Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 40.2.1 today, took it for a test drive. Stop sign warning works fine (I have HW3), even at a country-bumpkin STOP location, so it seems to me the car is detecting the signs using camera rather than map data (or maybe both). Mention this as a few posts/videos I have seen were claiming car was using a database of known stop sign locations.

I got 40.2.1 offer this morning and ran into some strange behavior when installing. I drove to lunch and then used the in-car menu to install while I ate. Triple-tapped the button to skip the count down. Got out and ate lunch. Half-way through lunch, I opened the app to check the progress and it didn't indicate it was installing at all! I used the app to install, but it wouldn't install....it just spin the little icon and came back. After lunch, went to the car and it WAS updating? Maybe? Got in the car, black screen for about 3 minutes, then Telsa logo. Then it showed the green download arrow (indicating download was avail). Strange, because it already had downloaded. I didn't have time to try again and as I put it in DRIVE, the release notes popped up...So 40.2.1 did get installed, but quite strange. I did also confirm that the auto lane changes are far more confident and I love it.

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
I agree, if they continue to allow Autosteer on city streets it will probably stop automatically, when Autosteer is active, but as a panic/emergency stop with lots of bells and alarms. Where if you purchased FSD it would graceful stop and then continue when appropriate. If they don't geofence Autosteer I don't think FSD will offer enough value for most people.

There might not be the value today in FSD but was never about today. There is a big difference with NOA today and when we have NOA in cities there will be a bigger difference. The current Autosteer on city streets is really just lane keeping and some breaking. FSD will be so much more I see no need for geofence. In my view if they geofenced it would be opening up a bag of worms for the regulators, The are already trying to shut AP down.

The wipers - a review.

I live in Oregon, where it's rainy, more drizzly, 6 months out of the year. And today was a great day to test the wipers out. Prior to today, the wipers would barely work at all, and I'd be virtually blind before they go, then, WIPE. And then for a few seconds I'd be ok .... then I'd be wondering "when are the wipers going to go again ...." and I'd be blindish for a few seconds. Repeat. Sigh.

If I knew exactly where I was going, it might be ok, otherwise, it would be very very bad. So I'd usually give up and just set the wipers to "1" or "2" depending on how much it was drizzling outside.

Today, that was all gone. The intermittent wipers, all "auto", worked great at low speeds. They seemed to be fantastic. However, we traded one problem for another I believe - the problem now is that the system doesn't seem to correlate pattern with speed. At low speeds an "auto" equivalent of "2" works great, but when I speed up to 60mph, the wipers don't also speed up.

There really needs to be some basic logic tied to the neural net. It's not like rain falls slower when you speed up; the reverse is clearly true. The system seemed to be perpetually stuck at the manual equivalent of "2" and never moved to the manual equivalent of "3" where it was constantly moving, despite me going to the highway and being bombarded with other cars spray. It became unusable again.

For the record, I spent a few miles pressing the manual button and yelling at Tesla and getting my frustrations out. It was pretty dumb that it couldn't recognize a copious amount of spray/rain or the speed I was traveling. I expected Autopilot to freak out from not being able to see the lane. If Tesla really learns from how people are manually wiping on "auto", then they got a ton of samples from me.

The wiper system is incrementally better for sure, but I'm really annoyed at some of the logic that isn't being used here. We really need simple neural net logic IN COMBINATION with "hey you're going 60, you really need faster wipes no matter what"

Also, I'm going to say it again here, having to futz around with the wiper system when you can't see the road in front of you is dangerous, Tesla. I get that we can press the button but I freaking want a handsfree way to turn the damn wiper blades on (equivalent of "3" - normal constant wiping) - I don't think that's too much to ask. Either that or add some real smarts to the system. When the system won't wipe fast enough to enable you to see and you're being overtaken by 18 wheelers and your vision is just gone is not the time to take your eyes off the road. (and speeding up when you can't see isn't a great option either)

The wipers - a review.
There really needs to be some basic logic tied to the neural net. It's not like rain falls slower when you speed up; the reverse is clearly true. The system seemed to be perpetually stuck at the manual equivalent of "2" and never moved to the manual equivalent of "3" where it was constantly moving, despite me going to the highway and being bombarded with other cars spray. It became unusable again.
Reminds me of...
Mythbusters running in the rain - mythbusters running in the rain - Google Search
Mythbusters driving in the rain

I got 40.2.1 offer this morning and ran into some strange behavior when installing. I drove to lunch and then used the in-car menu to install while I ate. Triple-tapped the button to skip the count down. Got out and ate lunch. Half-way through lunch, I opened the app to check the progress and it didn't indicate it was installing at all! I used the app to install, but it wouldn't install....it just spin the little icon and came back. After lunch, went to the car and it WAS updating? Maybe? Got in the car, black screen for about 3 minutes, then Telsa logo. Then it showed the green download arrow (indicating download was avail). Strange, because it already had downloaded. I didn't have time to try again and as I put it in DRIVE, the release notes popped up...So 40.2.1 did get installed, but quite strange. I did also confirm that the auto lane changes are far more confident and I love it.
The same happened to me for the last update.

Really? I haven't seen anyone report that. I have just seen lots of people, like you, complaining that they got a new firmware update and still haven't seen a range increase...

I was only referring to your claim of the increase for AWD. Which you haven't shown anything for. (And no Elon did not say they were increasing the range on the LR AWD fleet during the 2019Q3 call.)
First I wasn’t complaining, I just said I was curious about it. That’s all. Please don’t start internet fights when it’s nothing to argue about it. From someone family that works for Tesla at headquarters it’s not been stated clearly if either. It was stated that new firmwares would be coming that will increase range performance and add new feature there was no timeline added. Hell the model S still hasn’t got that 50hp update. And far as I know none of the new LR AWD have shown over 310. Again I could be wrong but no one was complaining about anything. So you can relax. Lol.

2019 P3D- FSD HW3: I got the update last night at work and had a nice hour+ long commute to test out the new autopilot features.

Lane changes are definitely sharper once they start going. But do not seem able to get into smaller gaps. Manually initiated lane changes start almost immediately and are very nice. But auto lane changes still take a good few seconds to go, doesn't seem like they start any faster.

The adjacent lane works well. Doesn't slow down when in the HOV lane, but does in other circumstances. The slow down is pretty gradual however, it won't slam on the brakes to match speed.

I also notice that there were some "Moving into faster lane" auto lane changes that would pass on the right. I'm in the NYC area so that is a welcome change.

Additionally there are several interchanged that are much improve in NoA that either didn't work well or NoA didn't work at all. Promising the see steady improvement in that area.

It was also raining and the wipers worked quite well. Light-Med rain and didn't have to manually adjust at all.

Lastly, I had the autopilot/FSD computer seemingly crash. While driving to AP enganged, the wheel warning came up and AP completely disengaged. No car were shown on the screen for several minutes and then would all suddenly come back. Interesting the wipers would not work during this time, so it seems they are definitely utilizing the FSD computer. This happened 3-4 times, I pulled over to wipe off all the cameras and it didn't happen for the remainder of the trip.

I've driven in similar conditions in the past and hadn't experienced this issue before, so it seems it may be related to the update. Wondering what others impressions of the update are.