Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If nothing else, having FSD Beta in customers' hands goes to show how meaningless anecdotal video clips of autonomous driving can be.

How many 20 minute uncut videos of Zoox and Cruise have we seen as evidence of them being real self-driving cars?

And it's pretty easy to make a 20 minute zero-disengagement video of FSD Beta, but we know that it still has a lot of development ahead of it:

Did you click accept software update on your app?
Where? When I first opened after the email, it said 50% downloaded with nothing to accept.

Normally after downloading, it would prompt me to begin install, but i didn't get that in app, nor in the car, it just went away.

And, it's downloading again.... leaving the app open this time,.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
I think my biggest issue is with the lane changes for no reason. NOA on freeways would do the same thing so mostly I did not use it.
Go to the autopilot settings screen in the car, tap the “customize NAO” button, and set the NOA “speed-based lane changes” option to “disabled”. I leave “exit passing lane” to yes. That way only I can initiate passing and then, if needed, the car automatically changes out of the far left passing lane if I’m in it.

Previously I had it set to “mild” and it was regularly fighting me to change lanes even when I cancelled its lane changing attempts — it would sometimes immediate try again (and again and again).

This made all of the difference between my thinking “NOA is a useless POS” to “hey, I’m liking this!”.

I no longer require NOA lane changing confirmation and now have NOA set to “enable at start of every trip”.

Tesla needs to bring a similar setting to FSD.

Wow, that one has quite a mix of features. Depending on going 'East|West' (more traffic & more lanes ) or 'North|Sourth'

8q5SkxD.jpg
have one similar to that near me except there is an extra road about where the purplse arrow is and sometime is 2 lanes and sometimes 3. Sometimes the outer lane must exit and sometimes not. Needless to say I haven't put FSD through that one yet. Hell; I know lots of people that avoid it like the plague using their own skill set.

And yes, that is a bridge going over that they decided to add about 20 years ago to increase the fun.

Snap1.jpg

never been to that one. looks nasty :D

Ever been to the double rotary on Fresh Pond (near start of Rt 2)? Total zoo.

Oh yeah! I drive through that area relatively frequently, but haven’t tried it with FSD yet. But I can predict people will honk their horns at me if it hesitates to enter the rotary. Lol

Reactions: impastu and nvx1977
If nothing else, having FSD Beta in customers' hands goes to show how meaningless anecdotal video clips of autonomous driving can be.

How many 20 minute uncut videos of Zoox and Cruise have we seen as evidence of them being real self-driving cars?

And it's pretty easy to make a 20 minute zero-disengagement video of FSD Beta, but we know that it still has a lot of development ahead of it:
The problem with Whole Mars Catalog drives he posts on YouTube are how simple they are compared to what I attempt. And I'm not even trying Boston yet.

Good example was tonight. When I returned home after a fairly poor FSD drive I reduced the speed limit from the posted 30mph to 10mph at one end of my street. FSD totally failed and blew by the street. Yes, that end of the street is obstructed big time by evergreens but it drove right past after braking hard. I'll try 5mph next time. FSD rerouted so it would try the other end of my street that is posted for 25mph. I slowed down to 15mph and same thing it blew by that end of the street after hard braking. No visibility problem at that end of the street and it makes it about 50% of the time. I made sure both times my hand never touched the wheel to insure I didn't accidently disengage.

I hope the Robotaxis services doesn't have to come pick me up at my house. I suppose I could just walk to the end of the street and wait.

I do like Whole Mars Catalogs drives though even if they are advertisements for FSD. Love his enthusiasm and support for Tesla.

have one similar to that near me except there is an extra road about where the purplse arrow is and sometime is 2 lanes and sometimes 3. Sometimes the outer lane must exit and sometimes not. Needless to say I haven't put FSD through that one yet. Hell; I know lots of people that avoid it like the plague using their own skill set.

And yes, that is a bridge going over that they decided to add about 20 years ago to increase the fun.

View attachment 726519
I know that circle. Nightmare

What Tesla's engineers have achieved is nothing short of remarkable. If Tesla's partial self-driving package had been marketed honestly instead of being mislabeled as "full" self-driving, we'd be on here talking about how mind-blowing this is. It's Elon Musk's overhyping that's leaving the sour taste in our mouths.

For the record Tesla's engineers were opposed to Elon's full self driving claims back in 2016. This is widely known here in Silicon Valley. Some of them, including engineers that I knew way back in grad school, were even fired for opposing Elon's claims. The engineers were right and Elon Musk was wrong.

Elon can't fool us anymore. We can see with our own eyes and in our own cars that they are still far away from robotaxis.

After the 11.3 debacle, I'm glad that NHTSA is appointing an autopilot skeptic like Missy Cummings as the regulator for this.

What Tesla's engineers have achieved is nothing short of remarkable. If Tesla's partial self-driving package had been marketed honestly instead of being mislabeled as "full" self-driving, we'd be on here talking about how mind-blowing this is. It's Elon Musk's overhyping that's leaving the sour taste in our mouths.

For the record Tesla's engineers were opposed to Elon's full self driving claims back in 2016. This is widely known here in Silicon Valley. Some of them, including engineers that I knew way back in grad school, were even fired for opposing Elon's claims. The engineers were right and Elon Musk was wrong.

Elon can't fool us anymore. We can see with our own eyes and in our own cars that they are still far away from robotaxis.

After the 11.3 debacle, I'm glad that NHTSA is appointing an autopilot skeptic like Missy Cummings as the regulator for this.
You may be right but I would be careful assuming claims made years ago are still pertinent now. We know for sure Tesla has rewritten FSD a couple of times and gone to a vision only system so the playing field is different now. Many of the engineer's criticism's may now be mute. Who really know until this play out for at least another year. By the end of 2022 we should know but betting against Elon is risky IMO. If I had to criticize it would be over the camera locations.

We also have to consider what impact Dojo may have.
Tesla releases Dojo whitepaper, Elon Musk teases as 'more important than it may seem'

I disagree. We paid for the promise of a beta, we got a beta, it's behaving like a beta. We are all adults with drivers licenses and we are all presumably responsible given that we achieved high safety scores. Tesla is doing everything right here. What they've accomplished thus far is nothing short of amazing and I would support them in any way possible to continue. The last thing they need is biased and unfair regulation from people in Washington who don't understand this space, and who have their own agendas.

Skeptic? No. Overly hostile with a huge conflict of interest? Yes. I'm sorry, this is nothing more than the current administration doing an old fashioned shakedown for protection money. The politicians absolutely hate that Tesla doesn't pay it's share of bribes--oops, I mean campaign contributions--and that's why you have constant attacks on Tesla, and every attempt possible being made to freeze Tesla out of the legacy automaker bailouts--oops, I mean EV incentives and EV charging stations funding.

Skeptic? No. Overly hostile with a huge conflict of interest? Yes. I'm sorry, this is nothing more than the current administration doing an old fashioned shakedown for protection money. The politicians absolutely hate that Tesla doesn't pay it's share of bribes--oops, I mean campaign contributions--and that's why you have constant attacks on Tesla, and every attempt possible being made to freeze Tesla out of the legacy automaker bailouts--oops, I mean EV incentives and EV charging stations funding.
Spot on man. She's no "skeptic". She is a full blown Tesla hater as is evident by her previous tweets and posts to TSLAQ (which she has removed).

Just got Beta 10.3.1 last night and did my morning commute into D.C. It handled pretty good, though my drive was a relatively simple one. For anyone who know the area, the trip was from fairfax County Parkway in the Herndon area, down to Braddock, over to 495, and then onto 295N.

I activated while still in my driveway and it attempted to make the left turn out of my driveway and it might have made it but I didn't want to accidentally hit the fie hydrant on the other side of the cul-de-sac street. Was pretty timid making the next two right hand turn in the neighborhood. Right onto the parkway was good with no traffic. All the way down to Braddock was smooth and didn't have any issues with cars merging in from the right on-ramps. I had one phantom braking event with no traffic around and I did the video capture and will email report it. It may have been an overhead sign or maybe an off-ramp, or maybe something else.

The car got a bit confused at the left turn onto Braddock and though it got through ok, I would have intervened had there been a car in the right hand left turn lane next to me.

Getting onto 495 was a little issue. There are 2 merges while on the on ramp. The car handled the first merge with traffic great though there was already good spacing between cars anyway. The second merge with traffic it god confused and started to brake like it was going to slow way down and I intervened because it would have just made a mess of traffic behind me.

Onto the 495 was good and it was able to move over multiple lanes with no problems. The only issue with the lane changes for me is that I wish it would check for a safe lane change BEFORE turning on any turn signals. I wouldn't have a problem with it notifying the driver of a lane change ahead of time but around here turning on the turn signal just tells other cars to block you. There were a couple lane changes where it was perfectly clear but the actual lane change initiation after the turn signal was turned on took way too long(multiple seconds).

Onto 295N was great. 295N was pretty much stop and go, 2 miles to travel took about 25 minutes. I almost always(at least probably 80% of the time) have problems with AP on 295N so I only use AP here after updates to see if anything has improved, and it never has. The problem is that while on AP, the car will decide to start active tracking a vehicle in an adjacent lane(even when there is a vehicle in front of me). Depending on where that other car is and what speed it is going or if it is braking, my car will decide to hard brake and I have to intervene to not piss off the driver behind me. Today, while on FSD it went through the area flawlessly. I will not claim success however because it could have just been a fluke. With the amount of volume and the lower speeds, it may have been a better environment to analyze.

Anyway, that is my trip report!