally works again. It was failing 80% of the time on all 36.x variants, so hooray for that!

I also swear it handles better on normal, non-autopilot driving, but I can’t put my finger on anything.

I was excited to try out 200 kw supercharging on my MR, but turns out my local supercharger is only a 72KW charger and I drew 36KW at 40% SOC. Boo hoo.

Did you navigate to the supercharger via the car? It will take 20+ miles of driving to get the battery warm while navigating to the supercharger

I did, yes via the car while running errands and then had a 22min route to the charger. I had the heat on too to really get the battery going.

Also, If you don't follow the route (take a significant detour) the preconditioning will abort.

I had it running multiple times throughout the afternoon and then I actually took the route it wanted. Bummer I topped out at 127kW but I’ll try again as I work close enough to the Strip that going to the V3 isn’t really out of my way. Maybe at a lower SoC will do the trick.

Has anyone who has updated to 40.2 in the past few days subsequently been pushed 40.2.1?

I know it was already asked before but now I'm curious. Has anyone that got the 40.2 update subsequently got updated to 40.2.1? I'm wondering if there is some sort of A/B testing going on where a bunch of people get 40.2 and a bunch got 40.2.1 and then Tesla reviews data to see which is working better.

I got 2019.40.2 3 days ago. Just updated to 2019.40.2.1 about an hour ago. Model 3 LR RWD.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and Potpourri
Got this update in my AWD LR M3 yesterday. I like the less tentative lane changes, but now it gets in the left lane to go around traffic and never goes back. The right lane will be clear and we're going at target speed, but it just stays there. And speaking of target speeds, 95% of my daily commute is on a freeway that is under construction. The construction speed is lower than the posted speed, so I always have to engage AP then click down to the desired target speed. Because of the construction there are many places where AP decides it needs to go even slower. I just keep alert so I can step on the accelerator and prevent it from slowing. That was the limit of the annoyance before. It used to go back to my set speed after whatever freaked it out and I would just let off the pedal. Now, it always goes back to what it thinks is the posted speed limit and I have to reclick it back down to the construction speed limit.

AWD LR

Downloaded 40.2.1 last night and the lane changes are as good as everyone is saying

also feels like auto steer is much tighter and the display is not showing “shaky” semi trucks as I pass them (made it look like they were over the line)

however, I see nothing happening about stop sign or stop light recognition.