Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the beta yesterday. I don't know about LA but here in Boston this is Alpha level. I had to disengage so many times in 40 minutes and almost hit a parked construction vehicle (night time). Nevertheless, I'm happy to contribute and I'm quite curious to see how fast it will progress.
Welcome to Massachusetts FSD beta oops I mean alpha testing :)

You may be right but I would be careful assuming claims made years ago are still pertinent now. We know for sure Tesla has rewritten FSD a couple of times and gone to a vision only system so the playing field is different now. Many of the engineer's criticism's may now be mute. Who really know until this play out for at least another year. By the end of 2022 we should know but betting against Elon is risky IMO. If I had to criticize it would be over the camera locations.

We also have to consider what impact Dojo may have.
Tesla releases Dojo whitepaper, Elon Musk teases as 'more important than it may seem'
It seems unlikely to me that such engineers would mute themselves, even if their points were moot.
This. I wish I could hit the like button more than once for this post and Nakk’s above post.
If only there were a button that meant more than "like" like maybe a "like like" button...

When I read your post, I was thinking about how Billerica revamped 3A/Boston Rd around the town center and how that might impact mapping and FSD behavior. tbh, i haven't been putting a lot of mental power into tying FSD behavior to potential mapping issues. I just disengage whenever the system does something stupid.

As you know, I did dig around OpenStreetMaps a bit, since there seems to be a popular consensus that some mapping data may be sourced from there, but so far I haven't found a smoking gun tying incorrect/missing data from OSM and FSD. That doesn't mean there might not be a problem with Tesla's map, but I'm not sure we can do much about it except report the issue.
I have mostly driven around well mapped areas (california), but drove in a very poorly/wrongly mapped area a few days ago. A lot of construction had recently created or removed whole road sections of an industrial warehouse area (that’s getting gentrified). Thankfully few cars around, but the car had a very hard time figuring out whether to follow navigation route (towards a removed road), or to just miss the turn and reroute. I had to intervene every 30 seconds or even more frequently. FSD beta was pretty much useless there, which is completely different from my typical experience so far.

Edit: I should also add this was at night time and many poorly lit sections still, so it would be interesting to return during daytime and see how it fares with brighter/better visibility.

Last edited:
Latest statement in the Q3 earnings call was that "it isn't about how much data we can collect, but how fast we can process it"

The onus is now being put on Dojo
Basically thats the next bottleneck for Tesla to overcome. Doesn't mean big data isn't important - its just a solved problem for Tesla.

For others it continues to be a problem (or more accurately will be a problem in the future as they chase rarer cases).

Seems like beta FSD loads and driving reports have fallen way off in recent days. Is the “bloom off the rose 🥀 “ already? With “Smart Summon,” the “bloom” was gone even quicker. Are you all still testing, or like me, now waiting for an improved release? Discussion.
I'm using it whenever I drive. But, disengage at busy intersections.

ps : I'm also recording - so I can make out what happened. Also, I can compare the video to what youtubers are putting out - that way I get a better understanding of their videos.

Now that in Seattle area we are back to normal programming a.k.a. rain, I'm seeing "bad weather - AP not available". But, FSD continues to work !

Today I had the dreaded - freeze midway on the street when turning left problem. Its the neighborhood road at 25 mph and low traffic. Not sure what happened, there were cars coming from the left and right - but at a distance. FSD decided to turn - and mid way stopped/disengaged.

ps : Hats off to people who have the nerve to try unprotected left on busy & fast roadways.

Never used to get bad weather warnings earlier in rain.

Sorry if these questions have been asked/answered, but didn't feel like reading 170 pages...
1. Why is the speed limit no longer showing up in FSD? I see my current speed and set point, but no longer see the speed limit.
2. Does the cruise distance setting no longer do anything? I realize that they reduced options to 2-7, but changing it seems to have no effect in FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and impastu
Seems like beta FSD loads and driving reports have fallen way off in recent days. Is the “bloom off the rose 🥀 “ already? With “Smart Summon,” the “bloom” was gone even quicker. Are you all still testing, or like me, now waiting for an improved release? Discussion.
I never really felt compelled to post a driving report, probably because I know I've made and forgotten so many interesting observations in just a few days, but I am still using 10.3.1 every time I drive. I think you mean the loads aren't daily anymore, but I should imagine that's to be expected considering that this is only the second version released publicly (treating 10.3 and 10.3.1 as the same version for this case, but not sure of the correct verbiage, minor?, significant?) and the behavior so far mirrors what they did with the first version released publicly (except for there was a separate few-days-late Yoke version at that point as you're well aware). Maybe loads will pick up over the next week until 10.4 releases and they slow down again, or maybe Tesla is being even more cautious after the AEB fiasco over the weekend. In any case, I don't understand the comparison to smart summon, it was publicly released before beta testing and improvements stopped, meanwhile, Musk has already tweeted about how 10.4 handles unprotected lefts better than 10.3.1, so we know new versions are still being developed, just like we know our version isn't publicly released.

I got the Beta install last night and used it for my 20 mile commute to work, and a trip out at lunch. It was very impressive! Drives far closer to the way I drive than non-FSD software. Handles street lights and flashing lights far better than before.

Indeed, I only have FSD since yesterday evening and I can hardly use it in traffic as the behavior is erratic (too fast in some areas, too slow in others, hesitations to turn when the way is clear, ...). Cars behind me must be wondering what is going on and I got honked few times already.
I will use it for now mostly when there's nobody around.

Go to the autopilot settings screen in the car, tap the “customize NAO” button, and set the NOA “speed-based lane changes” option to “disabled”. I leave “exit passing lane” to yes. That way only I can initiate passing and then, if needed, the car automatically changes out of the far left passing lane if I’m in it.

Previously I had it set to “mild” and it was regularly fighting me to change lanes even when I cancelled its lane changing attempts — it would sometimes immediate try again (and again and again).

This made all of the difference between my thinking “NOA is a useless POS” to “hey, I’m liking this!”.

I no longer require NOA lane changing confirmation and now have NOA set to “enable at start of every trip”.

Tesla needs to bring a similar setting to FSD.
Thinks for the feedback. I agree, I hope they add more of this to FSD Beta. I have been not been "enabling at start of every trip" (only tested few times testing it) but would like to start using it. I was also thinking maybe the SINGLE STACK (Elon says v11) might be better. But really don't want it changing lanes all the time unless it is changing freeways or getting off the freeway. When using it, it would try to change lanes because my lane is slowing but if you look to the right you will notice all lanes are slowing down. I live in SOCAL and the traffic can be brutal.

Reactions: jebinc
I see this posted online as part of the FSD v10.3 Release Notes:
Added FSD Profiles that allow drivers to control behaviors like rolling stops, exiting passing lanes, speed-based lane changes, following distance and yellow light headway.

Where exactly does one find/edit this profile?

I'd think 10.4 would be a pretty reasonable improvement considering all the video clips and emails I'm sure Tesla has received. I feel like I send 2-3 every time I drive
The comment about recognizing GATES in 10.4 is important to me. I live in a community with a gate about 100 yards from the street. It turns right into my community and really speeds up heading for the GATE. Of course I take over but would be "cool" for it to stop and go thru the GATE to my house.

Just got my Tessie back last night from a week of PPF and ceramic.
First few drives after a week off are better, I do see improvements, especially not turning into my neighborhood at 40 mph as 10.2 was doing and scaring the hell out of my neighbors and me!