Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you that I don't feel any tugging left or right when going straight. The only time the wheel turns is when it is supposed to.

I am thinking this is a calibration issue. If someone wanted to experiment with doing a factory reset and seeing if it stops the ping pong, that would be a strong indication. Then again, it might have no effect. In any case, this will hopefully be solved in a future update.

I had a problem with the oscillation while going down the road. I read somewhere on this site that if you shut the system down (not by depressing the two scroll buttons, but instead by using the power down button) and keep it shut down for 2 minutes, it will initiate a recalibration. I did this and noticed an improvement after the system allowed autopilot again. It took about 40 minutes of driving down the interstate before my car allowed autopilot again, but as I said, the ping-pong effect was much improved.

I had a problem with the oscillation while going down the road. I read somewhere on this site that if you shut the system down (not by depressing the two scroll buttons, but instead by using the power down button) and keep it shut down for 2 minutes, it will initiate a recalibration. I did this and noticed an improvement after the system allowed autopilot again. It took about 40 minutes of driving down the interstate before my car allowed autopilot again, but as I said, the ping-pong effect was much improved.

Interesting about AP recalibrating after a power down. I've used power down a few times to not drain battery when I have to keep the door open. It was a lot longer than two minutes though. I don't remember seeing the "calibrating" notice afterwards.

That's really interesting. I'm tempted to try it, but don't want to run the risk of resetting everything and losing my no-nag freedom :D

That's really interesting. I'm tempted to try it, but don't want to run the risk of resetting everything and losing my no-nag freedom :D

...before 'nap mode' there was 'power down and hope no one sees you napping in car at lunch time mode'. So I've done that many times, ehem. I've never noticed any re-calibration and the ping/ponging is still there. I never had this before the recent updates (50.x I think). I tend to have my left hand rest lightly on wheel and it is very noticeable that wheel is moving up and down, very rhythmically.

I personally find it un-nerving. Even thought the car may not visibly (or it may?) be bouncing, the tactile feedback starts to play on my mind it feels like I'm all over place.

It's most noticeable on long stretches.

Does anyone find it curious that we’re all on a firmware that is based on week 40 of 2019, more than three months ago?

My gut says they’re sitting on some big stuff that’s going to use the HW3 computer and holding back a bit until they can get geared up for retrofits.

Once some noteworthy FSD features arrive everyone is going to flood the SCs demanding the computer.

Reactions: scottf200
Does anyone find it curious that we’re all on a firmware that is based on week 40 of 2019, more than three months ago?

My gut says they’re sitting on some big stuff that’s going to use the HW3 computer and holding back a bit until they can get geared up for retrofits.

Once some noteworthy FSD features arrive everyone is going to flood the SCs demanding the computer.
I certainly hope that's the case but I'm fairly doubtful actually.

I hope so too, I guess we'll see...

TeslaFI with 6565 Tesla Model 3s is a pretty good statistical representation. 98.4% on 2019.40.*

bQlMA40.jpg

Recently installed the .7 version of 2019.40.50.x, my 3 did not receive any of the earlier versions. My car now does something that it has never done before: when I have the nav set to my home as the destination and the car while on NOA automatically takes the freeway exit nearest my house, if I leave it on NOA after it take the exit the car will come to a stop at the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp. The deceleration is gradual, but it clearly stops at the correct place, a few feet before the white line marking where to stop. This occurs when there is no vehicle in front of me on the exit ramp.

Before this version it would just go through the stop sign if I let it, which of course I never did. My 3 has EAP with HW2.5 (took delivery Aug 2019) not FSD.

Note: since my car is HW2.5 I do not see the latest Driving Visualization improvements; the display does not show stop signs, stop lights, cones, etc. But it appears that the car does detect the stop sign at the end of that exit ramp. I need to try it on other exit ramps when on NOA set to different destinations.

Recently installed the .7 version of 2019.40.50.x, my 3 did not receive any of the earlier versions. My car now does something that it has never done before: when I have the nav set to my home as the destination and the car while on NOA automatically takes the freeway exit nearest my house, if I leave it on NOA after it take the exit the car will come to a stop at the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp. The deceleration is gradual, but it clearly stops at the correct place, a few feet before the white line marking where to stop. This occurs when there is no vehicle in front of me on the exit ramp.

Before this version it would just go through the stop sign if I let it, which of course I never did. My 3 has EAP with HW2.5 (took delivery Aug 2019) not FSD.

Note: since my car is HW2.5 I do not see the latest Driving Visualization improvements; the display does not show stop signs, stop lights, cones, etc. But it appears that the car does detect the stop sign at the end of that exit ramp. I need to try it on other exit ramps when on NOA set to different destinations.

Here's a reddit thread- from 2018- about it doing this (stopping at the end of an exit ramp with perpendicular traffic if you don't press accelerator to resume)

Drive On Nav comes to a complete stop at stop sign : teslamotors

This is what mine has done at the exit ramp near my house since roughly then as well.

The car clearly tells you to press the accelerator to resume.

FWIW for the exit ramp near my house if I DO press it to resume before it has actually reached the perp. traffic/stop sign one of two things happens:

A) If there's a car in front of me it'll "follow" that car and make the right at the stop sign and keep going on standard AP

B) If there's not it'll keep going at 25 mph to the stop sign then FREAK THE HELL OUT with the red steering wheel and alert noises and tell me to take over immediately since it can see going "straight" isn't viable since there's a service station across the street in front of you after you'd cross the opposing lane and it isn't designed or intended to "understand" a normal stop sign right turn.

If yours was NOT doing this pretty much since you took delivery I can only assume the map for the ramp wasn't quite right and has recently been updated.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I was unable to use the dictation to type in YouTube search. Didn’t try the keyboard anywhere else to test the dictation feature though.

I just installed 40.50.7 and was trying out all of the voice commands and noticed a couple ones missing that I thought should work:
  • Turn on/off ambient lights doesn’t do anything
  • Turn on/off headlights didn’t do anything
  • Open/close windows didn’t work
  • Open frunk/trunk didn’t work
I don’t know if these were just bugs but I did get a “command not recognized” prompt when I tried these.