Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some additional information to take a picture of the label of your battery pack. The entry point is on the right side of the car with the wheels turned fully to the left, like on the picture. To properly illuminate and facilitate the focusing of the camera, I also used a head light, placed on the protective undercover.
I have a 2020 LR.

20201227_112223.jpg

20201227_114602.jpg

20201227_112025.jpg

Some additional information to take a picture of the label of your battery pack. The entry point is on the right side of the car with the wheels turned fully to the left, like on the picture. To properly illuminate and facilitate the focusing of the camera, I also used a head light, placed on the protective undercover.
I have a 2020 LR.

View attachment 621411
View attachment 621412
View attachment 621413

Thanks! That’s exactly the method I proposed. I should have put together this type of “how-to” a while ago. Hopefully we’ll get a bit more of that battery label info now!

OK, so my car says 492km when charged to 100%
3.6kW charging, checked immediately after it was finished

So, with the caveat that the battery could still be a bit chilly and throw things off slightly (no idea), you seem a bit on the low side for initial capacity at around 79.6kWh (this is just approximate).

Wouldn’t worry about it too much - you are within 1kWh. But long term you might expect to be perhaps 4-5km below others as a consequence. All depends on how your battery ages. Some do better than others, for no apparent reason (seems to have little to do with how they are used).

I still expect a constant adjustment for the Performance at some point, and maybe a bit more capacity to be released, but we’ll see what happens. It’s hard to say.

So, with the caveat that the battery could still be a bit chilly and throw things off slightly (no idea), you seem a bit on the low side for initial capacity at around 79.6kWh (this is just approximate).

Wouldn’t worry about it too much - you are within 1kWh. But long term you might expect to be perhaps 4-5km below others as a consequence. All depends on how your battery ages. Some do better than others, for no apparent reason (seems to have little to do with how they are used).

I still expect a constant adjustment for the Performance at some point, and maybe a bit more capacity to be released, but we’ll see what happens. It’s hard to say.
I'm not worried. Compared to my previous 2020 TM3P I can already see improvements due to the heat pump. A drive which would usually eat up 170km of range now only reduces by 145km, and that's with brand new winter tires.
I estimate a max range of 450km for the performance in real world scenarios, anything more is a bonus

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just a supposition: Is the "-P" at the end of E3D battery pack reference could be signature of new Panasonic cells ?

No, this is just the revision code. It’s been incrementing for a while. Minor revisions to the part, will likely not be associated with the cell vendor (but we will see).

Especially after the recent update, shouldn't he get 565km (EPA) ?

He has an E3D (IIRC) but for unknown reasons some of these are limited to 75kWh. This is covered earlier in this thread, in any case.

Reactions: Npap