Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this helps - I got the attached graphic from a sales contact @ Tesla for my UK M3P that's due to be delivered mid March.

A live chat agent confirmed the car had Ryzen and 15v low voltage lithium battery.

Tesla4.JPG

Was it charged until it stopped?
Quite high imbalance, and not that high voltage. was lights and AC/heating on?

(Cell temps indicate that the charging didnt just finish but the battery did cool down?)
It said Charge complete about 30 minutes prior, but kept on charging with about 6kW down to 0kw for another 20 minutes. It took me about 10 minutes to install the diagnostic gear, install my tablet on the dash, wiring. So the car has been sitting for about 10 minutes with HVAC on, until I took this screenshot.

This battery pack will calibrate towards 79,#kWh in the next weeks. That's pretty certain, but I will keep you updated.

Yes, the E5LD 2022 Performance is expected to be faster than the E3LD 2021/2022 Performance due to the higher power limit of the rear motor. So far none have been delivered to Europe though. If my M3P in March is the expected E5LD I can compare the who back to back, since I still own a Q4/2021 E3LD Performance.
I am about to receive my Model 3 Performance with a build date of 09/01/2022, does this mean it will have the more powerful motor?

Probably not. Cars with built dates into mid January were all still equipped with the Panasonic 82kWh pack and Drive Unit Cat 2, which is the new rear motor, but limited to the M3P power limits.
That's a shame as it seems like a decent power jump with the new LG battery

So my VIN is LRW3F7EL4NC485XXX and looking at the VIN breakdown you've posted before I think the E means something like a Ternary system Li-on battery? and the L means something like the 3#DP variant motor?
None of it makes sense to me. How do I know for sure or can I check somehow after it's delivered?

PS. I also have the engine numbers on the invoice Front:TG321338002V2T Rear:TG322009002M20 for what it's worth?

And I thought the new battery with the AMD Ryzen was the reason why the range is reduced on 2022 models?

Last edited:
And I thought the new battery with the AMD Ryzen was the reason why the range is reduced on 2022 models?
Range was lowered in preparation for the new lower capacity battery, but they over-deliver in the short term. This gives them the flexibility to move to the LG when they run out of Panasonic batteries without someone getting a lower range than what they thought when ordering.

Reactions: eivissa
Range was lowered in preparation for the new lower capacity battery, but they over-deliver in the short term. This gives them the flexibility to move to the LG when they run out of Panasonic batteries without someone getting a lower range than what they thought when ordering.
I wouldn’t call it over-delivering, especially since I agreed to the range drop and would much prefer extra power over a bit of range. I wonder if I can skip this delivery?

I wouldn’t call it over-delivering, especially since I agreed to the range drop and would much prefer extra power over a bit of range. I wonder if I can skip this delivery?
Delivery has been booked for next Wednesday, I asked my advisor about the battery but no response yet,

Can someone help me with a charging question. I have seen so many recommendations about not charging to 100% so I keep mine at 90%. That said I am planning on a long trip and would like to charge it to 100. Any reason not to do it once in awhile as needed? I know it's not recommended to regularly charge to that percentage but ok to do once in awhile as needed?

Also, I noticed that the charging app allows me to reduce the AMPs from a max of 32. Will reducing the amps help maintain battery life? If so I'm happy to lower it even if it means longer charging time...

Can someone help me with a charging question. I have seen so many recommendations about not charging to 100% so I keep mine at 90%. That said I am planning on a long trip and would like to charge it to 100. Any reason not to do it once in awhile as needed? I know it's not recommended to regularly charge to that percentage but ok to do once in awhile as needed?

Also, I noticed that the charging app allows me to reduce the AMPs from a max of 32. Will reducing the amps help maintain battery life? If so I'm happy to lower it even if it means longer charging time...
Use a trip planner like ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, and plug in your trip. You'll find that the fastest trips, are when you drive fast, and supercharge at low SOCs, like between 10 and 15%. Charging back up to 60 to 75%. That's the sweet spot. Unless there's a long leg where there are no superchargers, you'll never get a recommendation to charge up to 100%. Of course, I'm talking about the LR models. Perhaps, with a SR+ there might be a long leg where you need to fully charge.

Over the summer, I took a 4400 mile roadtrip from Maine to Colorado and back, and I don't think I ever had to charge up past 85%. Usually 65%, while on the road.

Use a trip planner like ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, and plug in your trip. You'll find that the fastest trips, are when you drive fast, and supercharge at low SOCs, like between 10 and 15%. Charging back up to 60 to 75%. That's the sweet spot. Unless there's a long leg where there are no superchargers, you'll never get a recommendation to charge up to 100%. Of course, I'm talking about the LR models. Perhaps, with a SR+ there might be a long leg where you need to fully charge.

Over the summer, I took a 4400 mile roadtrip from Maine to Colorado and back, and I don't think I ever had to charge up past 85%. Usually 65%, while on the road.

Appreciate it...there are just some trips where 100% will be enough (85% may be too close and I don't want to waste time/money charging if not necessary). But good advice nonetheless.

Other handled what to do on road trips - what will make more of a difference is to keep your average SOC lower - @AAKEE has posted data (search his post history) that shows that keeping the SOC below ~55% when the car will be sitting for long periods of time reduces the rate of capacity loss over time, especially in hot temperatures.

In effect, the best thing to do is to always charge the car right before you leave and to only charge it enough to get to your next charging spot.

Now, doing this can be high maintenance, so in general for most people, I would say charge to the lowest SOC that gives you the most peace of mind.

No - at non-supercharging speeds (Level 2 charging speeds) there's no difference in reducing amps. If anything, if you have a regular departure time and use the departure timer, charging as fast as possible right before you leave should be best for battery life since that will reduce the average state of charge.

Reactions: AAKEE